WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GSMNP H2O?: Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap

What's the current situation like along this stretch? AWOL shows a spring at Icewater Shelter (210.4), but from there to Tri Corner Shelter (223), it only shows one water source, and that is a half-filled droplet indicating a seasonal water source, at Pecks Corner (217.8). Is it actually pretty dry through here?

I appreciate any insights and recent experiences!
    It is what it is.

It would behoove you to download the guthooks app
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

You hiking with muzkrat... the same question just got asked over here:
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...-Davenport-Gap

But my basic answer was that it's been a wet summer in GSMNP, so water will be available at all the shelters.
    Otherwise, water will be generally rare since you're mostly walking the ridge line. I know there will be a few good water sources right on the trail as you round Mt. Guyot. You might or might not encounter some small seeps when the trail dips down below the ridge line, like as you pass below Mt. Cammerer. But otherwise, you can plan on it being dry between shelters.

If you get really desperate, about half way between Icewater Spring and Pecks, there's a spot called "False Gap" where you might still see the old trail to the left that leads to False Gap shelter. This is an old shelter torn down decades ago apparently because the ground was eroding away too quickly (and you'll see this if you follow the trail down). There should be an old spring that supplied water to this old shelter, but I wouldn't recommend planing on watering up there because it's about a 1/4 mile hike and about a 250' elevation drop down to the ruins of the old shelter.

There should be plenty of water at Pecks... the problem is that if you're not planning on staying at Pecks, it's about a half-mile trek down to the shelter and then down the hillside to the water source.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-20-2018 at 15:17.

My man Muzkrat!...sure am. Great intel HKDK, I really appreciate it!
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++