WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    So, I'm looking at and considering these new fangled packs Zpaks UL MLD etc .... with the super thin strap down the shoulder pads with very little padding.
    Watching some of these videos it appears much of the weight is transferred to the shoulders. thoughts and opinions on this???
    As a rough guide, Could you bet on one of these packs to flipflop the AT twice.
    The Zpacks max recommended weight is 30lbs.... At maximum load How much of that weight is felt in the shoulders? How much of the weight is transferred to the waist?

Are the thin shoulder straps and thin padding any count beyond an AT thruhike?

I will probably go the extra 11 ounces for my old gregory which is about 40L and would probably survive a fall off of a cliff, but these old bones are talking to my brain and they won't shutup. And apparently I can't be changed midstream.
    It's always a bit of a balancing act and depends a lot on what you personally prefer. I liked the ARC Haul but found all of the tiny straps and buckles and adjustments too fiddly. I hated adjusting stuff all the time and it slipped a lot, etc. I'm packing a Hyperlight Mountain Gear 3400 Windrider now. I just prefer the stouter material and simplicity of design with my gear. JMHO, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    It's always a bit of a balancing act and depends a lot on what you personally prefer. I liked the ARC Haul but found all of the tiny straps and buckles and adjustments too fiddly. I hated adjusting stuff all the time and it slipped a lot, etc. I'm packing a Hyperlight Mountain Gear 3400 Windrider now. I just prefer the stouter material and simplicity of design with my gear. JMHO, YMMV.
    It's funny that you mentioned the slippage. The webbing they USED to use had zero issues with slippage and was a little rougher. I just got my pack repaired and they've changed the webbing to something smoother and more slick, and now things slip. I'm not a fan...they need to go back to the stuff they used before.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

That's 4X AT thrus. I say no way!
    Thanks, I will probably be anywhere between 16 and 35 lbs considering the pack itselfs weight. At various points and times on the trail and may make another go a little deep into Canada once. Guessing averaging 22lbs

Will await more input.... Anybody interested in reinforcing a pack ahead of time. Tho I am leaning away from these packs.
    Don't know if I want to bother with being extra careful on a pack

I love my ZPacks arc haul. It’s not perfect but it’s the best I’ve found in terms of comfort, ability to carry MY load, and features that fit MY style. In other words, everyone has slightly different needs.

I tend to cinch down the hip belt quite tight and carry most weight on my hips. The Arc Haul’s thin hip belt pads actually help in this regard. After a few days of hiking, the pads start forming to my hips. Additionally, the double straps on each side enable me to tighten the thinner pads right around my hip bones. Thick hip belts with a single strap don’t work the same way. My biggest single gripe is that the bottom flat carbon bar is sometimes noticeable depending on how I pack it. I ended up getting the additional hip pad that seems to be an 85% solution. Like I said, it’s not perfect, but the 15% that I don’t like hasn’t dissuaded me from using the Arc Haul as my single favorite pack.

And specifically regarding the shoulder straps, they’re the same - after a few days to break in the pack, the straps mold to my shoulders and distribute weight amazingly well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    Thanks, I will probably be anywhere between 16 and 35 lbs considering the pack itselfs weight. At various points and times on the trail and may make another go a little deep into Canada once. Guessing averaging 22lbs

Will await more input.... Anybody interested in reinforcing a pack ahead of time. Tho I am leaning away from these packs.
    Don't know if I want to bother with being extra careful on a pack
    The packs mentioned are already reinforced in high wear areas. But, I can understand the concern if dropping $300+ on a supposed UL pack that you want to extend the useful life. I've gotten up to about 7000-8000K on and off trail miles on a ULA CDT. That's unusual though IMO. I like the price at $145. I still have two at the previous $135. I keep the older ones for spare parts and I rotate the same model of several I own to extend life. Same with MLD BURN and ZP Arc Haul. The pack replacement cost isn't as substantial as say $300+. Part of extending life is picking the right pack from my pack quiver(I basically own three models) for the anticipated conditions. I clean and repair anything ASAP. Mesh gets holes first. I dont overload by wt or volume. I think I correctly wear my packs too. I dont over stress shoulder straps or hip belts by throwing them around by grabbing such parts, or pull on zippers or pulls at weird angles. I always use pull grabs on the top center of the pack. I dont abuse gear. Cleaning by doing a hose washing and cleaning buckles, zippers, etc extends the life of a pack every 3 wks or so on trail or as needed. Bring along a needle and thread( I use dental floss) and use tape(works fine on cuben) or McNetts Seam Grip for repairs. I'm careful what and how I pack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++