WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    That's a good story, Mugthumper. Is there a way for a backpacker to go slow and carefully see everything underfoot? Sometimes. In a perfect world, yes. In reality I often lose focus and want to make time for various reasons, esp in bad weather. Pit vipers always break me out of that routine. Now I'm so wired that my head's a swivel on a stick and nothing goes unnoticed . . . until I inadvertently squat over a rattlehead on my next turtlehead break and get buttock fanged.
    I think it would be possible if you walk slowly and carefully enough in perfect conditions. But where is the fun in that? Some of my favorite memories I have spent on trail are situations when I've walked in less than ideal conditions. However, if there was one thing that I think I could do that would decrease my chances of running into rattlesnakes, it would be to stop walking before sunset during the hot summer months. Unfortunately, I often enjoy walking an hour or two past sunset so I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open.

Images

Don't wear flip flops and don't put your hands near them and you are good to go.
    The vast majority of bites are in the hands and of people with bare feet. Even sneakers have prevented many penetrations believe it or not.

Wear something more than a sneaker and with that goes up the ankle and your odds get even better.

They are very hesitant to strike, they try to reserve their venom, even stepping on them often times they don't strike. (possibly the majority of times.)

And if it is so cold that you think they are going to cozy up with you, chances are they won't be moving.

Images

I've had a few close calls with venmous snakes, im sure like many here with years hiking have had. The usual cautionary tidbits have already been mentioned but sometimes it boils down to pure happenchance , coincidence...bad mojo, whatever you want to call it. You didn't see the snake coiled opposite side of a downed tree as you stepped over it. You stopped along a trail to look at your watch, take a short breather and maybe even carry on a conversation with a hiking partner when one of you takes a step backward . Yep, a step or two backward is all it takes. A step or two backward is all it sometimes takes for happenchance to essentially happen.

I use this example above for a reason. This actually happened to my wife and I while hiking in a state park near our house, literally a hundred miles from the nearest AT trailhead.
    It was a copperhead bite that injected venom that caused almost immediately swelling , pain and nausea. Anti- venom was eventually given in the ER after 4 hours due to worries of hypertension issues. The fasciotomy to alleviate compartment syndrome narrowly escaped.

As it was slithering away I gaged it as a 3 foot long adult copperhead which would have been noticed had it been on the trail in front of us. The well worn path had no calf high weeds or deadfall which cause us hikers to be wary of the omni present dangers of snakes underfoot. Being on the alert for snakes and being smart are a large percentage of not being bitten.

But sometimes $*** JUST HAPPENS.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

It is my understanding that snakes are less active in cooler weather. Wondering if hiking a trail such as Sheltowee Trace in October lessens the chance of a snakebite?

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    It is my understanding that snakes are less active in cooler weather. Wondering if hiking a trail such as Sheltowee Trace in October lessens the chance of a snakebite?
    If there has already been a frost and things are dying back, then I'd say your odds on the ST are greatly reduced. Youd think there would be less snakes too, but being able to see them before stepping in them seems to be your best defense.

For some reason I have always had the impression that snakes get more active in hunting in the early autumn to fatten up a little before winter.No? I have always seen more snakes in October than any other month but the undergrowth is a little less robust then too so that could be a factor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Has anyone stepped on a rattlesnake or copperhead? You never hear stories of this. It must be quite rare. Or maybe snake blindness is my issue. Are there other snake varieties on the AT to be aware of?
    Never stepped on a snake of any variety on the AT - have seen many. But, way back in my teen years I worked a couple of summers for the Youth Conversation Corps at Back Bay Wildlife Refuge south of Va Beach. We were creating clearings deep in brush and small tree growth to encourage migratory waterfowl landings. Pretty thick marshy stuff to clear. I stepped on a Water Moccasin I did not initially see in the muck, weeds and undergrowth. He was not amused and struck me at calf level. Fortunately we were all wearing thick heavy, thigh high waders. After the strike he stood his ground and I did not. Once back on the dirt road, we did a quick inventory on me, he did not puncture the wader and I suffered no ill effects. But I can tell you, 4 decades later I still go into pucker mode whenever I am in the Cotton Mouths territory.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++