WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Little girls like poop hikes, too. You are getting really good advice in this thread, OP, and I don't have a lot to add. In my experience with my granddaughters, now 9 and almost 6, the hike has to be "interesting" (wildlife, waterfalls, other hikers, views, a little climbing), and not too long. You can start with short walks in the backyard -- look for bugs and flowers, listen for birds, and so on. If you have a magnifying glass, take that along ,too.

Once your niece can hold her head up well (maybe 6 months of age, but it varies), she will probably enjoy riding in a child backpack. She'll be able to see a lot from her lofty perch, and you'll know she's safe up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    The magic age is five(5) years old.

Hey guy with hydration pack, 2 hiking sticks & North Face vest; my 5 yr old walked the same trail in Crocs carrying a naked Barbie. Relax.

The kid will let you know but remember you will need permission from mom, dad, grandma, etc.
    I realise I need permission, but her mother is the most relaxed mother I've ever seen and is happy for everybody to get involved. I'm already going to be talking to the child in Spanish to see if she can learn from an early age. Theatre visits and baking cakes together will be pencilled in when I can find a forum to ask the "minimum age to bake a cake" question. I'm really quite excited about the whole thing. Thanks for the congratulations and advice, folks.
    But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Little girls like poop hikes, too. You are getting really good advice in this thread, OP, and I don't have a lot to add. In my experience with my granddaughters, now 9 and almost 6, the hike has to be "interesting" (wildlife, waterfalls, other hikers, views, a little climbing), and not too long. You can start with short walks in the backyard -- look for bugs and flowers, listen for birds, and so on. If you have a magnifying glass, take that along ,too.

Once your niece can hold her head up well (maybe 6 months of age, but it varies), she will probably enjoy riding in a child backpack. She'll be able to see a lot from her lofty perch, and you'll know she's safe up there.
    What's a poop hike? A hike to do a poop or what?
    But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    As a parent, hiker, outdoorsman, camper, ect. you start taking your child with you on adventures as infants. Their first "hike" will likely be 3-4 steps on a boardwalk holding mom's hands.

As an uncle- expect to wait a decade or more before counting on a reliable hiking partner. Even then, your expectations for a "hike" will need to be malleable.
    I'm not lookig for a hiking partner, I'm just looking for something nice to do with my niece. If I take her a few hikes, I'm sure she'll let it be known if she likes it or not. And if she grows out of it when Saturday jobs and boys are altogether more fascinating, well, that's fine.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgiewave View Post
    What's a poop hike? A hike to do a poop or what?
    See post #20. Just refers to engaging children by teaching them to closely observe what's around them, including animal poop on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    See post #20. Just refers to engaging children by teaching them to closely observe what's around them, including animal poop on the trail.
    Oh, I see. Thank you. Observing one's surroundings is a good reason to get outside in the first place.

One of the games we played with the kids in the woods was, "Bring me 10 plants or other items one could eat" or, "bring me 10 items that are poisonous".
    And then we sat down and munched on the samples of task #1.

I hadn't thought that a child might need entertainment along the way. A good tip!

Maybe not entertainment, exactly, but you do need to engage them somehow, either through conversation, observation of nature, map reading, photos, etc. It all depends on the age and personality of the child, of course.

One further piece of advice: make sure they have plenty of snacks available. My grandkids need snacks to a level I hadn't dreamed possible, and if they don't get them, you could be in for whining, and that's to be avoided at all costs.

Journal Entries

...One further piece of advice: make sure they have plenty of snacks available. My grandkids need snacks to a level I hadn't dreamed possible, and if they don't get them, you could be in for whining, and that's to be avoided at all costs.
    My husband needs snacks to a level I hadn't dreamed possible, and yes, he whines. He's just a big kid with gray hair. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgiewave View Post
    I'm not lookig for a hiking partner, I'm just looking for something nice to do with my niece. If I take her a few hikes, I'm sure she'll let it be known if she likes it or not. And if she grows out of it when Saturday jobs and boys are altogether more fascinating, well, that's fine.
    Try not to overthink it.

Even before you can take her on an actual walk in the woods, introduce her to outdoor activities where she will be moving and engaged like camping, going to a local playground or even playing in the backyard with toys. By the age of 3 most children will be speaking their own mind, and telling you if they do or do not want to do something. As long as you introduce hiking as a fun and exciting and are enthusiastic about it, they will be on board from the very beginning. Just make sure to not push them beyond their limits early on.

