WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Peck's Corner Shelter

What can we expect on the .4/.5 mile trail to Peck's Corner Shelter from the AT ?? Steep ?? Rocky ??

Also, is water source sufficient this time of year

Not crazy steep, but there is a 300 foot elevation drop down to the shelter from the AT. Yes, it is rocky. Water source is always good there. We have had a lot of rain this summer.

The shelter is 0.3 miles or so down Hughes Ridge Trail.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

My google earth data indicates a distance from the AT junction to the shelter to be 0.4 miles with an elevation drop of 250'.
    From recent experience, I recall it to be some rocky steps, and perhaps some of the rocks a bit wet were a few minor drips might flow depending upon how recently it last rained.
    I can't tell exactly where the water source is in Google Earth, but based on about where I think it is, it is an additional 100' drop to the spring from the shelter.

Because GSMNP has had a pretty wet summer, all the primary water sources will be flowing fine. However, since the AT is mostly along a ridge line, that means for the most part, water is only going to be available at shelters. The only places I recall seeing water flows along the AT between New Found Gap and Davenport Gap other than shelters is the apex of where the trail rounds Mt.Guyot, where the trail leaves the ridge line below Mt. Cammerer, and perhaps in the area immediately around Cosby Knob.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-22-2018 at 18:01.

The water source at Pecks is down a very steep trail that can be really slick after a rain. There is a great water source at the old False Gap Shelter. It is a nice piped spring.A3CC65AD-35C6-4D8A-80A1-62041DF2D470.jpeg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    However, since the AT is mostly along a ridge line, that means for the most part, water is only going to be available at shelters. The only places I recall seeing water flows along the AT between New Found Gap and Davenport Gap other than shelters is the apex of where the trail rounds Mt.Guyot, where the trail leaves the ridge line below Mt. Cammerer, and perhaps in the area immediately around Cosby Knob.
    i couldnt tell you where i did get water exactly, but i definitely didnt go to peck's corner (too far) and definitely went from mt collins shelter to tri corner knob without really leaving the trail to get water anywhere. possibly i did icewater spring to tri corner without filling up anywhere in between but that doesnt feel accurate.

in fact, i remember for sure i was expecting to be able to fill up at NFG and wasnt able to, so i want to say i came to water on the trail somewhere within a few miles afterward.

Images

There is a great water source at the old False Gap Shelter. It is a nice piped spring.

for me-----this is the second best spring in the Park..........

moore spring is tops for me.....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bmelee View Post
    The water source at Pecks is down a very steep trail that can be really slick after a rain. There is a great water source at the old False Gap Shelter. It is a nice piped spring.A3CC65AD-35C6-4D8A-80A1-62041DF2D470.jpeg
    I've mentioned False Gap shelter before when people has asked about water. I hesitated this time because you still have to decend something like 250' to 300' vertical down about a quarter mile trail, and the trail is very rutty. I believe I read something along the line of uncontrollable trail or hillside erosion is the reason they tore this shelter down many decades ago.
    But since it was brought up, I'll point out that False Gap is that low spot about halfway between Icewater and Pecks. Keep your eyes peeled to the left as the AT reaches a low point and you should be able to spot the old trail down to the shelter.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i couldnt tell you where i did get water exactly, but i definitely didnt go to peck's corner (too far) and definitely went from mt collins shelter to tri corner knob without really leaving the trail to get water anywhere. possibly i did icewater spring to tri corner without filling up anywhere in between but that doesnt feel accurate.

in fact, i remember for sure i was expecting to be able to fill up at NFG and wasnt able to, so i want to say i came to water on the trail somewhere within a few miles afterward.
    Yeah, I recall there being a few wet places along the AT as the trail heads to Boulivard intersection. But I don't recall any of them being strong enough and reliable enough to tell someone to rely on that area as a water source. By contrast, I distinctly remember the VERY strong and reliable flow coming off the side of Mt. Guyot.

More good intel on False Gap there DooKu. You certainly know the park well. Thanks!
    It is what it is.

Images

Move on to Tricorner Knob - it's way better than Peck's Corner!
    It's all good in the woods.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    More good intel on False Gap there DooKu. You certainly know the park well. Thanks!
    You're welcome.
    I've been hiking in GSMNP for over 20 years, and you'll notice my Avatar is the symbol for the 900 Miler Club (someone who has hiked all the trails on the official Back Country Trail map).

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Move on to Tricorner Knob - it's way better than Peck's Corner!
    Yea, but there's no water between Peck's and Tricorner.

Stayed there this June. Nice shelter. Not crowded. Not many appear to want to walk nearly 1/2 mile off trail. Tri-Corner was very crowded when I walked by there the next morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    Stayed there this June. Nice shelter. Not crowded. Not many appear to want to walk nearly 1/2 mile off trail. Tri-Corner was very crowded when I walked by there the next morning.
    This is GSMNP, where "crowded" can be a hit-or-miss sort of thing.
    I stayed at Pecks this July and there were more people there than the allocated number of spots at the shelter.

Physically, there isn't anything wrong with the shelter, but it's one of my least favorite shelters in GSMNP because it seems so dark (others might consider that a plus). Unlike most other renovated shelters in GSMNP, Pecks doesn't have anything in the way of sky lights. It opens up just about due east, so by late after noon, the sun is behind it leaving things relatively dark looking inside.

++ New Posts ++