WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Try getting a decent, modern tent with a Cuben (DCF) floor. No water absorption at all. But yeah, if you Must carry a footprint, let it at least be polycryo.
    #GoFundMyDCFTent.
    Or how about this:
    1.5 mil heat shrink window film 3’x7’.
    20 ounce TarpTent StratoSpire 1 rain fly.
    Enough change from a DCF tent to get me to Wyoming and back.
    One solution rarely fits all.
    It’s all good folks! Run what you brung. Just get outside.
    Wayne

Agree. Never used one .............
    So you never used one. That doesn't exactly make you an expert on the utility of a ground sheet. As others have said they have many uses other than protecting the bottom of your tent. Try it sometime and maybe you will like it or not but at least then you will have a fully informed opinion.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Not that this thread needs another 2 cents from another hiker, but what the hell, it's better than watching the TV show my wife is watching right now.

I pretty much always use a footprint when camping in front-country and never in the back country. It's a weight weeny thing.

I rarely use my tents as I vastly prefer my tarps. But, that being said, I've worn out two tents in my life.

My 40 year old Frostline tent, although still used, has a problem with the PU peeling off the inside of the fly, a hole in the bug net, and a hole chewed in the floor by some vermin. Before the vermine hole, about 10 years ago, which would be easily fixable if I cared any more, the tent has kept me reasonably dry pitched in a puddle.

My Canadian Mountain Equipment Coop expedition tent (8 lbs and able to withstand hurricanes!) is about 22 years old. It has had zipper faileur on both doors in the first few years (now replaced and failing again). None of the fabric shows any significant wear or deterioration. The floor has never been waterproof to the point of being able to sit in a puddle and stay completely dry. Sitting on the floor in snow will cause a damp spot to appear. Using a footprint doesn't help all that much as there is never all that much moisture in the tent, and even with a footprint, some seems to inevitably get in.

My less than 10 year old REI Quarterdome and BA Copper Spur and BA Fly Creek are all fully functioning and not leaking.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    So you never used one. That doesn't exactly make you an expert on the utility of a ground sheet. As others have said they have many uses other than protecting the bottom of your tent. Try it sometime and maybe you will like it or not but at least then you will have a fully informed opinion.
    So true. It's like me criticizing hammocks even though I've never once carried one or slept in one. The true experts on ground sheets have used them in all configurations---as a tarp floor, as a second tent floor, as an extra thorn barrier, as an emergency pack poncho when caught in a rainstorm deluge, as a tent fly UV protector during sunny days in camp, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    kept me reasonably dry pitched in a puddle.

The floor has never been waterproof to the point of being able to sit in a puddle and stay completely dry. Sitting on the floor in snow will cause a damp spot to appear.
    The biggest need for a "second tent floor" ground cloth in my opinion is to add a waterproof layer to a low hydrostatic tent floor. How do you know you have a low hydrostatic tent floor?

Make a puddle in the backyard grass with a garden hose and unzip your tent place your tent floor on top of the puddle. Now sit on the floor with your butt for 5 minutes and see if any water seeps thru. If so, the tent floor leaks or sponges up water thru the fabric weave. This will happen in the right conditions---heavy rainstorms or atop wet slushy snow. A decent ground cloth should also pass this test---do it separately from the tent test.

I have found certain fabrics to work with this pressure test while others fail miserably.

On almost every trip I take I get into a storm which produces sufficient rain to cause pooling ground water under the tent---and so the tent floor must not let this water inside with body weight pressure.

Some people will say, "Use better site selection!" but this is usually impossible in the Southeast mountains where I backpack. Plus, on many rugged and difficult trails in the TN/NC mountains you'll be lucky to find a level or almost level spot for miles around---and this is the spot you must use. With enough rain pouring off a tent fly, it will pool under the tent temporarily. There's a reason it's called a "bathtub floor".

Images

What should I do: start carrying a useless item for a few years, never use it, so that I could discuss the pros and cons of carrying this item?

I don't know, I think my opinion is completely valid on this particular thread, the title of which is "Footprints are a Complete Waste of Money, Space, and Weight" even though I'm only a one-sided expert.... Since I've never, ever needed one in something on the order of a thousand plus night sleeping in a tent, why would not I be informed as to this opinion? The OP said, "discuss". I'm discussing.

I don't consider the opinion of those folks who have never NOT had one to be "uninformed", though, again, I would hope sometime those who do carry unnecessary weight would try not doing it. I bet after trying not using a footprint for a while, many folks would finally get over them.

What should I do: start carrying a useless item for a few years, never use it, so that I could discuss the pros and cons of carrying this item?.............
    How about not acting like an expert on something you have no experience with?

Try getting a decent, modern tent with a Cuben (DCF) floor. No water absorption at all.
    Might be cheaper to hire a sherpa to carry your tent or get married so your partner can split the load.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Might be cheaper to hire a sherpa to carry your tent or get married so your partner can split the load.
    Say what?!

Sharing the load with my wife means I have to add 10 lbs to my solo base weight. Yeah, she carries half, but half of twice as much stuff!! Heck, she even wants us to carry one of those damn footprints. Yuck! Don't do it. You'll regret it!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Well, already married and we BP together all the time, and we do share the load. But yeah, DCF tents ain't cheap...

