WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Flip flop hike: SOBO from Harper's Ferry in Sept 2019, then NOBO from HF in May 2020

Does it count as a thru hike if we take the winter off? if it is not all done in 2019? If we start on Sept 1, 2019 and finish by Aug 31, 2020? Any other SOBOs that have started at HF and gone to Springer...how long did it take or how many miles/day did you average? We would like to be at Springer by Dec 1. Thanks for your input.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doeontrail View Post
    Does it count as a thru hike if we take the winter off? if it is not all done in 2019? If we start on Sept 1, 2019 and finish by Aug 31, 2020?
    serious question, if you'd be willing to indulge... does it matter? and if so, why? if thats what youre able and/or interested in doing do you think the experience is minimized by what someone else might think of it?

From the ATC website:

How does the ATC define thru-hiking?

We define a thru-hike as a hike of the entire A.T. in 12 months or less.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

If you complete your hike in 12 months and 1 day, does that diminish your accomplishment in anyway?

H your own H

Sounds like a great plan. I was thinking of doing roughly the same thing in a few years. I want to hike thru autumn twice, I reckon that would be amazing seeing in the South and then in the North a year later. It would be very memorable in my opinion then. Don't care of it is 12 months or over. It is the hike that matters, not a few words of thru hike - official or not. Good hiking! Cheers!
    Plumb Bob

I was going to ask the same question!

Thinking of a September 1 southbound from DWG (closer to me) and finish at Springer sometime in November... then come back in May or June and hike north, finishing of course by August 31.

I'd like to know what others think of this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by franky View Post
    I was going to ask the same question!

Thinking of a September 1 southbound from DWG (closer to me) and finish at Springer sometime in November... then come back in May or June and hike north, finishing of course by August 31.

I'd like to know what others think of this approach.
    Not a bad plan. Taking the winter off to recuperate helps a lot. You loose some stamina and conditioning, but you also get to regain some body fat.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hopefully those are my exact plans for the future, once I get some health issues under control.

I've become an expert at losing stamina and gaining weight!

The average time to hike for those hiking from Springer to Harpers Ferry is about 2 months and 3 weeks. To Delaware Water Gap, add another 2 1/2 weeks. Reverse that and to hike from DWG to Springer, and that puts you at Springer in the middle of December (if you're an average-speed hiker).

Just be aware that below-freezing weather arrives in October. In November you can hike for multiple days in a row when temperatures never get above freezing. The high-elevation mountains can sometimes receive snow and/or single-digit temperatures even in November (the Smokies occasionally have even had deep snow in late October, though it doesn't last long).

You'll also have more companionship from other thru-hikers if you start in Harpers Ferry Sept. 1 heading south. You'll see both flip floppers who started mid-Trail (returning for their second half) and sobos. If you start sobo at DWG, you won't see many flip floppers, and roughly half the sobos will be behind you. Most of those will pass you before you have a chance to get your trail legs. (Sobos are the fastest category of thru-hikers).

DWG may be more convenient for you than Harpers Ferry, but if you end up with a chunk at the southern end of the Trail unfinished, that may be even more inconvenient.

Wherever you start, avoid the temptation of trying to keep up with thru-hikers who've already been on the Trail for months (unless you're a marathon runner who's been training with a pack, or something along those lines).

Of course different people are looking for different types of experiences--maybe what you've planned is perfect for you.

Just sharing some things about what to expect, especially because more hikers seem to be considering this type of thru-hike.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    From the ATC website:

To me this is a fair definition as the Berserker definition of a thru hike is finishing the whole trail without any major time gaps (i.e. a few days or week or two off to take care of personal business is fine). It's just a semantics thing, but I have tired of meeting individuals that say they are thru hikers only to find that they finished 2/3 of the trail last year, and then came back 8 months later to finish the other 1/3...sorry, but that's section hiking...and there ain't nothing wrong with that...I'm proud to be a section hiker.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    To me this is a fair definition as the Berserker definition of a thru hike is finishing the whole trail without any major time gaps (i.e. a few days or week or two off to take care of personal business is fine). It's just a semantics thing, but I have tired of meeting individuals that say they are thru hikers only to find that they finished 2/3 of the trail last year, and then came back 8 months later to finish the other 1/3...sorry, but that's section hiking...and there ain't nothing wrong with that...I'm proud to be a section hiker.
    does it really impact you in some way what they call themselves?

if we want to get all caught up in what people call different things then i submit someone who did the trail in 2 large chunks in the space of lets say 18 months should be called by a different term then a person who did 1 week a year for 25 years

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    does it really impact you in some way what they call themselves?

