WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need opinions re fuel...

Have been experimenting with BRS. Have found it to be more efficient after the 5-7 day mark on the trail. I really trust and have many miles with my current setup tho. The esbit ti tri stand and a windscreen. 1/2 tab gets me an 11 min burn. Boiling starts around 5-6 with 12-14 oz (most i put in my mtn house) Adding another 1/4 tab heats my 16 oz drink.
    I had decided to stay with the tabs but read the warning on the back of my coghlan box of round tablets.
    My question is, are the fumes (which i am quite aware of their odor) much or any more harmful than the exhaust of a butane stove?
    thanks for opinions and advice in advance
    -sloan
    also, i have an extensive history of cancer in my family, trying to avoid anything that may give it a foothold

Butane would only make carbon dioxide and water. Ebits contain Methenamine, what ever the heck this is, but it must be harmful enough to tell you it's in there. Since Ebits is some kind of gelled petroleum product, it likely has a number of interesting chemicals coming out of it when burning.

Anyway, I doubt there is any risk if NOT used in a small, enclosed space. You breath in more carcinogenetic particles from a campfire. I always get a kick out of people who bitch about someone smoking a cigarette and think nothing of all the campfire smoke blowing into the shelter, of which there is much more of and for a much longer duration.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

REI says it's nontoxic,

"The nontoxic, nonexplosive formula is virtually odorless and smokeless."
    https://www.rei.com/product/653344/e...d-fuel-tablets

but wikipedia says the fumes are toxic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexame...ine#Solid_fuel

even the manufacturer's page doesn't claim it's nontoxic.

https://www.industrialrev.com/solid-...-and-stoves%2f

It contains the usual California P65 warning, but so do a ton of consumer goods (including car mats and extension cords), so I wouldn't take that as proof the tabs are unusually toxic. They may be - but I wouldn't rely on P65 as proof.

Sourcing tabs versus canisters on the trail may present problems.
    Walmart sells canisters. I don’t know if they stock tabs or in what quantity.
    Wayne

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Sourcing tabs versus canisters on the trail may present problems.
    Walmart sells canisters. I don’t know if they stock tabs or in what quantity.
    Wayne
    Don't know if things have changed, but it wasn't that long ago people were posting about issues with the canister Walmart was selling. People were finding that the canisters were often not working with their stoves unless it was the same name brand stove as the canister.
    Anyone have an update on that issue?

The Coleman canisters were the ones that got the bad press.
    I have 4 Coleman canisters in the garage. Unused. I’ll use them after I use the Primus, JetBoil, MSR and one off brand from Academy Sports.
    I’m no help. If someone is in a testing mood, try a Coleman canister.
    Given the preponderance of Chinese Knockoff stoves, I take these online product rumors with a grain of salt. Another reason why I have matching branded stoves and canisters. Just my OCD showing.
    Wayne

The jetboil can i just tried seems better than the gsi. I have read that the brs works best with these

I think GSI is the canister I bought at Academy.
    My only experience to date is with the JetBoil SOL and an MSR small canister. The canister had 9 grams of fuel in it. I boiled water for 3 2 serving freeze dried meals. It was still burning when I turned it off the last time. I’m sure it’s empty.
    The Coleman canister is next in line.
    Wayne

Never had a problem with the Coleman canisters on any of my stoves. Have had some trouble with leaking during long term storage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    Never had a problem with the Coleman canisters on any of my stoves. Have had some trouble with leaking during long term storage.
    Leaking in storage is scary. Mine are in the garage. I guess I’ll go weigh all of them. Thanks!
    Wayne

-

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Leaking in storage is scary. Mine are in the garage. I guess I’ll go weigh all of them. Thanks!
    Wayne
    slow leak dissipates - no real risk of built up gas - like leaving the stove attached, just sucks when the canister is unexpectedly empty

++ New Posts ++