WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Quick one:

Question Quick one:

How long and how hard between mount Washington and mount Madisson summets?

Are dogs allowed?

Thanks,
    Anne-Marie

Journal Entries

Hah! You would ask about the one piece of the Whites that we didn't hike.

I think the distance is 5.7 miles. I don't know the dog rules, but it would sure be a tough place to take a dog.

When we climbed Madison in early July of 2016 there were very strong winds above treeline. We met a northbounder who had come from Mt Washington that day. He said the wind literally pinned him to the ground on multiple occasions. We were walking into the wind, but it was coming at an angle. We braced our poles at a steep angle to keep from being blown into the rocks. When we got to Madison Hut, they strongly discouraged us from going to Mt W the next day because forecast winds were still 70-80 mph. To keep from losing our hut reservations, the next morning we descended a side trail, took a cab, and came back up the very steep Ammonusuc Ravine Trail to Lakes of the Clouds Hut. One of these days we'll take the cog railway up and hike those missing miles over to Madison.

Figure no more then 1 MPH and maybe less depending on weather. Dogs are allowed, but a really bad idea. The rough granite rocks can chew up dog paws really bad. That could result in your having to carry the dog (I've seen it happen). Also
    , if your thinking staying Madison hut, dogs are not allowed in the hut. If you want to camp, the only place to do so is 1,000 feet below and 1/2 mile from the hut and space is limited.

Of course, you have to get to the summit of Washington and get down from Madison, so do you plan on doing this all in one day? If so, your looking at a 12 hour day. You can take a shuttle to the summit of Washington. The auto road runs a one way "hiker shuttle" at 9 AM. That will save some time, but if you have to walk back to the auto road to get your car, your also looking at a 12 hour day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

FWIW, my dog spent plenty of time above tree line in the presidentials both winter and summer and she did fine on all the horrid rocks. Well trail hardened dogs that do well on rocks can do fine up there. Many wouldn't.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

best frame of reference i could give is ive done from lakes of the clouds to pinkham notch (following the AT NOBO, there are of course much shorter ways between the two points) in about 12-13 hours.

if youre meaning to park at the auto road, shuttle to the top of mt wash and then hike back to the bottom of the auto road i'd figure on 9-10 hours

cake walk, peak to peak 4 hours if you are fit 5 for a normal hiker. the short climb up madison is the only real climb. your dog will like it. if extreme weather hits never bail East or trail right. Bail West

This stretch between Madison and Washington is the number one spot for dogs to have issues with their pads. Many thru hiker dogs have made it others have not. I have followed blood trails of thru hiker dogs and non through hiker dogs. Very cruel thing to do to hiking partner. Once a dog wears out its pads its days before the dog can hike again. AMC stopped recognizing dogs for the 4000 footer list at one point of this problem, (there is an unofficial ceremony outside the building where the official awards are made). The only 100% solution is dog booties and unless the dog is trained to use them, they will pull them off. Even dogs trained to use them loose them so bring extras.

That said be aware that the AT skips Adams, and Jefferson and Clay. The AT is called the Gulfside in this area. The Gulfside cuts out a lot of elevation and some exposure but its still a very exposed route in foul weather. Its 100% above treeline and any bad weather in the area will land in this area. There is no good place to hide or get out of bad weather and the bail out routes require dropping 1000 feet or elevation and about a mile before you drop into the trees. If you want to add in the summits you can either hike over them and miss stretches of the AT or just do an out and back from the Gulfside to the summits so you dont miss any of the AT.

Moldy is decidedly optimistic on timing especially if you visit the summits of Adams and Jefferson. I agree thru hikers can do it but casual hikers would be challenged to do it. Many folks get slowed down due to the required rock hopping. For the majority of the day you are hiking up on rough rocks frequently tilted at an angle with gaps around them. There are a couple of grassy stretches but far more rocky stretches.

Thanks, #1 rule: check weather forecast!

Anne-Marie

Quote Originally Posted by YUL-AMB View Post
    Thanks, #1 rule: check weather forecast!
    Anne-Marie
    And hope that it is accurate and doesn't suddenly change while your up there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++