WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT > Sherburne Pass > LT > AT

I looked/read through the LT forum before posting here, it doesn’t appear that anyone has posted in about one year, not new anyway.

I’m thinking about getting off the AT at Sherburne Pass, hire a private shuttle to the LT Northern Terminus, hike with a buddy south back to Sherburne Pass then finish the AT south to Harpers Ferry. Then I can call the LT (first thru) and AT (second thru) done.

I went ahead an ordered a LT trail map, it should be at next resupply in case I decide to proceed with the LT.

Is there anything new I should know about the LT?

thanks

what time of year when doing the LT?

Quik, I'm assuming that you are a flip flopper hiking the AT right now SOBO from Maine and you are thinking about adding 170 miles to your journey so you can also complete the Long Trail too. First off, that sounds cool and I think you will really like Vermont. Also I think ordering the LT trail map was smart and I think you'll find it very helpful.

As far as anything you should know . . . I guess that the section of the trail from Whiteface to Appalachian Gap/17 is really challenging but probably similar in difficulty to parts of the NH whites and Maine so nothing that you haven't seen before, just be prepared that the trail won't be fast in that section. Also the first part of your hike south from Journey's End can be dry, so you may have to carry a little extra water, again just something to be aware of.

Let us know if you have any more specific questions. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

The most difficult part of that plan might be finding the shuttle to the north end. If indeed you have hiked SOBO from Katahdin, then the northern end of the LT shouldn't be too challenging. However, your buddy might have problems if he's meeting you just for that section of the LT.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    what time of year when doing the LT?
    Mark, the idea of adding the LT to my AT hike came up a couple of weeks ago in the Whites. My buddy joined me at Crawford Notch, from there we hiked a couple of loops, then back on the AT for me. I really enjoyed doing this and getting to see areas most AT hikers won't go to due to schedules and finishing.

I want to start hiking the LT this coming Sunday 8/19. I'm currently hiking the second half of a SOBO AT flip-flip, just arrived in Hanover, leaving here later this afternoon. My buddy is meeting me at Sherburne Pass on Saturday morning, from there we will shuttle to the northern terminus. Our shuttle is already secured.

His map arrived, mine should be at the PO, will walk over there as soon as I get my laundry done. He has current LT info, with resupply stops. Both of us are experienced backpackers, so the ruggedness of the LT that I've heard about shouldn't be a problem.

If you have any trail info not on the map or in whatever book he has would be appreciated.

thanks

https://www.downthetrail.com/hiking-...trail-vermont/
    this guy did a wonderful job of documenting his LT End to End. there are many other good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    ...As far as anything you should know . . . I guess that the section of the trail from Whiteface to Appalachian Gap/17 is really challenging but probably similar in difficulty to parts of the NH whites and Maine so nothing that you haven't seen before, just be prepared that the trail won't be fast in that section. Also the first part of your hike south from Journey's End can be dry, so you may have to carry a little extra water, again just something to be aware of.
    yeah this is the kind of info I'm looking for, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The most difficult part of that plan might be finding the shuttle to the north end. If indeed you have hiked SOBO from Katahdin, then the northern end of the LT shouldn't be too challenging. However, your buddy might have problems if he's meeting you just for that section of the LT.
    Yes I'm a SOBO flip-flopper, hiking the second half from Katahdin. Securing our shuttle was the easy part, my buddy lives in NH and hikes the Whites regularly, he's stays in peak condition, the guy is part mountain goat.

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    https://www.downthetrail.com/hiking-...trail-vermont/
    this guy did a wonderful job of documenting his LT End to End. there are many other good ones.
    Thanks for the link!!!

I'll be curious after you do it if you think the LT Whiteface to Appalachian Gap section is tougher then the AT in Maine or New Hampshire, so report back if you think of it!

Besides the dry start to your hike, my only other tip is to camp on top of the ski slopes if you get the chance. Two of my favorite campsites on the entire LT were on the top of ski resorts. You will likely have to carry water up to do so but the views in the evening and morning make it all worth it. Enjoy!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Sounds like your good to go. If you want to spend a night off the trail, your only options are at B+B's which tend to be pricy. Nyes in Jefferson caters to LT hikers and is "reasonable" I paid $70 but that was like 5 years ago. I forget where I stayed in Waitsfield, but I do remember dropping $150 there!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There’s good resupply in Johnson and Waitsfield. Nye’s B&B is awesome. I stayed at the Hydeaway in Waitsfield. It is expensive imo but they’ll shuttle you back to the trail in the morning. I paid around $100, I think, a few years ago. Hitching was very easy in VT

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    I'll be curious after you do it if you think the LT Whiteface to Appalachian Gap section is tougher then the AT in Maine or New Hampshire, so report back if you think of it!

Besides the dry start to your hike, my only other tip is to camp on top of the ski slopes if you get the chance. Two of my favorite campsites on the entire LT were on the top of ski resorts. You will likely have to carry water up to do so but the views in the evening and morning make it all worth it. Enjoy!
    Great section, love this kind of trail, no more difficult and ME or NH Whites. Water tip fro the start section was great, thanks. Didn't get to camp on top of any ski resorts, we got there too early in the day but can see how this would be appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Sounds like your good to go. If you want to spend a night off the trail, your only options are at B+B's which tend to be pricy. Nyes in Jefferson caters to LT hikers and is "reasonable" I paid $70 but that was like 5 years ago. I forget where I stayed in Waitsfield, but I do remember dropping $150 there!
    Quote Originally Posted by NHWhites View Post
    There’s good resupply in Johnson and Waitsfield. Nye’s B&B is awesome. I stayed at the Hydeaway in Waitsfield. It is expensive imo but they’ll shuttle you back to the trail in the morning. I paid around $100, I think, a few years ago. Hitching was very easy in VT
    Nye B&B was great, we got the guest house for the night and WOW what a breakfast.

I'm taking a couple or three days off, wasn't expecting this kind of heat, getting a rental car and hotel stay, maybe drive back over and drive through the Whites, maybe revisit the Notch Hostel, really nice place. Then it's back on the AT south for me, it should be fairly easy the rest of the way to Harpers Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Great section, love this kind of trail, no more difficult and ME or NH Whites. Water tip fro the start section was great, thanks. Didn't get to camp on top of any ski resorts, we got there too early in the day but can see how this would be appealing.
    Thanks for reporting back and glad you enjoyed it!

++ New Posts ++