WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Donation, how much?

For places that have a donation box and no set prices. What do you generally donate for a night?

Twenty bucks.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What amenities are supplied?
    In GSMNP where you pay a fixed feed for a front country campsite, you are provided a tent pad, a parking spot, bathroom facilities, bear-proof trash cans and a fire pit. The cost is in the ball park of $20/night.
    Perhaps use that as a basis to compare the amenities you are supplied (and the potential cost of rendering those amenities depending upon remoteness).

Great of you to ask and realize that donation places depend on the donations to pay the bills. I agree $20 for basic accommodations is probably in the ball park

my thoughts: compare the amenities and quality with a typical hostel and price, and then pay around that if you can afford it, less if you really can't.
    $20 is a decent estimate

I don't recall staying in a place that did not charge a set price and only asked for a donation. What am I missing? Why would an establishment do that?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I don't recall staying in a place that did not charge a set price and only asked for a donation. What am I missing? Why would an establishment do that?
    Legalities. If you set a price you are a business and in many places a license is required. If you just accept free will donations you are merely a nice person.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I cant name them all as they are endless but Kinkora Hostel is donation only as well as the Church in DWG.

$20 is a fair price. If everyone left $20 the Hostel would do just fine. I learned in DWG to be leery of donation only spots as the awareness to lurkers is minimal compared to an actual establishment. Woke up with a homeless man rummaging thru hiker property.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

$20 is certainly a fair donation at those kind of hostels...but keep in mind too many hikers donate nothing. If you have a bit more to spare, the church or other types of donation hostels can really use your support.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

i often wondered, what happen to the money you donate? When I was at the old Iron Master's Hostel, (Not the current ownership.) the hostel management would often stuff the money into their own pockets. (To be used for for them selves and not the hostel.)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    For places that have a donation box and no set prices. What do you generally donate for a night?
    I have been a volunteer caretaker at The Cabin on Upper Goose Pond for quite a while. When I first started the cabin had posted rates of, $2 to use a tent platform and $3 to stay in the cabin. These prices included a pancake and coffee breakfast. Most of the guests were happy to pay this amount, for what they were getting. Several years ago the management committee decided to go to a donation system. Hikers could donate what ever they wanted to give. Most hikers, especially section hikers, would donate a fair amount. Some donating over $20 to stay. Over the past few years I have noticed a trend, among younger thru-hikers not to donate at all because a donation is a option and not a requirement.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    i often wondered, what happen to the money you donate? When I was at the old Iron Master's Hostel, (Not the current ownership.) the hostel management would often stuff the money into their own pockets. (To be used for for them selves and not the hostel.)
    Just wondering how you know that they don't use the money for the hostel?
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Saw it myself. The hostel manager (At the time) thought she didn't make enough money so she helped herself to it. She even admitted that she did it all the time. This side note, I was a volunteer for 20+ years at the hostel so I saw a lot that went on behind closed doors. 99% of the money that you give to any hostel goes there for upkeep to the hostel There will be always be "Bad Apples" in any place. All I'm saying is make sure you know exactly where your money is going and what it is used for. Read online reviews and talk to other hiker groups that may use that hostel.

The point of a donation, is to pay what you can afford, not to worry about what anyone else donates.

There's a range: From the person/people running the place who are doing so out of the generosity of spirit, and are happy to let people stay for free... to those who just use the donations system to bypass taxes and undercut other legitimately run businesses in the area... to those who care less about your money and are just looking for a grateful captive audience to preach at.

Kick in some dollars if you can, but regardless of what you pay, thank the hostess/host and be respectful to those you're sharing the space with, clean up after yourself, don't get sloppy impaired, don't get loud, that kind of stuff. Maybe just chat with the lonely person running the hostel.

-

If I like the experience at a donation based hostel, I will give more than a comparable "set fee" place - to try and offset the many deadbeats who will pay nothing

++ New Posts ++