How about not acting like an expert on something you have no experience with?
    Yikes! Sorry I got under your skin there TB. Peace?

..........Yikes! Sorry I got under your skin there TB. Peace?
    It is all good. I guess if we were sitting around a campfire and talking we would be friends and be enjoying the great outdoors together. After all that is what is all about.

I used a ground sheet for probably 22-23 (maybe more) years. I have not used one for the last, oh, 6-7 years. They are not necessary. I have LW to thank for my change in opinion on this matter.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

a lot of mention of polycro earlier.... I've been wondering....that stuff is very thin as I understand it. Seems like it wouldn't do much good with regard to some of the reasons given for ground sheets....protection from sharp objects, abrasion, setting up on bare solid granite ....
    I get it for water resistance, keeping dirt off, but no so much for the other stuff.

Is it good enough to use in some of these applications.... or use as a barrier under an inflatable pad on a splintery shelter floor, with popped up nail heads and such?

But then as I write this and think it through, I suppose if the premise is that it's not necessary for any of these reasons then I guess it makes sense to use it as a bonus to cover some of the reasons for using one//namely the dirt and water.

If you prowl the internet you’ll find polycryo, heat shrink window insulating film, in thicknesses from 0.6 mil to 1.5 mil. I bought a large piece of the 1.5 mil film from ACE hardware for $10 a couple years ago. It’s enough for several ground sheets for my Xtherm pad or my StratoSpire 1. The 1.5 mil film is sturdy.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    a lot of mention of polycro earlier.... I've been wondering....that stuff is very thin as I understand it. Seems like it wouldn't do much good with regard to some of the reasons given for ground sheets....protection from sharp objects, abrasion, setting up on bare solid granite ....
    I get it for water resistance, keeping dirt off, but no so much for the other stuff.

Is it good enough to use in some of these applications.... or use as a barrier under an inflatable pad on a splintery shelter floor, with popped up nail heads and such?

But then as I write this and think it through, I suppose if the premise is that it's not necessary for any of these reasons then I guess it makes sense to use it as a bonus to cover some of the reasons for using one//namely the dirt and water.
    On the contrary, it's pretty good for moderately sharp objects and abrasion. Testing a piece of scrap out in my kitchen I found that it really does resist puncturing, say, with a fork. But a sharp steak knife will readily pierce it, and once pierced, the tear will run very easily to the edge. Kind of like a mylar chip bag (most recent example here - the inner bag for a box of Cheese Nips - once you get a tear in the body you should just toss the packaging and put the remaining chips/crackers in a rigid plastic storage container).

Anyway they're so inexpensive you should grab a small sheet and test it out for yourself. I think at my local big box hardware store, you can get one that is 3.5' x 5' for under $2. Not perfect size for a footprint, but it's a cheap way to test it out. And frankly, it may be sufficiently long for a footprint, in that there's probably considerably less abrasion force at the foot end of your tent. Width, you may need to trim, depending. Use a marker and cut on the inside of your line so that your tent's floor covers it completely. You don't want water to run off the fly and collect on the topside of the footprint, for then it'll channel the water right under your tent, instead of running off to the ground.

Don't know about granite.

If you do opt to use a groundsheet you should rethink your size requirements. Most say just a few inches smaller than your tent. But if you think about it you probably only need something about the size of your sleeping mat as this is where most of the pressure/use is applied to your tent flooring. Perhaps a bit wider to account for your entryway? But you don't need something under your entire tent floor.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If you prowl the internet you’ll find polycryo, heat shrink window insulating film, in thicknesses from 0.6 mil to 1.5 mil. I bought a large piece of the 1.5 mil film from ACE hardware for $10 a couple years ago. It’s enough for several ground sheets for my Xtherm pad or my StratoSpire 1. The 1.5 mil film is sturdy.
    Wayne
    I found the box of Polycryo.
    ACE Hardware stock #59903
    1.5 mil x 84” x 110”
    Plus!
    1/2” x 34’ double stick tape.
    Wayne

Even if I was willing to double the cost of my Lightheart for a cuben tent just to save 10 oz, I'd still carry the footprint. I'd just figure that the convenience of wiping down my 1oz scrap of polycro instead of a tent was even less of a burden.

I never had any problem with snow on any tent whatsoever, in Melbourne.
    (it does not snow here..)
    Up in the Alps the situation is different...
    The point here is that, as always, it depends.
    My advice is : if you can walk barefooted where you intend to pitch, you don't need one.
    The converse is also true (in my opinion)
    Because I am careful in finding the right location , I don't use one however there are places where the ground is too rough on standard tent floors.

Journal Entries

Only thing footprints are, is heavy and expensive for what offer to a hiker.

They have positive attributes:
    Protect floor, which is difficult to replace (or impracticle)
    Reduce internal condensation by reducing ground moisture diffusion.

They are perfect for car campers.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-27-2018 at 22:05.

Journal Entries

OK everyone, here's my dollars worth. I always used just a painters plastic drop cloth under my tent. It keeps the bottom free from dirt and dampness and you just pick up a clean tent and stuff it. No need for a special footprint. Just make sure that it's cut slightly smaller than the floor. Is everyone rich? why all this talk about expensive footprints. At the end of the trip just toss it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++