WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Impulse buy - MSR Pocket Rocket

I had some time to kill Saturday and decided to wander down to the local backpacking store to buy a pair of low-cut Darn Tough socks, and ended up walking out with an MSR Pocket Rocket stove and a couple of fuel canisters, along with the socks.

I initially had buyer's remorse, then, I set that thing up and gave it a trial run with 2 cups of water. What a nicely designed piece of equipment - quick and efficient, and powerful. I felt as if I could turn the thing upside-down on full blast and watch it go rocketing toward the stratosphere and it was interesting to watch the pot supports grow red-hot after about a minute on high.

I have always preferred the simplicity of an alcohol stove and will continue to use one on longer hikes but I think I will be switching to this canister stove for shorter trips and car camping. Anybody else own one?
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Images

i have a model from about ten years ago thats still working good.......they have updated its design since then i believe....

its a good little stove, at least from my limited needs.............

i still havent tried, although i have one, the alcohol stove route....

Tried and true stove....the Pocket Rocket set the standard a few years back, hard to beat it....I use the Microrocket nowadays, slightly lighter and more compact....I believe they have a new version out now or coming soon.....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Its classic design for a lightweight solo stove. It does have its limitations, it does not work well in windy/breezy conditions unless you rig up heat shield. Some folks just put up with it by cooking in areas out of the wind. Once a proper heat shield is rigged up, there is a boost in fuel economy.

Although a bit heavier of a pot, the Olicamp XTS or similar pot with the thermal conductor ring around the bottom work very efficiently with the pocket rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by foodbag View Post
    I had some time to kill Saturday and decided to wander down to the local backpacking store to buy a pair of low-cut Darn Tough socks, and ended up walking out with an MSR Pocket Rocket stove and a couple of fuel canisters, along with the socks.

I initially had buyer's remorse, then, I set that thing up and gave it a trial run with 2 cups of water. What a nicely designed piece of equipment - quick and efficient, and powerful. I felt as if I could turn the thing upside-down on full blast and watch it go rocketing toward the stratosphere and it was interesting to watch the pot supports grow red-hot after about a minute on high.

I have always preferred the simplicity of an alcohol stove and will continue to use one on longer hikes but I think I will be switching to this canister stove for shorter trips and car camping. Anybody else own one?
    I've had mine for years and still use it every trip
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

If the ol pocket rocket is your largest impulse buy youre doing "A OK" lol. Used one for years however 2 years ago I transferred to the cat food can and I don't think I will ever carry a canister again.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The only major negative to the Pocket Rocket (compared to other canister stoves) is that it's unstable (easy to knock your pot over with only three contact points).

All stoves with just three "legs" will have a similar problem. You have to go to something like a JetBoil, where the stove connects to the pot, to totally over come this problem.

But I've preferred the Snow Peak LiteMax. When in use, it's size is about the same as the Pocket Rocket. But the arms lie flat rather than at an angle. The difference is that you have three "arms" holding your pot rather than three "finger tips". Seems to make the setup a little more stable. I also liked the fact that the LiteMax is lighter and folds up smaller (at least compared to the Pocket Rocket, not familiar with design improvements MSR has made with the more recent PocketRocket 2).

I've owned one for I think 6 years. Used it on every trip i've been on. I've knocked my pot off a time or too but as long as your paying attention it won't happen.

Only pocket rocket I’ve ever purchased wasn’t sold in a backpacking store......Runs on batteries not fuel....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I should clarify that I bought the Pocket Rocket 2. Still liking it and might cook my dinner at home with it tonight, just because I can
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

I have used mine with an ultralight ovens. Great for making muffins and cakes out of muffin mix.

I seem to recall seeing that the 2019 updated version will have 4 pot supports

++ New Posts ++