WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You don't need canister. Do a search on hanging food bag. Make her first hike easy and she may want to hike again.

Images

How'd the trip go?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

We ended up doing:

Day 1 Woody to Wood Hole Shelter
    Day 2 Woods Hole to Neel Gap, hang at store for a few hours, then hiked north 1mile+ camped probably near Bulls Camp site (Raven Cliffs area) or something like that. Heavy rain at night.
    Day 3 Messy morning with light rain, broke down inside tent, hiked back to Neels, shuttle back to car in Woody

So about 12 miles total

GF endured no problem.

Sleep was bad for both of us. I tried for the 1st time my REI Air Rail (Long), tossed and turned all night. I dont dislike (its quiet, and not bouncy, I like the rails) but....I guess either I get a thicker pad or next time add my Thermarest Sol Lite under the Air Rail?

No bears (but that area is bear busy apparently)

Images

When I slept on the ground, the first night out was always poor sleep, and second night always the best. But overall, I'd come back tired and wanting to go to bed early.

Not the case anymore in a hammock. Lots of pros and cons on either side of the tent v. hammock choice, but for me it has improved both my overall enjoyment of the outdoors AND my ability to come home and be 100% dad and husband when I get there.

For now, I'd add the Sol Lite if you can afford the extra bulk.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Thank you all! Yes, ill try w +Sol Lite next time. Im curious about hammocks but I dont want to spend $ nor do I have time to research and go buy etc.

By the way, the tent's ground print came in handy as an entrance mat during the rainy conditions. Do you all use anything else?

Also, what can diminish backsplash on tent when it rains?

Images

Site selection. Backsplash occurs with water sits on the hard, flat dirt and water starts to pool on top. Large campsites will have this larger cleared area that your tent doesn't cover where you get the backsplash. Choosing smaller sites where there is more water absorbing natural material around you can minimize or eliminate backsplash.

p.s. I don't blame you with regard to hammocks, especially in girlfriend mode.
    - Kate Chopin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++