WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default rookie needs advice!

Seeking input for an overnight on the AT.
    2 hikers, fairly fit, reasonable outdoors experience.

Planning on starting evening of 8/15, somewhere (approx 7pm) near the MD/PA border, hiking north.(presumably leaving our car here?)
    Wishing to spend the next day, 8/16, hiking at leisurely rate for the better part of the day.
    We want to make it back to our car early evening, before sundown (see question 2)

I'm having a difficult time navigating all the various sites and maps out there.

Questions:
    1. How do I predict how far to hike relative to campsites and water?

2. shuttle services to/from car? OR UBER?

3. Are we better served doing an out and back?

So grateful for your time in responding!

For a simple overnight, out and back is more practical then one way. Starting at 7 pm only leaves you with about an hour of day light. That really limits how far you can go. To prevent problems with quick, easy hikes to shelters which become party spots, most shelters are a bit of a walk from the road. Or if a road is near-by, there is no parking where the trail crosses. It gets complicated.

Basically, your looking do a day hike. How about you go to the Dahlgren car camp ground (which is on the AT). That way you don't have to worry about hiking or setting up camp in the dark. Then the next day go for a hike somewhere in the area. Once there, there are a number of options near-by.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thank you kindly

We would even be content to start where a campsite is nearby (we don't need to start at the MD/PA line.)
    I'm in the lancaster area and content to drive about an hour to 90 min.

Any such location come to mind?

Journal Entries

One of my favorite shelters on the AT is Quarry Gap. It's about 2.6 miles from Caledonia State Park. Park at Caledonia and walk north. Quarry Gap is a very well maintained shelter. Carry a tent anyway just in case the shelter is full, or if you prefer tenting.
    There are probably other options within your driving range. You can use these tools to explore:
    www.atdist.com
    ATC interactive map

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    One of my favorite shelters on the AT is Quarry Gap. It's about 2.6 miles from Caledonia State Park. Park at Caledonia and walk north. Quarry Gap is a very well maintained shelter. Carry a tent anyway just in case the shelter is full, or if you prefer tenting.
    There are probably other options within your driving range. You can use these tools to explore:
    www.atdist.com
    ATC interactive map

Thanks very much!
    That calculator is great!

shamus

my daughter and I recently day hiked from Route 16 nobo to Caladonia state park. There is a small parking area at Route 16, 6-8 cars, this parking area is about 3 miles north of the state line. We hiked north and within the first hour we reached the Deer Lick Shelters. Timing depends on your pace. Chimney Rock is a bit further north and the view is worth the hike, this would be a good place to plan your turnaround. I cannot remember the mileage, sorry. Our total hike was about 15 miles. Wife dropped us off, spent the day with her sister in Harrisburg and meet us in Caladonia SP. Hope this helps with your adventure.

steve

If you park at Pen Mar Park, you can walk across the Dixen line, and as you walk down the stone steps you will hear a creek, in the hair pin turn back to your right, there is a tent site for 2 or so in that bend. Next morning you can get up and hike x number of miles of your choice and then call uber or a shuttle driver of your choice to take you back to the car.

IMO I wouldn't carry all my camping gear purposefully for a day of hiking I knew I wouldn't be camping at the end of again. If you could squeeze 2 nights out of the trip it would improve the enjoyment of the experience
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 08-08-2018 at 09:33. Reason: I dont know that August is the 8th month of the year, thanks cmoulder
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

8/15 is August. Damn Romans.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    8/15 is August. Damn Romans.
    My lord "Facepalm" that's what I get for posting before my morning coffee! Better check my calendar to make sure I don't have Christmas in July! *Edited*
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    My lord "Facepalm" that's what I get for posting before my morning coffee! Better check my calendar to make sure I don't have Christmas in July! *Edited*
    Now you have me confused.....Our closest town: http://www.christmasinjulyinfo.ipage.com/index.html
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenw View Post
    shamus

my daughter and I recently day hiked from Route 16 nobo to Caladonia state park. There is a small parking area at Route 16, 6-8 cars, this parking area is about 3 miles north of the state line. We hiked north and within the first hour we reached the Deer Lick Shelters. Timing depends on your pace. Chimney Rock is a bit further north and the view is worth the hike, this would be a good place to plan your turnaround. I cannot remember the mileage, sorry. Our total hike was about 15 miles. Wife dropped us off, spent the day with her sister in Harrisburg and meet us in Caladonia SP. Hope this helps with your adventure.

steve
    Thank you sir!

++ New Posts ++