WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 8" boots for ankle support

I recently broke my ankle on both sides of my foot and now wear a small evo brace with New Balance shoes. The brace does a good job supporting my ankle but the straps from it eventually hurt my feet. I tried heavier socks between my feet and brace. Id never make it hiking very long before the blisters would show up. Im wondering if 8" boots tied closely around my ankle would be enough support my ankle without the brace while hiking. Anyone have success with this? Thanks.

Images

I wore the same brace when I was rehabbing my ankle. I didn't have blisters even with a week on the trail (and months at home.) Sorry you had issues.

I don't think an 8 inch boot would be wrapped/fit tightly enough around the ankle to provide anywhere near the same support that I got from the Aso brace. When I wore taller boots they were tight at the top but my ankle could move inside.

Good luck finding something. You would probably be able to tell in ten minutes of walking around a store if the taller boots provide similar support.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Have you tried a bit of moleskin where the brace an ankle contact? That may help the blistering problem. If the shoes are causing the brace to move out of position and cause blisters, if there is a cobbler near you they may be able to help you if they will work on fabric shoes.

All I can tell you is I have weak ankles. I can't roller skate long in regular tennis shoe like skates.

Knowing this I took my son to a skate party intending to watch. I was talked into skating
    They had leather boots. I was able to skate the whole time I was there without pain.

About 2 hours instead of maybe 15 minutes before I was in too much pain to go on.

Default 8" boots for ankle support

Taller boots are probably not the solution, strengthening the ankles would be a better bet. Ankle workouts are typically the kind you can work in front of your TV. There's plenty of YT videos out there regarding these exercises. The boots will only mask the symptoms of weak ankles, plus the whole "a pound on your feet is 5 on your back" thought line.

Journal Entries

I use Merrell Moab shoes teamed up with silk liner socks, and Vermont Darn Tough socks. Having said that, REI has a short section on lacing boots/shoes to help prevent blisters/slipping in various areas of the foot.
    Blackheart

++ New Posts ++