WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stomach sleepers?

What's your best option for 3 season mat and bag?

Thanks,

Anne-Marie

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure on recommendations on a bag... for NeoAir XLite LARGE would be my suggestion in a mat.

Today, I use a XLite Large. My prior mat had been a 2" thick Therm-a-rest LE. But it was only 20" wide. With such a thick pad, I found it a pain, as a stomach sleeper, for your hands and arms to try to rest on the ground 2" lower than the rest of your body. So when I bought the XLite, I made sure I got the LARGE not for the increased length, but for the increased width so that my arms and hands could also rest on the pad rather than try to fall to the ground.

YUL-AMB, consider using a quilt instead of a bag. HooKooDooKu is on the right track with a WIDE pad.

FWIW, I like Therm-a-Rest's CCF pads very much for stomach sleeping. I have a Classic Ridgerest and a Ridgerest Solar. I too choose wide models to keep my arms on the mat. I'm also tall, so I need the extra length when stomach sleeping with toes pointed away from my head.

I concede, it's not very comfortable for side sleeping, but I've found a way to position my hips and make it fairly tolerable.

Its greatest virtue is: it can't deflate. It basically cannot fail in that sense, and thus does not fail to insulate. That's something I value ... I can put up with a lot of sub-par cushiness for that kind of peace of mind.

Thanks! I'll remember to think wide!
    And probably quilt....

Anne-Marie

I toss and turn and flip and flop all night long and prefer a Thermarest large at 25 inches wide. My current fave is the updated Trail Pro in large at 4R---it's both my summer and winter pad---and augmented with a Ridgerest Solar in the cold. "Tossing and turning" means I'm sometimes on my stomach, sometimes on my back---most often on my side.

When I'm not out backpacking I'm sleeping in the backyard at home and use the original Trail Pro series as below---left---with upgraded on right.

P1000640.JPG

I'm a side and stomach sleeper and love my EE Convert quilt with my Klymit Static V Insulated Lite. Not quite as light as some of the Neo Air pads but it is also slightly tougher material. It is perfect length for me (I'm 5'5") and at 23" wide it is wider than some of the other options out there which I really like...I don't fall off it. The V baffles take a little getting used to but I like that they help me feel where I am on the pad so I can make adjustments before rolling off the pad.

Images

I use an exped synmat UL7 for stomach sleeping. It's not wide but, its worked for me so far.

Anyone have any experience stomach sleeping AND using a big agnes bag strapped to the pad?

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    I use an exped synmat UL7 for stomach sleeping. It's not wide but, its worked for me so far.

Anyone have any experience stomach sleeping AND using a big agnes bag strapped to the pad?
    Not a Big Agnes but I have used other bags with pad locks. They have helped to prevent serious twisting of the bag.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++