WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Parking at Gold Hill TH - Late Sept Traverse of 10-Mile Range and Part of Gore Range

I am planning a hike of the 10-Mile Range and Gore Range to the side trail for Silverthorne during the last week of September using the Summit Stage to close the loop.

Is it safe to leave my car at the Gold Hill TH?

What kind of weather is it reasonable to expect?
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries

Never left a car there<br>
    Seen cars there both times i hiked from there<br>
    <br>
    I think it would be fine place<br><br>Theres logging operation of dead trees going on and their staging area is 1/4 mi past or so, so lot traffic in day

Late Sept could be 80 or 20F. But should be stable and predictable for couple days. 1 ft snow isnt out of question.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-22-2018 at 14:07.

the car situation will be totally fine. the weather situation is hard to be predicted. day time will likely be warm but prepare for chilly nights. Also, if you're taking the "free bus" from Frisco (the Summit Stage) towards Breckenridge, the bus stop you want to listen out for is called "Revette Drive" I think. Tell the bus driver when you hop on that's where you're headed. Just something I learned and wish I would have known ahead of time.

If you are leaving your car there for a while with valuables I'd call the breck pd or the colorado trail foundation to see if there have breakins there recently. TH is on route 9 which see's a lot of traffic.

Fall is starting to show up, aspens are changing, temp starting to get a little crisp at night, monsoon season wrapping up so a good chance of sunny days without much worry about afternoon thunderstorms . Chances are pretty slim it will snow and if it does it usually burns off as quickly as it comes. If a fluke storm comes in you can bail easily.

IMO September really is the best time to be backpacking here in summit and elsewhere in CO as the crowds head home. Have fun!

Images

We've left our car there twice for multi-day CT trail hikes, no problem, the lot is quite visible and open with lots of use and traffic, so I would not worry about theft, though of course it can happen anywhere, very unlikely. I worry only slightly about those remote trailheads, never about very public ones, just my own way of seeing things.

And, agree with KW, September weather is usually pretty darn nice, though it is certainly NOT right now, kinda unusual, but should improve. We just got off of 18 days of CT hiking, it rained (some days pretty hard) or threatened to rain practically every day, even into early September, again, kinda unusual.

And, coincidentally, we're planning on an attempt at the 10-mile traverse in a couple weeks ourselves, always wanted to give that "day hike" a shot! If we fail to do the whole thing, we at least want to do peaks 1-7 or so.

Based on the water levels that I saw in southwest Colorado in mid-August, ALL precipitation is GOOD! The level of the San Juan River through Pagosa Springs was particularly low.
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Based on the water levels that I saw in southwest Colorado in mid-August, ALL precipitation is GOOD! The level of the San Juan River through Pagosa Springs was particularly low.
    Wayne
    Absolutely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    the lot is quite visible and open with lots of use and traffic, so I would not worry about theft, though of course it can happen anywhere, very unlikely. I worry only slightly about those remote trailheads, never about very public ones, just my own way of seeing things.
    I'll second this. I hiked the CDT last year, my friend picked me up for a ride into Breck here at the Gold Hill TH. It was right along the very busy highway, probably not the first place a thief would choose. I would park my car there.
    Last edited by seekinglost; 01-18-2019 at 12:39.

One doesn't need to leave a car there for that loop. Being the Handlebar I know I'd leave my car at/near either of the Breck Hostels, etc or the USPO Parking Lot or the Lot near the tram along the creek and take the short bus ride to the GH Bus Stop. The TH is just a stone's throw from the bus stop. This way the hostel owners/operators can watch your car even leaving your keys with them. Less to be concerned about while away from your vehicle. Lots of people thru traveling/transients, out of town day hikers, leaf peepers, and seasonal activity ramping up late Sept through Breck, Frisco, Keystone, Silverthorne, etc via Hwy 9. It's not that far from I 70 too.

Images

Parked there and all was fine. There were cars from several other hikers we met on the trail also. Beautiful weather for our hike over the 10-mile range, Uneva and Eccles Pass and down into Silverthorne. Took the amazing and free Summit Stage bus back to the car.

I wouldn't want to leave my car at Gold Hill TH for more than the 4 nights (Wednesday PM thru Sunday about noon) it was there. If your hike would be longer, I recommend one of the options Dogwood posted.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++