WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I tried the Euroschirm - attaching the umbrella to your pack or body is a bit too cumbersome for the AT, IMO. I find I want to be able to quickly lower & retract the umbrella to get by snags, people, etc. I don't know if anyone mentioned that an umbrella can also be part of your shelter system, too. If you're a tarp camper, the umbrella can help close off the windward opening.

Most comprehensive piece on this topic I've seen done by one with vast experience using an umbrella, including using an umbrella on AT thru hikes, was Francis "The Onion" Tapon's article. https://francistapon.com/Travels/Adv...th-an-Umbrella Look at innovative #9. That's getting it done, offering a worthy perspective, knowing how to apply multi-functionality, and greater duration of use. ^^

Check out "Barefoot Jake" Morrison's set up for hiking in rain in the Olympics during the rainy season in rain forests. He uses an umbrella in an optimal functional approach too, meaning not just in the rain.
    https://www.barefootjake.com/2016/04...r-olympic.html
    https://www.barefootjake.com/2014/04...to-summit.html

That's Barefoot Jake, I think on the Quinault Tr. That's the trail he's standing on...in. LOL. And he's smiling. For such rainy conditions he says just about the only thing that withstands that much saturation are ponchos and umbrellas. I see he used a rain jacket(Frog Toggs are his normal pick for the Olympic's rainiest times) combined with an umbrella.

Consider not boo hoo using an umbrella on the AT as a potentially useful functional piece unless you have first had personal experience. There are those make it work...and work well.

Oops. I think maybe that was Jake's hiking partner on this trip in the pic.

We've taken the Raines Skinny Mini on long distance hikes for 15 years. Often we don't even need to wear a raincoat, just the brolly. Just covers the pack too. Really folks, letting rain fall all over you is unnecessary and sort of dumb.

I have never seen one, but I have only completed just over 900 miles of the AT. To each his own... I would be worried that the wind would ruin it - like I had happen last week at home - and then, I would have to pack the dang thing out...

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I was so glad that I had one in Maine June of 2009 when it rained 26 days.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

I use my chrome-dome frequently, especailly in the East where there tends to be all-day rain, sometimes several days in a row. In the west, it provided a bit of shade where trails/routes traverse open areas. I use two velcro loops to attach it to my pack strap and run my chest strap thru the cord handle to control how high it sits above the pack. Combined with an ultra-light pack cover, it prevents the rain from running down between my back and the back of the pack. Of course, it can't be used in even higher winds, nor on bushwhacking or overgrown trails. The AT is a highway, so it works fine there. The umbrella keeps my core mostly dry down as far as mid-thigh. It helped keep my sanity during those all-day rains in September on the NCT in PA.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

My daughter and I had a borderline episode of hypothermia on the LT this past August. Long, steep climbs resulted in overheating with rain gear on. Then on the descent the rain would pick up and a rain jacket over soaked clothing offers little insulation at 45 degrees and we could feel our core temps drop. My hands got so cold I could not open my pack. Luckily we made it to a shelter, ate about 2000 calories, put on dry clothing and were able to resume hiking. An umbrella would have made a lot of sense in this situation. I appreciate this thread and plan on including an umbrella on our '19 AT thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumgum View Post
    My hands got so cold I could not open my pack. Luckily we made it to a shelter, ate about 2000 calories, put on dry clothing and were able to resume hiking. An umbrella would have made a lot of sense in this situation. I appreciate this thread and plan on including an umbrella on our '19 AT thru.
    Sounds like rain mitts might have helped. I never hike without my MLD even Rain mitts. If nothing else, they provide a lot of warmth on a cold morning for their 1oz weight, even if it isn't raining.

That's a great pic Southwark of how green things can be.

Good suggestion. I made many mistakes that day, but I learned from them. I had a bad experience with MLD, but I will have rain mitts from another source before I hit the trail this spring.

I've started hiking with one (Gossemer's) and really like it. I even rigged up a rain kilt using a trash bag. This is a surprisingly comfortable rain set up. Still pack a light rain jacket for more severe stuff but for most rain situations, umbrella/kilt does the trick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++