WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thoughts about the Lone Star Hiking Trail

I'm writing an article for The Trek highlighting "10 things to know about the Lone Star Hiking Trail." I'd be interested to hear people's impressions of the trail - like it? hate it? recommend it? What do you think should be among the top 10 things to know? Thanks much.

It's flat, very uncrowded, forested single track, humid during late spring- early fall making it good for a colder weather walk about or mild shake down hike, requires seasonal water logistical awareness although I found it not particularly H2O dry in late April, resupply and supplementing in a few places isn't hard by a short walk or hitch, getting to either termini would be best via shuttle or as I did a Uber or two vehicles. Choice of shelter is conducive to hammocking. The flat terrain in cooler conditions and SUL carry made for a quick 3 day thru hike with 1 zero in an all day heavy downpour.

I dont recommend a hiker from the east or west coast go to Houston specifically for the LST. I did it first as part of a stacking of 4 thru hikes wanting to see what the LST was about. I did it first as a bit of a shake down hike after being "off" wanting to test my legs.

Thanks, Dogwood! That was a speedy thru!

What did you do about the Stubblefield bridge being closed?

I did it in 2011, so can't comment on current conditions, but it was an enjoyable hike that I did around a long Memorial Day weekend. It took me six days, which is moving pretty fast for me, considering it's almost 100 miles. It's very flat. I remember it mostly as a series of lonely trails connected by road walks, punctuated with busy public campgrounds. By the way, there's a back trail into Huntsville State Park that I wish I'd taken. The front gate is at least a mile out of the way, and they gave me grief for not having a reservation on Labor Day Weekend. I had to whine about my advanced age and a 20 mile day, but they finally took mercy on me and let me in.

"Uncrowded" is an understatement. I passed exactly two people on the trail (outside of the parks) during the entire hike. Parts of it were so poorly maintained that I nearly got lost. At one point I lost the trail in tall grass and had a hard time picking it up again when I re-entered the woods. Another time the trail petered out approaching an old blow-down and I had to dig out my compass and bushwack my way to a creek to find the trail again. But given the scarcity of traffic, I was amazed that many of the swampiest parts actually had raised board tracks.

The comment about the Stubblefield Bridge confuses me. I don't remember a critical bridge there, except for the one on the road to Stubblefield Campground. The main thing I remember about StubbleField was following the wrong trail for a mile before I realized it, and seeing an alligator. The missing bridge that gave me a lot of trouble was further east, over the San Jacinto river, but I don't know if it's still missing. I walked a long way to find a blow-down big enough to cross on, and then it was so high above the river that I had to scoot across on my butt.

The guidebook warned of chemical contamination in the creek water, but there are several campgrounds with water, so it's usually not a problem. I carried more than usual. I begged a homeowner once for the use of his garden hose. I only remember one shelter, but it wasn't much by AT standards, and had no water.

I made great time in the Winters Bayou section. The horseflies were so bad, I ran about half of it!

I day-hiked most of it (out and back, so 2X for 80% of the trail) several years ago. Flat and fast. If you did laps on some sections you could get a 1,000 ft vertical gain day. Also hot and humid. I started before dawn most days (knocked down hundreds of spider-webs as a result). A good amount of road-walking for a trail less than 100 miles long. Memorable moments: seeing a coral snake right on the trail, getting threatened by a hunter who did not want hikers where he was in a blind (right next to the trail). I saw some very colorful insects (sorry, I don't know the names) which did not bother me. I did see others on the trail, but I hiked almost always on Saturdays. The LST has more road crossings and signs of "civilization" than on the AT. Hiking it prompted me to hike the Long Trail and then the AT.

As an old veteran of the coastal trails in Mississippi many moons ago, all I can say about hiking along the Gulf Coast is “Why?”
    I could see using some of the trailheads for out and back loaded pack day hiking to get ready for December-February trips to Big Bend.
    Otherwise, I don’t get it.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    I did it in 2011, so can't comment on current conditions, but it was an enjoyable hike that I did around a long Memorial Day weekend. It took me six days, which is moving pretty fast for me, considering it's almost 100 miles. It's very flat. I remember it mostly as a series of lonely trails connected by road walks, punctuated with busy public campgrounds. By the way, there's a back trail into Huntsville State Park that I wish I'd taken. The front gate is at least a mile out of the way, and they gave me grief for not having a reservation on Labor Day Weekend. I had to whine about my advanced age and a 20 mile day, but they finally took mercy on me and let me in.

"Uncrowded" is an understatement. I passed exactly two people on the trail (outside of the parks) during the entire hike. Parts of it were so poorly maintained that I nearly got lost. At one point I lost the trail in tall grass and had a hard time picking it up again when I re-entered the woods. Another time the trail petered out approaching an old blow-down and I had to dig out my compass and bushwack my way to a creek to find the trail again. But given the scarcity of traffic, I was amazed that many of the swampiest parts actually had raised board tracks.

The comment about the Stubblefield Bridge confuses me. I don't remember a critical bridge there, except for the one on the road to Stubblefield Campground. The main thing I remember about StubbleField was following the wrong trail for a mile before I realized it, and seeing an alligator. The missing bridge that gave me a lot of trouble was further east, over the San Jacinto river, but I don't know if it's still missing. I walked a long way to find a blow-down big enough to cross on, and then it was so high above the river that I had to scoot across on my butt.

The guidebook warned of chemical contamination in the creek water, but there are several campgrounds with water, so it's usually not a problem. I carried more than usual. I begged a homeowner once for the use of his garden hose. I only remember one shelter, but it wasn't much by AT standards, and had no water.

I made great time in the Winters Bayou section. The horseflies were so bad, I ran about half of it!
    It is the bridge to the campground/recreation area that is closed due to damage from Hurricane Harvey. I haven't been in that section but my understanding is that you have to cross Lake Conroe at that point to continue on the trail.

PS:
    Hurricane Ike did serious damage to the LST. Has that been cleaned up?
    What impact did Hurricane Harvey have on the LST?
    Wayne

Harvey did a fair amount of damage. The entire trail was closed for several months after the storm.

I live near the LST and have day hiked parts of it. In my opinion it is a flat and mostly boring trail that has muddy and swampy sections if it has rained recently. The forest is nothing like the eastern hardwood forests on the AT in VA, GA, NC etc. The summer brings high heat and humidity which makes hiking a slog. It is the only real trail near me so you go with what you got.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthN View Post
    It is the bridge to the campground/recreation area that is closed due to damage from Hurricane Harvey. I haven't been in that section but my understanding is that you have to cross Lake Conroe at that point to continue on the trail.
    Wow! That would be definitely be a problem. I don't remember it actually crossing the lake, just a big river feeding the lake on the north side. But maybe it was longer than I remember. I guess you'd need to pack a boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    Wow! That would be definitely be a problem. I don't remember it actually crossing the lake, just a big river feeding the lake on the north side. But maybe it was longer than I remember. I guess you'd need to pack a boat!
    No, not the breadth of the lake. Sorry if that’s how I made it sound. You can see it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkwdsX1Isxc

It wasnt closed when I thrued.

There's a walk around though.

the san Jacinto crossing can be deep and includes a slick steep sided bank getting into the murky water after a heavy rain. Couldn't see the bottom. Didn't really know how deep it would be when I stepped off the bank but I was ready to swim.

there's a walk around alternate of the river too if it's running high.

If you like plants there're some added short loops in Big Thicket. I did a Fig 8 added on.

++ New Posts ++