WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fishing on the trail?

My Brother, my Son, & I are going to be hiking a section of the AT from Erwin, NC near Uncle Johnny's Hostel, south to Hot Springs in September. I was wondering while on that section of the trail are there any brooks large enough that we might be able to catch some Brook Trout? I know the River before we start the hike is decent size, but I am referring to water on the trail. Any suggestions, tips, locations, etc. are greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

There might be one stream, but it's a long shot being pretty high up on the ridge line.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Both Erwin and Hot Springs have a river right by the town.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Both Erwin and Hot Springs have a river right by the town.
    Erwin has a nuclear fuel reprocessing plant near-by, don't think I'd want to fish in that river. Not sure how the hot springs affect the fish in the French Broad around Hot Springs. Both of these rivers are pretty large, which are unlikely to have brook trout. Leave the fishing poles home and enjoy the hiking.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Hiking a ridgeline trail isnt real conducive to fishing.

You can fish your hearts content in the Sierra though.. in mindblowing scenery.

Thanks all for the replies! I thought maybe there would be a few good running streams in some of the lower areas, especially near some of the shelters. It seemed like I saw water near a lot of the shelters in that area.

That said, we are going about 70 miles along this section. Can y'all tell me if there will be enough water along the way to refill and keep our containers full enough to stay hydrated and cook?. Again from what I could see on the maps, it seemed like there are streams here and there, of course my previous assumption obviously wasn't real accurate, but I'm hoping there is at least enough water for that...

We are hiking in Georgia this fall by some streams. It's hard for me to pass up without casting a few times.

++ New Posts ++