WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Flow - Overmountain Shelter & Bradley Gap?

Going from Carvers Gap to US 19 tomorrow. Does anyone know how much water flow @ Overmountain Shelter and the piped spring that is .4 miles before Bradly Gap close to the tent sites (between Little Hump and Bradley)? THANKS!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its been wet here in WNC and E. Tenn for the last couple weeks.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Overmountain: The old forrest road continues down for aprox 1 mile to a parking lot. All along the way are little water sources, if 1 is dry continue on down to the next. If you get all the way to the parking lot, there is a creek there.

Bradley Gap: NO current updates on guthooks however a previous August comment says it was bone dry this week in 16'

If all else fails, Doll flats is great tenting, and offers a reliable water source.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

2016 was a bad drought year. I would be very surprised if water wasn’t flowing at Bradley Gap this year. As Tennessee Viking pointed out, we’ve had decent rainfall this year. The Smokies were very wet when I was there two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hikewithgravity View Post
    2016 was a bad drought year. I would be very surprised if water wasn’t flowing at Bradley Gap this year. As Tennessee Viking pointed out, we’ve had decent rainfall this year. The Smokies were very wet when I was there two weeks ago.
    True that, Last weekend in Grayson Highlands the trail was a creek and or flooded most of the time
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Also check out the Guthook app, people sometimes list the water source condition and the date they visited it.

We live in the Elk Garden/Mt Rogers area. Really wet here with lots of springs currently producing that rarely do. The only reason I asked was due to a comment on Guthook on 7/1..."Barely flowing - no water out of pipe............ " That just threw up a red flag so I thought I would ask. I have since re-read the comment and think he was talking about the small stream .3 miles away that Guthook shows as marginal. Thanks!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

++ New Posts ++