WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 10-15 day hike, Virginia, October

Hey folks,

It has been quite a while since I have posted on here. I was gearing up for a thru-hike last year (Nobo 2017) and ended up moving to Alaska to work in one of the many national parks here. I am going to be back in Va this fall and want to do a hike that will last around 2 weeks with flexibility for more or less time around October. I am thinking about trying to do Rockfish Gap SOBO to Catawba or further south. I am also doing a hike with a friend the week before from Waynesboro Pa to Harper's Ferry as a warm up and welcome back to the east coast. I most likely will go back to Richmond, Va and then get a ride to another trail head, but am also open to just hiking straight through. I am mostly wondering about the best resupply/ town options through the Rockfish to Roanoke area, as well as how water is doing this year in that area. I am also open to other section hike suggestions. Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by frontovik193 View Post
    Hey folks,

It has been quite a while since I have posted on here. I was gearing up for a thru-hike last year (Nobo 2017) and ended up moving to Alaska to work in one of the many national parks here. I am going to be back in Va this fall and want to do a hike that will last around 2 weeks with flexibility for more or less time around October. I am thinking about trying to do Rockfish Gap SOBO to Catawba or further south. I am also doing a hike with a friend the week before from Waynesboro Pa to Harper's Ferry as a warm up and welcome back to the east coast. I most likely will go back to Richmond, Va and then get a ride to another trail head, but am also open to just hiking straight through. I am mostly wondering about the best resupply/ town options through the Rockfish to Roanoke area, as well as how water is doing this year in that area. I am also open to other section hike suggestions. Thanks!
    this may be a minority opinion but i prefer south of catawba to north. well, south of daleville, really.

one thing for certain, from catawba to rockfish gap all of the resupply (daleville aside, which isnt far from catawba) is very far from the trail

I did Harpers Ferry to Daleville this spring. Took me 24 days, no zeros but several "nearO's". Took 9 days to go from Rockfish Gap to HOJO's in Daleville. You could probably do that section quicker, as two of my nearo's were in that section. One coming out of Waynesboro and one going into Glassgow. Only did 4 miles on those two days.

For the section your interested in, I resupplied in Waynesboro, hit the Devil's Backbone Brewery 2 days out of Waynesboro for dinner and breakfast (and a few beers!), then Glassgow. Some go to Buena Vista instead of Glassgow, but I like Glassgow better as I think it's easier to get in and out of, plus they have the free town shelter and shower. Plus there is a restaurant 100 yards from the shelter and a Dollar General across the street.

I like the Rockfish Gap to Daleville section. It's rugged and more interesting then the SNP or the long ridge walks south of Catawba.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I like the Rockfish Gap to Daleville section. It's rugged and more interesting then the SNP or the long ridge walks south of Catawba.
    that seems to be the consensus but man did i hate rockfish gap to (basically) daleville. its entirely possible its for reasons that really arent about the trail, but who knows. i also think maybe i like walking along the top of an obvious ridgeline. reminds me of my home state or something.

is devil's backbone close to the trail? i dont know if it was even there when i hiked that area.

ive been to both glasgow and buena vista just in my car driving and while glasgow is more pleasant there also isnt a heck of a lot there. if i were doing it (and its unlikely i ever will be) i dont know if i'd be down for making it my resupply stop through that section instead of buena vista. with multiple ways into both one could theoretically hit both of them a couple day apart but that would probably strike me as too much trouble

Avoiding SNP in October is a good idea due to the high volume of vehicular traffic for leaf viewing. For those who value a quiet walk it feels intrusive, particularly the motorcycle noise. The trail fortunately deviates away from the blue ridge parkway south. Three ridges and other areas south of Rockfish Gap are very rewarding.

VA has a lot to offer, If foliage is of desire to you, I would be trying to hike in VA the last half of October as the first half is green.

With a state as long as VA there are countless options.
    HF sobo down thru SNP was my first week long hike. I did 105 miles in 7-8 days with 1 zero. It was a great trip and I would suggest it as an option.

