WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I didn't realize there were different levels of hiker funk, at least not beyond the ordinary hiker funk. Can you please extrapolate the different levels, so we are all on the same page?
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

My solution like TS Kobzol is to get clean. I carry a MSI 6 liter Dromedary which gives me a one stop(no multiple trips to the stream etc) camp water supply that is large enough for the next days bottle fill ups. Showering does make it two trips of course. Its also used to carry extra water for the dry areas of a hike.

For approximately 3oz weight penality I carry the the MSI shower hose/attachment and with the Dromedarys hanging eye, its easy to hang the water for a stand up shower. I generally heat 1 liter of water from the Dromedary to boiling and add that back to the Dromedary which warms up 50* creek water nicely. After 2 week long outings I returned to my wife who certified me funk free, right off the trail.
    As stated above its SO worth the effort to get clean after the days hike, you sleep better and your bedding stays nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I didn't realize there were different levels of hiker funk, at least not beyond the ordinary hiker funk. Can you please extrapolate the different levels, so we are all on the same page?
    I propose that we use a Funk Level system that corresponds to how close a normal citizen can stand to the rated hiker (in feet) without needing to back away due to the reek.

FL1 - You can stand 1 foot away from this person without being repulsed by the stench. A fresh day hiker may be FL1.
    FL2....
    FL3....
    FL10: If you stand within 10 feet of this person you want to back away slowly. A stinky section hiker that doesn't carry toilet paper because they are UL might be FL10.

Journal Entries

I worked with a guy who came to work and smelled so bad our Sergeant sent him home to clean up. He came back and the Sgt figure out it was his jacket. he placed him on desk/dispatch duty for the night with order to purchase a new winter jack before he returned to work.

Now as far as hiking funk, I carry an extra set of clothes to change into after taking my shower and shaving. Once that's done, it's off to the laundry-mat with any dirty. Once finish, it time to eat and maybe have a brew or two. Sleep Get up and find the best place to get breakfast. I eat then try to find a subway shop and get a 12" to go, with all the condiments on the side. I now have lunch and dinner; or at least lunch. Regular use of soap on the trail and doing all of your laundry in town will help hold down your odor problems. My Dr. told me not to use antiperspirant as you need to sweat through every pore to avoid health problems, mostly heat related.
    Blackheart

According to some, you can tell section hikers from thru hikers because they don't stink.
    So invite some section hikers to the Doyle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++