Plan trips that have a payoff, like a waterfall, an overlook, or even just a creek to splash around in and throw rocks.

Bring lots of snacks and water. Granola bars, fruit, sandwiches, goldfish crackers. A hungry or thirsty kid is a cranky kid.

Teach them to identify things in nature. Animals, birds, insects, tracks, scat, trees, flowers, all sorts of different things that can catch their attention. There are very good field guilds that are available to help with identification.

The biggest thing is to make it fun and enjoyable for everyone.

Like I mentioned in my previous post a child carrier backpack is a great way to introduce her to hiking trails. Ages 1-2 she could easily ride all day watching the scenery and talking and singing with the occasional nap sprinkled in. Right around her 3rd birthday mine asked if I would take her out of the backpack so she could walk like her big brothers. 3 months later as I was driving to the trail, she told me she wanted to walk the whole thing and she wanted to leave the backpack in the car. I was surprised and absolutely delighted. That was the day she walked 5 trail miles for the first time. Previously her best was about 3 miles. Children will surprise you in many ways with what they are capable of. Each one has their own little voice.

My kids started on overnight trips at around 4. Expect to stop and examine every rock, flower bug track, and yes, scat, that you come across. We can learn a lot from little kids.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Kids are useless unpredictable creatures.
    They are also lots of fun and a solid reminder that it's about the smiles and not the miles.

If anything 2 or 3 and under... you can smack em in the kid carrier and do your thing.
    Past that... you do their thing or rue the day you forget it.

Generally... I prefer car camping with day hikes mixed in.
    That said, no matter how good or bad the trip goes- kiddos tend to remember the trip as awesome because they got to hang out with you. So don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugthumper View Post
    Try not to overthink it.

Even before you can take her on an actual walk in the woods, introduce her to outdoor activities where she will be moving and engaged like camping, going to a local playground or even playing in the backyard with toys. By the age of 3 most children will be speaking their own mind, and telling you if they do or do not want to do something. As long as you introduce hiking as a fun and exciting and are enthusiastic about it, they will be on board from the very beginning. Just make sure to not push them beyond their limits early on.

Plan trips that have a payoff, like a waterfall, an overlook, or even just a creek to splash around in and throw rocks.

Bring lots of snacks and water. Granola bars, fruit, sandwiches, goldfish crackers. A hungry or thirsty kid is a cranky kid.

Teach them to identify things in nature. Animals, birds, insects, tracks, scat, trees, flowers, all sorts of different things that can catch their attention. There are very good field guilds that are available to help with identification.

The biggest thing is to make it fun and enjoyable for everyone.

Like I mentioned in my previous post a child carrier backpack is a great way to introduce her to hiking trails. Ages 1-2 she could easily ride all day watching the scenery and talking and singing with the occasional nap sprinkled in. Right around her 3rd birthday mine asked if I would take her out of the backpack so she could walk like her big brothers. 3 months later as I was driving to the trail, she told me she wanted to walk the whole thing and she wanted to leave the backpack in the car. I was surprised and absolutely delighted. That was the day she walked 5 trail miles for the first time. Previously her best was about 3 miles. Children will surprise you in many ways with what they are capable of. Each one has their own little voice.
    Some solid advice and what sounds like great fun. This is the kind of thing I'm relishing about having a niece.

Here's a nice account of a dad bribing his 4-year-old to walk a pretty good distance:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/o...est-trail.html

Here's a nice account of a dad bribing his 4-year-old to walk a pretty good distance:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/o...est-trail.html

That is nice, thanks.

I took my daughter up Sharp Top when she was 4. A 3.6 mile up and back with 1500' gain! (over 1.8 miles up) and she rocked it out!

Then when she was 5, did a 4 mile round trip from the James River Footbridge with much much less gain, and she became grumpy and complainy on the way back.

So just expect the unexpected. Kids can be fickle and YMMV on a day-to-day basis with them.
    It is what it is.

Images

Default Just passing this on

I had a friend in Boone that started doing section hikes with his dad when he was 5. He was a senior in college and him and his dad had section hiked all but the last 115 miles in Maine. When he graduated he started in Georgia and his dad met him in Maine to finish the last 115 miles together. Just passing that on because I thought it was a pretty cool thing his dad planned out for them every year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++