WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is a reason farming was invented. Sure, if you happen to see something eatable along the side of the trail scoop it up, but your not going to find enough to live on. If your on the trail starting in March, there is nothing growing along the side of the trail until some time in April.
    One of my favorite plants is Chickweed and it's a winter annual and is often seen growing in the snow. It's very succulent and a great salad edible.

See---

http://www.juliasedibleweeds.com/rec...ant-in-winter/

You should have been along on the Lewis & Clark Expedition. They hunted, foraged, gathered and fished for most of their food.
    However, they nearly perished from malnutrition brought about by their preference for venison, elk and bison.
    Believe it not, AT hikers rarely die from a diet of Little Debbie’s, Twinkies, Moon Pies, Snickers, Tuna, Knorr Sides, Nut Butters, Pizza, Beer & Ice Cream. And the occasional all you can eat salad bar. Supplemented by mail drops of grass fed jerky, organic dried veggies and fruit, etc.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You should have been along on the Lewis & Clark Expedition. They hunted, foraged, gathered and fished for most of their food.
    However, they nearly perished from malnutrition brought about by their preference for venison, elk and bison.
    Believe it not, AT hikers rarely die from a diet of Little Debbie’s, Twinkies, Moon Pies, Snickers, Tuna, Knorr Sides, Nut Butters, Pizza, Beer & Ice Cream. And the occasional all you can eat salad bar. Supplemented by mail drops of grass fed jerky, organic dried veggies and fruit, etc.
    Wayne
    Being a near-lifelong vegetarian I'd have a hard time on the Lewis & Clark Diet. I read in a book they ate 9 lbs of fresh meat a day. And in my opinion they mindlessly killed way too many grizzly bears in their trek of "discovery".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++