WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap.

How is the water supply.,

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

It's been raining in GSMNP... the water is fine.
    There will be water at all of the shelters, and there's a couple of good water sources right on the trail as you round Mt.Guyot.
    Otherwise, water is scares along most of the ridge.

It would behoove you to download the guthooks app
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I have the guthook app. Was just checking for recent updates . It looks like the supply between shelters varies depending on rain

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by muzkrat View Post
    I have the guthook app. Was just checking for recent updates . It looks like the supply between shelters varies depending on rain
    Yes... and No.

The AT is pretty much walking the ridge line, and as such, there's just no where for water to drain from.

There are a few spots where the trail gets below ridge line, and if it just rained, you might have a small seep you could collect from.

Two weeks ago, I hiked between Cosby and TriCorner, and a month before that, I hiked between TriCorner and Pecks. It was actively raining at times during both hikes, and I don't recall seeing any water sources I would want to try to collect from except at the shelters and beside Mt. Guyot.

Based on previous experience, I also expect there to be some water as you come off the ridge line below Mt. Cammerer, and I THINK there might have been some water on the small mountain top you round going by Cosby Know (but since I had water from Cosby, didn't need to try to collect from those).

I recall starting the day off from Cosby with not much water... and ran out before I reached Guyot. I seem to recall collecting water from a seep somewhere between Cosby and Guyot, in case I did run out. But it was silty enough that I carried it until I reached Guyot just in case I NEEDED water, but instead held out for the clean water source I knew I'd find along side Guyot.

Looks like we will be bringing the bladders. Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank You for your time.

++ New Posts ++