WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Store gear at Newfound Gap

Does anyone know of anyplace to store/hide gear at Newfound Gap ?? PLanning a hike from Clingman's Dome north and would like to travel as light as possible from the top to the Gap before loading up our packs for the remaining trip

Leonidas

Your only option would be to store it in a vehicle, that might be frowned upon as well. I can't recall the specifics on overnight vehicle parking there. Someone should be along shortly with more info.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

If you got gear you dont need for 7 mi.

Then you got gear you dont need.

Otherwise, your just gambling you wont need it

Which is dumb

$hit happens. Which is why we carry the gear all the time.

Its your survival kit. Literally.

Journal Entries

So this is just for the day, right? Just from Clingman's Dome to NFG? A car is definitely the easiest way, assuming you're driving there. Or you could hide something in the woods near NFG I guess, but if it's food, expect an animal to find it. The NFG parking lot is a busy place. The AT in that area is pretty busy too.

NFG is a zoo. I'm sure if you're creative enough you could find a stash somewhere. There is a public restroom there too, if you trust someone not to walk off with your stuff. If I was forced to do this, I'd pay someone in Gatlinburg to meet me at NFG at a certain time with my gear.
    It is what it is.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If a ranger finds your gear, they will seize it.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Based on a quick review of what I could find in the GSMNP compendium of regulations:
    1. Food & trash may never be left unattended anywhere in the national park unless it is properly stored (trash bin, bear cables, locked vehicle, or bear lockers provided at front country campsites for motorcyclist).
    2. With the exceptions of cars and boats at trailheads, personal property can not be 'stored' in the back country. The compendium specifically states
    Except for vehicles/vessels left while the operator is in the backcountry on an overnight hike, there should be no reason for objects to be unattended for more than 24 hours.
    So as long as you have your food & trash properly stored or in your possession, it would seem legal to leave your pack stashed somewhere for a short period of time. However, you leave your gear at risk from 2 legged and 4 legged animals.

However, regardless of what the formal rules say, I would expect that if a ranger finds gear that is unattended in an unexpected location (say somewhere other than outside of a restroom while the owner is 'busy' or at a camp ground), he's likely to collect it if the owner can not quickly be located.

Since food should be stored in vehicles, storing food or gear inside a vehicle should be fine. However, to ensure the car doesn't get towed away, you need a valid camping permit with your license plate number assigned to the permit while you're in the back country. As long as the license plate matches the application of a valid permit, and the vehicle is legally parked, your vehicle and anything you want to store in it should be fine while you're in the back country.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-22-2018 at 18:37.

So you are willing to go off and leave your home,food/water,clothes etc everything on your back that you need for survival and hope its there when you show back up.
    You can't be serious.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by goatee View Post
    So you are willing to go off and leave your home,food/water,clothes etc everything on your back that you need for survival and hope its there when you show back up.
    You can't be serious.
    thats being a tad melodramtaic. were these hikers to arrive at NFG and find all of their stuff gone theyd hitch into gatlinburg (or back to their car at clingman's dome?) and the hike would be over. theyre not depending on the gear being there for their survival.

i esp like the posts that suggest hiking from clingmans to newfound gap without a full set of gear is reckless. you can't be serious, you really carry everything you need for an unexpected night in the woods every time you take a 7 mile day hike?

actually, what am i saying, of course some of you do lol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    thats being a tad melodramtaic. were these hikers to arrive at NFG and find all of their stuff gone theyd hitch into gatlinburg (or back to their car at clingman's dome?) and the hike would be over. theyre not depending on the gear being there for their survival.

i esp like the posts that suggest hiking from clingmans to newfound gap without a full set of gear is reckless. you can't be serious, you really carry everything you need for an unexpected night in the woods every time you take a 7 mile day hike?

that said, to the OP i would suggest 7 miles isnt worth it and NFG is too busy a place.

15 miles to a quite roadside that doesnt get a whole ton of traffic? i'd consider it

Journal Entries

I certainly do when that 7 mi is the start of a 50 mi hike or into remote location.

What i might not take ...is food. Shelter, insulation, etc, comes along. On dayhikes into places where overnight temp or weather might kill.

Of course my pack only weighs about 7.5 lb.......so what do I care.

If you cant carry your pack 7 easy mi....hmm
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-22-2018 at 19:42.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I certainly do when that 7 mi is the start of a 50 mi hike or into remote location.

What i might not take ...is food. Shelter, insulation, etc, comes along. On dayhikes into places where overnight temp or weather might kill.

Of course my pack only weighs about 7.5 lb.......so what do I care.

If you cant carry your pack 7 easy mi....hmm
    but in this case that first 7 miles is not to a remote location. i dont see this as starting a backpacking trip without your pack, i see this as taking a dayhike before a backpacking trip.

again, i point out the obvious- if they arrive at NFG and their packs are gone they are out their gear and their hike is over, but they are not in danger.

and to suggest hiking from clingmans dome to NFG without a full set of gear equipped to spend the night outside is reckless... well, HYOH i guess, but i doubt these people would be the first to attempt such a crazy stunt.

