WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Vacation help needed

What would be the best town to stay in in NH to access the white mountains network of hiking trails for a weeks vacation?

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

this is a more sensible situation than your VT question. theres several different options, mostly depends on what part of the area you're most interested in hiking and if you want a crowded congested touristy town or something more quiet.

My friend owns the "Grand View Lodge and cabins" in Randolph, NH. Her rates are significanly less then the motels in town (Gorham). Plus if you know anyone who knits, she has the best yard shop in the north country.

From here you can access the 110 miles of Randolph Mountain Club trails and acess the Northern Presidentials. We have trails for all levels of hiking abilities, from easy to insanely difficult.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I've enjoyed staying in several places in NH. Part of it depends on what a vacation is to you. I assume you are looking for access to day hiking with some nice amenities when you get back from your hike, like restaurants, pubs, or whatnot, maybe a museum?

Although it is more on the south west corner of the whites, I've really enjoyed my time in Woodstock, just west of the commercial strip of Lincoln and providing great access to both Franconia notch and the Kancamagus HWY. Woodstock is relatively quite and walkable and feels a bit like a little remote alpine village. With a car, no matter where you stay, pretty much everywhere is within an hours driver or so.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Although it is more on the south west corner of the whites, I've really enjoyed my time in Woodstock, just west of the commercial strip of Lincoln and providing great access to both Franconia notch and the Kancamagus HWY. Woodstock is relatively quite and walkable and feels a bit like a little remote alpine village. With a car, no matter where you stay, pretty much everywhere is within an hours driver or so.
    Me too.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough, though I will happily admit my wife and I have only stayed in a private room/suite.

https://notchhostel.com/

This would be a great place to stay. (Not mine)
    https://abnb.me/ZENSPYjwFdb

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Zombie Thread. I wonder if Megpixel ever did the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Zombie Thread. I wonder if Megpixel ever did the trip?
    I don't know but I took out the spammer so don't blame rickb.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Wherever you stay, be sure to enjoy some of the great restaurants in the area. There were a bunch, but the Thai place next to International Mountain Equipment is worth it for the experience with the waiter alone. And Moat Mountain has an amazing spread if you've got 4 people to share it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My friend owns the "Grand View Lodge and cabins" in Randolph, NH. Her rates are significanly less then the motels in town (Gorham). Plus if you know anyone who knits, she has the best yard shop in the north country.

From here you can access the 110 miles of Randolph Mountain Club trails and acess the Northern Presidentials. We have trails for all levels of hiking abilities, from easy to insanely difficult.
    I second a recommendation for 'The GrandView Lodge' if what you want is a retro cabin at a reasonable rate. Just up the hill from Gorham. Just don't try to get the bigger cabin for Labor Day Weekend, that is my weekend
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

++ New Posts ++