However,
    A great deal more of a challenge would be VA 621 (Craig Creek Rd) nobo, I say this road bc it will include the Audie Murphy monument, as well as dragons tooth before dropping down into Catawba. Then you have mcafees knob, and tinker cliffs before Daleville. from there you start the stretch that meanders over the James river and overlapping the BRP for miles until you come a couple doozies, Spy Rock, The Priest, and the 3 ridges. I would agree that this stretch from just south of Catawba to Rockfish Gap is the most difficult in VA
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    A great deal more of a challenge would be VA 621 (Craig Creek Rd) nobo, I say this road bc it will include the Audie Murphy monument, as well as dragons tooth before dropping down into Catawba. Then you have mcafees knob, and tinker cliffs before Daleville. from there you start the stretch that meanders over the James river and overlapping the BRP for miles until you come a couple doozies, Spy Rock, The Priest, and the 3 ridges. I would agree that this stretch from just south of Catawba to Rockfish Gap is the most difficult in VA
    theres lots of reasons for my thinking this that may or may not have any real validity, but in my head the switch flips from easy to hard at jennings creek, of all places, and goes i guess until youve ascended 3 ridges going north

October is beautiful here. Can't say yet on water, but the past month has been very wet, indications are that it will continue, so water should be plentiful. If you need help with a ride into Buena Vista, happy to help. PM me here as you get closer if you need any more help on logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    theres lots of reasons for my thinking this that may or may not have any real validity, but in my head the switch flips from easy to hard at jennings creek, of all places, and goes i guess until youve ascended 3 ridges going north
    That apple orchard climb(Just north Jennings Creek) lasted all day and kicked my butt, still got my 20 in though lol

Images

That apple orchard climb(Just north Jennings Creek) lasted all day and kicked my butt, still got my 20 in though lol
    yeah thats the one. i had planned about 14 miles to thunder hill as a low mileage day with a few hours later than normal start from jennings creek and have never been so worn out in my life at the end of it. the next day wasnt much better and i bailed when i got to the james river.

it being 94 degrees out in the first week of july was possibly a bigger factor than i am giving it credit in my mind though. and how little hiking i had done the prior 18-20 months. that it was a lot of effort and misery with little to no pay off other than seeing some more trees around every bend didn't help either. nor did the plan to make rockfish gap without trying to hassle myself getting into town for resupply and thus carrying 8 days of supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    yeah thats the one. i had planned about 14 miles to thunder hill as a low mileage day with a few hours later than normal start from jennings creek and have never been so worn out in my life at the end of it. the next day wasnt much better and i bailed when i got to the james river.

it being 94 degrees out in the first week of july was possibly a bigger factor than i am giving it credit in my mind though. and how little hiking i had done the prior 18-20 months. that it was a lot of effort and misery with little to no pay off other than seeing some more trees around every bend didn't help either. nor did the plan to make rockfish gap without trying to hassle myself getting into town for resupply and thus carrying 8 days of supplies.
    I bailed there too!! haha
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The Devils Backbone is at Reeds gap, VA664 which is a few miles north of Maupin field shelter. It's a ways off the trail, 6 or 8 miles. But if you can get service and call, sometimes they will run out and get you. Or it's an easy hitch. If you stay the night at the free campground and buy the $5 hiker breakfast, they will shuttle you back, but not until 9 AM. Just don't drink too many 9.2% beers or it might be rough going the next day. Traveling SOBO and having to do the three ridges the next day, I'm surprised I made it
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I bailed there too!! haha
    Ha. Me three. Did a 21 mile day in the pouring rain on a cold October day,
    popped my pad at the shelter just before the bridge and called it a trip the next AM. Still regret it but have since finished that section.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Ha. Me three. Did a 21 mile day in the pouring rain on a cold October day,
    popped my pad at the shelter just before the bridge and called it a trip the next AM. Still regret it but have since finished that section.
    hah that section is cursed

Images

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'm going to take all of it into consideration, and really appreciate the response. I have done 1-2 day hikes up or down parts of this section but not all of it in one go. My first hike up to the priest a couple of years ago was also cursed, I think. I got stuck in traffic around Charlottesville and hit the trail head after dark, ended up bushwhacking to find a spot to camp just off the trail and woke up in a storm. I had to call it due to lightning towards the middle of the day and went to SNP the next day instead. I didn't know they were still doing a special for hikers at Devil's Backbone actually. If so, that is something I would like to check out. Some of the other hike options also sound pretty good.
    I'll post again when I actually have my ticket back to VA and my plans are ironed out.
    Cheers!

++ New Posts ++