Journal Entries

but in this case that first 7 miles is not to a remote location. i dont see this as starting a backpacking trip without your pack, i see this as taking a dayhike before a backpacking trip.

again, i point out the obvious- if they arrive at NFG and their packs are gone they are out their gear and their hike is over, but they are not in danger.

and to suggest hiking from clingmans dome to NFG without a full set of gear equipped to spend the night outside is reckless... well, HYOH i guess, but i doubt these people would be the first to attempt such a crazy stunt.
    Its not legal to do
    And its a lazy persons MO.

Stash in vehicle, legal. OK.
    Still 7 easy mi.make no difference.
    Twist ankle, have to spend night. Prepared?
    It rains in gsmnp, a lot. Its a rain forest. Hypothermia is real, mostly occurs in 60-70f.

To who?
    People ....un....pre.....pared.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-22-2018 at 19:57.

Images

Its not legal to do

its not legal to stash gear in the woods?

how is that any different than leaving a tent up, with gear inside and out----while one goes fishing or on a dayhike?

food i can understand not to stash but straight up gear?

(and yeah, i wouldnt leave my gear stashed at NFG just based on theft)

Images

Its not legal to do
    And its a lazy persons MO.

Stash in vehicle, legal. OK.
    Still 7 easy mi.make no difference.
    Twist ankle, have to spend night. Prepared?
    It rains in gsmnp, a lot. Its a rain forest. Hypothermia is real, mostly occurs in 60-70f.

To who?
    People ....un....pre.....pared.
    on any given summer day how many would you guess day hike at least 3 miles without carrying over night gear in GSMNP? how many cases of hypothermia that cause an SAR to be launched occur?

i agree on one hand. its 7 easy miles. not worth the hassle. and NFG is no place to be trying to hide things for later. i wouldnt do it, but not because its reckless. ive done things like it other times.

the craziest thing like this i've ever seen? hiker comes down from madison spring hut. hitches to gorham because hes having a footwear issue or something, i forget. figures since hs had to come down, i might as well drop off all my overnight gear at a hotel. hitches back down to pinkham notch, goes over wildcat, spends the night (as a work for stay no less) at carter notch hut, out to rt 2 over the carters and hitch back to the hotel in gorham where he elft everything.

the kicker? pouring rain and wind the whole time.

the person who did this was very experienced and knew exactly what he was doing.

Journal Entries

Even for any dayhike in mountains
    Id argue raingear and emergency SOL bivy or E-blanket, snacks, water is minimum
    In a pack

So...how much you saving? Vs hassle?

Like i said, my total pack and gear is 7.5 lb....i have no reason to leave anything behind ever. Man dayhikers packs are no lighter because they have cheap heavy raingear, heavy cheap daypacks, camelbacks, no filter so carry 4 L, etc.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-22-2018 at 20:14.

Images

Even for any dayhike in mountains
    Id argue raingear and emergency SOL bivy or E-blanket, snacks, water is minimum
    In a pack

So...how much you saving? Vs hassle?

keep in mind, OP has said nothing about what gear he or she would take........

just asking about stashing gear in the woods to make it lighter.....

so, by definition-----OP could be taking gear you suggest and leaving behind other stuff.........the heavier stuff like books and rocks and cast iron skillet.......

My guess is he wants to dump most of the pack contents at NFG, drive over to the Clingmans parking lot and start from there. Or how else would he get there?

If the plan is to hike from Clingmans to Ice water Spring, then not lugging the full pack for the first 7 miles would be a big help, especially at 68 years old. I seem to remember those 7 miles were some of the worse in the park. But it was raining and that was no doubt a factor in my impressions.

Unfortunately, there is no good place to stash gear at the gap. Especially if that gear is food. If you have to carry the food, you need your pack so at that point, you might as well bring everything.

So, what are the options?
    1) Park at NFG, day hike SOBO to Clingmans and then beg a ride back to the gap. Pick up your gear (food) and continue on.
    2) Just start at NFG and forget about those 7 miles back to Clingmans.

If your getting shuttled to Clingmans, then option 1 won't work. Then it's carry the full pack the 7 miles or start at NFG.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I kayak in the gsmnp, and my experience is, if you look like you are doing something "extreme" like Whitewater or backpacking, the tourists are eager to give you a ride. I've never waited longer than 15 minutes for a hitch. Just pay them back with engaging conversation and a hearty thank you.

That said, if you must drop gear, park at nfg, hitch to clingmans and hike back to the car.

If no car at nfg, suck it up and carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman4851 View Post
    Does anyone know of anyplace to store/hide gear at Newfound Gap ?? PLanning a hike from Clingman's Dome north and would like to travel as light as possible from the top to the Gap before loading up our packs for the remaining trip
    Knowing what gear you want to stash would be helpful. Can it be secured with a lock? Is it something besides food and smellables? I have stashed my bicycle in the woods in the Smokies, secured to a tree.

I would choose the tree line across the road from NFG (the Clingmans Dome side) as you’d be less likely to have issues from casual tourists.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++