WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is there a place to buy stove fuel in Pawling, NY?

I am starting a section hike in Pawling and hope to find somewhere to buy stove fuel. (I am heading Northbound) I am flying in from Florida and cannot bring it on the plane.

Does anyone know if Tony's deli or the landscape place sells it?

I am arriving on a Friday, so I have to stop in Pawling or Wingdale, as the AT stop only runs on weekends. Does anyone know if anyone in either town sells it, if the first question is no.
    I will go stoveless if I have to, but I really enjoy a hot meal at the end of the day.

Thanks

Check with the landscaping store there to verify- but they accept mail drops.
    Can't comment on if they sell it directly.

Maybe a better question- is where are you flying into before you get on the train to Pawling?

I've never had an issue taking my loaded pack on a train- so fuel up after you fly is probably easiest.

What kind of fuel?

Thanks Bill, I did consider getting it before I get to Pawling, but I have a fairly tight schedule. I fly into Newark, take NJ Transit to NYC, walk to Grand Central then take train to Pawling. While there are places in NYC, like REI, there are none between Penn station and Grand Central station. I am trying to get to the trail in time to hike the 5.7 to the Wiley shelter before dark.

I am concerned with not getting to the landscaping place by 5PM as well. Everything would have to go just right for me to make it before 5 when they close.

Standard stove fuel for a pocket stove like MSR ISOPro

BTW: I did call Tony's Deli and she said they sell Coleman fuel which is not what I want. Coleman does make some compatible fuel, but she said "green" canister which isn't what I want. I had to describe how it works to her, so I got the impression that they don't get asked that often. I guess I assumed it was a common question for a deli so close to the trail.

Has anyone ever bought MSR type fuel at Tony's deli?

Will Tony's take a mail drop for you?
    Agree- coleman green probably means the wrong size... That said if she's kind enough to read the description to you maybe they do carry the Butane/propane mix.
    The regular green cans are 100% propane but coleman does make backpacking canisters too
    https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Butan.../dp/B000PY9T0S

I don't have my Awol book handy...
    But coming from NYC you are going through the actual town of Pawling Train stop (one before the AT stop).
    It's about 2 miles or so from that stop to the AT itself and maybe there is something open there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post
    Thanks Bill, I did consider getting it before I get to Pawling, but I have a fairly tight schedule. I fly into Newark, take NJ Transit to NYC, walk to Grand Central then take train to Pawling. While there are places in NYC, like REI, there are none between Penn station and Grand Central station. I am trying to get to the trail in time to hike the 5.7 to the Wiley shelter before dark.

I am concerned with not getting to the landscaping place by 5PM as well. Everything would have to go just right for me to make it before 5 when they close.
    i guess you like to challenge yourself?

from the AT train station to kent CT looks to be about 18 miles. were i you i'd just plan on not having a stove until i got there and then i'd pick something up at the outfitters there. kent is a bit off trail (little over half a mile) so its a pain of it's own sort but it might be the least painful. at least if you dont get to the landscapers by 5 or they dont have what you need.

Journal Entries

Consider Alcohol fuel, if not just to get by till you can get canisters. A homemade alchy stove and wind screen is easy to make and super light.

Just call the landscaper and get them to put your fuel in front of the door if they close, settle up with them prior to that day via cash in the postage box etc. I have done this on several trips, business closes and im gunna arrive after? Just leave it out side and ill take my chances.

Kent is a pain, north of there is Salisbury which is almost completely useless to a hiker other then liquor store and deli however there IS a auto repair shop in Sals which would more then likely have some HEET

Just mail it to the tree store man lol
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I will do this based on your input. I will stop at Tony's buy fuel if they have it. Buy a sandwich for the first night. Then if I still need some buy fuel in Kent.

I always like to challenge myself. It nearly killed me but I finished the 21.2 slackpack of the Wildcat/Carter/Moriah range last month on the day after arriving by bus in Gorham, NH. This trip will be a cakewalk compared to NH.

There's HEET or white gas. If you can get a ride to the Hannafords there might be canisters. If one asks kindly with maybe a reason several stores and businesses on Main St next to the tracks might hold a box for you too. I did that one time and another time sent a box to the PO with a canister.

the "deli" is more like a small grocery store.

Gambit, I like your suggestion. If all goes well I will arrive in Pawling at 3:47, which will allow me to make it to the landscape place easily. If I miss that train or it gets cancelled then I arrive at 5:24. I can always call him in route and remind him to place it outside.

Also thanks, I didn't realize that they did sell fuel. I knew they accepted supply boxes, but even better that they sell fuel.

I have 4 x 20 mile days on this trip and any mile off trail is a mile I would rather not do. I am counting on Connecticut being as awesome as everyone says it is.

Thanks all for the advice everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post
    That's good info to have Steve! Saw your comments about CT...Don't underestimate this section, water this time of year is rough thru there and You will be going down St Johns rock/ ledge - please be careful, it is steep and rough
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks for the heads up Gambit. I recently hiked from Gorham to Lincoln when it rained everyday (July 22-27) so that is my point of comparison in saying it is easy. Hardly any of the AT is truly easy.

I hiked 46 miles in NY last August ending where I begin this year. I have experience with the water or lack thereof. I will be bringing my 3 liter platypus and another 1 liter smart water bottle. (I drink a lot of water) From what I hear, it has been a wetter summer than usual, so that should help.

The KMart at Penn Station in NYC has canisters. It is open 6.30 to 11 weekdays
    Perhaps stop in en route from NJ Transit to Metro North?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    That's good info to have Steve! Saw your comments about CT...Don't underestimate this section, water this time of year is rough thru there and You will be going down St Johns rock/ ledge - please be careful, it is steep and rough
    Good advice about the water. I thought the same thing about St John's, but of course that was before I had hiked any in NH or ME.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I wouldn't worry about lack of water. We've had nearly 11 inches in the last 30 days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++