WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike NJ in 2019

Hello, I'm looking to section hike New Jersey in 2019.
    Looking for recommendations on the time of year for this hike, I'm thinking June since the days are longer. My estimated time frame is 6 nights.
    Please tell me more information if you have any and or might want to join me for a week out.

Gene

I did NJ as the 3rd of 4 states during a 16 day trip last Oct. We arrived in NJ on around Oct 9th of the trip and couldn't have asked for better weather. If anything maybe a little elater in October? We averaged 18.25 miles during that 237 mile trip, that's including 3 zeros. 3 nights 4 days for me - I had also kept my legs in shape prior to already being on the trail for 100 miles - I would not want to do it in June, even in October you will have plenty of daylight if you are planning on doing it in 6 days.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Another vote for October, but be aware that its hunting season so be sure to check on where the hunting areas are and the hunting schedule. As far as climate, its not all that different than Washington, NJ at any given time.

Thanks for the replies. Any issues with water in October ?

Last October water was pretty rough in NY, I don't recall any issues with water in NJ but I would look at guthooks for updates. I do remember several delis and water caches on that 2 week trip as well as using the rule of thumb " don't pass up a good water source. We only ran out once and for a couple miles. But that was up in agony grind
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++