WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default carbon fiber tent stakes

Just curious anyone who has used these tent stakes what there opinion was on them.
    durability/weight/bulkiness etc.
    I am considering buying some like the MSR but the price tag is on the steep side for them.

I normally use thin titanium stakes. I carry 2 carbon fiber tent stakes (rutalocura.com ones) for the ends of the ridgeline of my tarp if I expect to hit software ground where having a larger diameter stake is desirable and they certainly weigh less than those multi-sided metal stakes. For softer ground, they work great. In sand, I still put rocks on their tops to help hold them in place. They work in hard ground, but my suspicion is that in hard ground, they will eventually have issues as I saw the heads of one guy's stakes come off as they don't go in as easy as the much thinner titanium stakes and can require hitting them to drive them in. They have a good weight, but not enough compared to the smaller titanium stakes that you'd notice in your pack. They are a thicker diameter so they do take up more bulk if you are carrying a full set instead of just a few. For me, they are a specialty stake (like V shaped and hedgehogs) that are useful in some circumstances and weight little so why not bring a few, but I wouldn't use them as my only primary stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I normally use thin titanium stakes. I carry 2 carbon fiber tent stakes (rutalocura.com ones) for the ends of the ridgeline of my tarp if I expect to hit software ground where having a larger diameter stake is desirable and they certainly weigh less than those multi-sided metal stakes. For softer ground, they work great. In sand, I still put rocks on their tops to help hold them in place. They work in hard ground, but my suspicion is that in hard ground, they will eventually have issues as I saw the heads of one guy's stakes come off as they don't go in as easy as the much thinner titanium stakes and can require hitting them to drive them in. They have a good weight, but not enough compared to the smaller titanium stakes that you'd notice in your pack. They are a thicker diameter so they do take up more bulk if you are carrying a full set instead of just a few. For me, they are a specialty stake (like V shaped and hedgehogs) that are useful in some circumstances and weight little so why not bring a few, but I wouldn't use them as my only primary stakes.
    +1
    I was going to say what Miner has already eloquently posted. The aluminum tube stakes made from arrow shafts you can find are very similar in their use.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries
    Images

I have some carbon fiber stakes I got from ZPacks for my duplex. I don't like them at all. I have broken two when trying to push them into the ground by stepping on them. They hold ok. I prefer the titanium shepherd hook type better.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I bought 8 for my Duplex and have switched back to Ti hook stakes. The carbons are too fragile to me, I feel like it am going to break them every time I use them. I can hear them cracking sometimes when they are starting to flex.

Journal Entries

I use ruta locura for ridgeline, never any issues

Default Carbon stakes

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I use ruta locura for ridgeline, never any issues
    I use the zpacks carbon stakes and 2 msr aluminum stakes. If ground is too hard I use the msr to put the hole in the ground then stick the carbon in. I usually use the msrs in my ridgeline as I pitch my soloplex tight. Been using carbon two seasons inThe sierras without issue; as with all UL gear-care is required.

Quote Originally Posted by TMathers View Post
    Just curious anyone who has used these tent stakes what there opinion was on them.
    durability/weight/bulkiness etc.
    I am considering buying some like the MSR but the price tag is on the steep side for them.
    If you're talking about these---see pic---don't bother!!

61x24bmtk0L._SX466_.jpg

I can't believe I spent $35 for four of these things. What was I thinking? I'm an idiot.

They lasted a couple trips and snapped in half for no reason whatsoever---

P1000208-XL.jpg
    Snapped apart quickly one winter trip---and NOT in frozen ground.

P1000311.jpg
    Don't bother.

-

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/carb...27424c4dd82blF

can drive them in hard ground with my foot, better than any comparable weight aluminum or titanium

takes about 20 before the shipping is reasonable

Journal Entries
    Images

hmmm, interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

can drive them in hard ground with my foot, better than any comparable weight aluminum or titanium

Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Aluminum gutter spikes are probably a similar dimension, costs pennies, still pretty lightweight, and durable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

I've seen some of those and helped a noob pitch a tarp with them once... cannot imagine ever driving them into hard ground that way.

For the rocky Northeast I have not yet found anything better than Lawson Ti stakes. (Out of stock now, but worth the wait.)

++ New Posts ++