WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I can't wait for the movie! Then we will know the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    My guess is that if it does on some brisk October Day for the las few stragglers coming in, they will bend the rules out of common sense.

Unless they are worried about setting a bad precedent, of course.
    They didn’t “bend” the rules for this family. So what makes you think they would do so otherwise? I agree with the comment that the AT needs to be routed out of BSP. Sounds like the relationship is one of bare tolerance. Just end it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    While some of this is appreciated (especially the birches and slack pack loner pack), all of that stuff is totally unneeded and is really a solution looking for a problem, as thru hikers could easily travel that last 15 (or so) miles on their own. It is taking a simple self sustaining process that thru hikers live and breath and adding layers of unneeded complications and that in the end is wasted resources and a less satisfactory solution.
    Amazing thread highlighting the part of the community that thinks the AT must go to Katadin. Keep this attitude and the terminus will move. BSP goes above and beyond and ^^^ this is the attitude of way too many. Follow the rules and be grateful not an embarrassment.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    IOnce the park has accepted 3150 permits (2017 #) they still allow more to climb Katahdin. Its just that AT Hikers are forced to arrive by motor vehicle — and if they happened to reach KSCG on foot, they are told to find a ride out of the park and then come back in by motor vehicle another day.
    I'm wondering how making hikers leave by motor vehicle and expecting them to return another day by motor vehicle protects the wilderness.
    Seems to me this would just increase traffic.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I'm wondering how making hikers leave by motor vehicle and expecting them to return another day by motor vehicle protects the wilderness.
    Seems to me this would just increase traffic.
    Because the number of vehicles allowed into the park is limited to available parking. if you show up in a car and the park is already full, you still don't get in. Anyway, why are we still taking about this?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Because the number of vehicles allowed into the park is limited to available parking. if you show up in a car and the park is already full, you still don't get in. Anyway, why are we still taking about this?
    Unless some has changed, yes you do. If you are dropping off a thru hiker and then leaving they let you right in, bypassing the line at the gate.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    Amazing thread highlighting the part of the community that thinks the AT must go to Katadin. Keep this attitude and the terminus will move. BSP goes above and beyond and ^^^ this is the attitude of way too many. Follow the rules and be grateful not an embarrassment.
    Actually it does no such thing, the trail ends where it ends and will adapt as needed. I think you may see it as such because of how you feel about the issue and seeing it in places where it is not.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Not really.

If the quota of hikers set by BSP is reached, it will be reached late in the season when there are relatively few hikers on Katahdin

Ergo, sending hikers who have reached KSCG out of he park and having them return the next day by motor vehicle seems a rather odd strategy if the goal is to reduce the density of hikers on Katahdin.

Peak hiking days are recorded in July and August.

Anyon know what the count is this year?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    Whether there was or not, whenever I think of the BSP rangers, I’ll picture Barney Fife with his silver bullet.
    And no one ELSE thinks this comment is intensely disrespectful and uncalled for?

I wonder how he feels about his local LEOs?

I wonder how he'll feel when he has to call the "Barney Fifes" for assistance somewhere in the park?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    And no one ELSE thinks this comment is intensely disrespectful and uncalled for?

I wonder how he feels about his local LEOs?

I wonder how he'll feel when he has to call the "Barney Fifes" for assistance somewhere in the park?
    Guess I just ruined my chances for a post on the Supreme Court. Dang!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++