if we want to get all caught up in what people call different things then i submit someone who did the trail in 2 large chunks in the space of lets say 18 months should be called by a different term then a person who did 1 week a year for 25 years
    No, it has zero impact on me, which is why I stated it's my definition and is a semantics thing...just a personal pet peeve. My main point (and I have made it many times in the thru hiker definition discussions on WB) is that in normal conversation with people in everyday life I don't hear nearly as many differing interpretations on the definition of a word as I do of the word "thru" on the AT. Depending on who you are talking to "thru" can mean anything from hiking past every single white blaze with no time gaps to hiking most of the trail over multiple years.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    No, it has zero impact on me, which is why I stated it's my definition and is a semantics thing...just a personal pet peeve. My main point (and I have made it many times in the thru hiker definition discussions on WB) is that in normal conversation with people in everyday life I don't hear nearly as many differing interpretations on the definition of a word as I do of the word "thru" on the AT. Depending on who you are talking to "thru" can mean anything from hiking past every single white blaze with no time gaps to hiking most of the trail over multiple years.
    perhaps then the moral is that each individual hiker's story potentially varies so greatly that the idea of finding a singular term that groups them all together and labels them as the same thing is a fool's errand.

the ATC has it right when they simply recognize completing the trail and leave it at that. that they arent entirely consistent in adhering to this idea is unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    From the ATC website:

They have several definitions. In another place it says in one calendar year and in another it says in one continuous journey.

Pick whichever you like or makes you feel good about your hike.

Doeontrail, it's your hike do it anyway you want!

I first thru hiked the AT in 2010, now I'm hiking a flip-flop. I've had several tell me I'm doing it all wrong, in the wrong direction, some have questioned why hike the AT a second time. Now I'm adding in the Long Trail before finishing the AT, so any day I expect someone tell me my hike won't be a true flip-flop. The thing is I don't care what others think, I'm not out here for them, this is my hike and I'm enjoying everyday.

It seems to be a thing among some not all but some of the younger NOBO hikers to skip 200 miles of trail, and still call themselves a thru hiker. 200 miles is a chunk of miles! Their reasoning is they will have hiked 2,000 miles and that's all they need to get the certificate. I really don't care if they hike it all or not, nor do I care if they get a certificate or not, it's their hike.

So don't worry about it if it takes a day or more longer than a calendar year. It's your hike, enjoy it!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Doeontrail, it's your hike do it anyway you want!

I first thru hiked the AT in 2010, now I'm hiking a flip-flop. I've had several tell me I'm doing it all wrong, in the wrong direction, some have questioned why hike the AT a second time. Now I'm adding in the Long Trail before finishing the AT, so any day I expect someone tell me my hike won't be a true flip-flop. The thing is I don't care what others think, I'm not out here for them, this is my hike and I'm enjoying everyday.

It seems to be a thing among some not all but some of the younger NOBO hikers to skip 200 miles of trail, and still call themselves a thru hiker. 200 miles is a chunk of miles! Their reasoning is they will have hiked 2,000 miles and that's all they need to get the certificate. I really don't care if they hike it all or not, nor do I care if they get a certificate or not, it's their hike.

So don't worry about it if it takes a day or more longer than a calendar year. It's your hike, enjoy it!
    When sectioning in VA near pearisburg i shared the company of several nobo thru hikers who took the angels rest hostel up on their offer of slack packing the section north of pearisburg sobo. theres lots of places along the trail where such a thing takes place and there are tons of hikers who avail themselves of it. anyone who claims it isnt so is either speaking of things they shouldnt be or is willfully ignorant (i mention it because i have also met people who deny the frequency with which this happens).

so then, if a "nobo thru hiker" on 5 occasions totaling 100 miles walks sobo for part of their hike, are they still a nobo thru hiker? have they made a "continuous journey" as a couple of posts above references?

you can go all day with this variable and that variable. its pointless.

It's not so much the direction but the number of miles hiked and the time it takes to hike them.

Hiking in the summer kills me. This summer has been brutal even here in the White mountains. A fall - spring flip flop is an appealing idea. Fall SOBO, spring NOBO. Skip the summer all together. If the summers stay like this years or get worse, this approach could get much more popular.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    The average time to hike for those hiking from Springer to Harpers Ferry is about 2 months and 3 weeks. To Delaware Water Gap, add another 2 1/2 weeks. Reverse that and to hike from DWG to Springer, and that puts you at Springer in the middle of December (if you're an average-speed hiker)...
    All very good advice - thank you for taking the time. I will likely take you up on it. Getting to DC on the Amtrak is really not a big deal, and it would be nice to have a fighting chance to be back by Thanksgiving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++