WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Oregon Coast Trail in December?

Would this be miserable?

Not hiking the whole trail but maybe 100 miles or so. I am also a golfer so planning on ending in Bandon area and playing a round at Bandon Dunes which is one of the best golf courses in the nation.

Looks like average temps aren't that much lower than summer months, but much more chance of rain. Also the shorter days will have an effect on hiking time.

Would mid November be much better?

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Would this be miserable?

Not hiking the whole trail but maybe 100 miles or so. I am also a golfer so planning on ending in Bandon area and playing a round at Bandon Dunes which is one of the best golf courses in the nation.

Looks like average temps aren't that much lower than summer months, but much more chance of rain. Also the shorter days will have an effect on hiking time.

Would mid November be much better?
    There won't be much difference between November and December. I have not hiked the Oregon Coast, but have hiked a lot in Washington. The weather is similar. The constant rain and the wet trails make hiking miserable. The coastal trails become muddy and the rocks are slick.
    Shutterbug

I hiked the OCT last summer after fires closed the PCT and enjoyed it despite the road walks. The guidebook says not to hike it in winter, but a friend did years ago and said she lucked out and had mostly good weather, which was not typical.

++ New Posts ++