WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Osprey Exos 58

Default Osprey Exos 58

Does the current version of this pack have a frame? Their website says nothing about a frame and the video about the pack doesn't mention a frame.

Thanks

Images

I was looking at one in a store the other day and it had a frame.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Yes it does. I did not find it as comfortable as the older version though for some reason. Love the old Exos...bought a new one while they were still available even though I didn't need one.

i also prefer the old one. the new version has a softer back suspension system but that makes is bounce when you hike. also they stole all the useful pockets off it.

...and the new version is heavier.

Wish they'd stop screwing with the Exos. I had the (original?)46 and 58. Now have the next version in 38 and 58L, which I love, except for the fragile mesh they tried to ruin it with.
    Wouldn't even consider the current ones with no hip belt pockets, which also went back to the original's idiotic "bottom" strap placement-that isn't on the bottom. It's bizarre, like they randomly change stuff for better or worse just to be able to call it "new", with no regard for functionality. This time they've managed to increase weight while removing 4 pockets(but not that Stow-on-the-Go crap).
    Might as well buy the Levity or Lumina if you're light enough, and don't want the strap or pockets.
    I do want them, personally. Spent a week backpacking with a friend who was using a Levity 60 in my size(in place of his own Exos 58), and declined to even try it on. Nice pack, I just know it's not for me.
    Hopefully they'll change the Exos again, and to something like the last version but with more durable stretch pockets, before I need a replacement!

+1 for the 2015-2017 Exos, great pack with a nice blend of function and feature. After testing a 2018 Exos, I ended up with a 2017 Green Exos 58 AND a Levity 60. I use the Exos for 7-10+ day, no resupply outings and the Levity for bikepacking and warm weather jaunts up to 7 days.

While I have to assume the Levity's fit is not for everyone, it is hands down the best fitting most comfortable pack I've tried. Even at 30lbs it transfers all the weigth to my hips and stays there much better than my Exos, although I've never tried my Exos at "only" 30lbs.
    Having the Exos become the single most popular AT backpack, I cannot fathom why Osprey would mess up a proven pack with backwards thinking "improvements", I guess they hope to keep going on name alone.

To answer the OP's question, all Airspeed suspensions use an aluminum alloy frame and mesh suspension which with the possible exception of the Arc Haul and its brothers is the best ventilated, coolest carrying packs available IMOH.

After a owning and hiking with a Stratos 50, then the Exos and now the Levity I'm 110% sold on the Airspeed suspension system and doubt I will ever buy a pack without it.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    +1 for the 2015-2017 Exos, great pack with a nice blend of function and feature. After testing a 2018 Exos, I ended up with a 2017 Green Exos 58 AND a Levity 60. I use the Exos for 7-10+ day, no resupply outings and the Levity for bikepacking and warm weather jaunts up to 7 days.

While I have to assume the Levity's fit is not for everyone, it is hands down the best fitting most comfortable pack I've tried. Even at 30lbs it transfers all the weigth to my hips and stays there much better than my Exos, although I've never tried my Exos at "only" 30lbs.
    Having the Exos become the single most popular AT backpack, I cannot fathom why Osprey would mess up a proven pack with backwards thinking "improvements", I guess they hope to keep going on name alone.

To answer the OP's question, all Airspeed suspensions use an aluminum alloy frame and mesh suspension which with the possible exception of the Arc Haul and its brothers is the best ventilated, coolest carrying packs available IMOH.

After a owning and hiking with a Stratos 50, then the Exos and now the Levity I'm 110% sold on the Airspeed suspension system and doubt I will ever buy a pack without it.
    There is a group of us that assume they changed the Exos in order to make it a bigger weight difference over the Levity/Lumina. Personally, I still don't think the Lumina/Levity is light enough to warrant buying it over an Exos.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Seems like if they wanted to maintain a weight differential, they could have left some freaking pockets on there! To my way of thinking, they might as well kill off the Exos altogether if it's not going to offer additional features.

I'm also very happy with the Airspeed suspension, but 30lbs is where I draw the line, personally. Around there is when the original's hip belt became a PITA, and would have to be constantly retightened, anyway.
    7 days is as long as I get out at a time(most often 2-3, hence the 38L version), and the rest of my gear is light enough that I don't break 30 any more, even with a bear can. Which is good, 'cause somewhere in the mid 20s is where the Exos just "disappears" for me.

My friend and I were within about a pound of each other when he was using the Levity for its first real trip, and he had no comfort issues, either.

Based on weight alone I would not have purchased the Levity as I like pockets and multiple areas- the Stratos for example has IRC 11 seperate places for gear. BUT once I wore it, the Levity was just amazing fit wise. My analysis is the Levitys lower frame is several inches wider than the Exos and that gives it more wrap around which translates into a complete lack of pressure points(the Exos does seem to have minor pressure points on my body) and a LOT more grip on the hips.
    The Levitys bag/design leaves something to be desired especially the outside pockets but the suspension to crassly misquote someone here, is like being hugged by Jesus.
    FWIW, I did a very long detailed comparison of my 3 Airspeed bags in the gear section, its about 10 posts below this thread.

Keep in mind that the Levity is a first generation product with room for improvement. I imagine Osprey will make changes sooner than later. Also, with the general consensus of screwing up the Exos with the latest version, I imagine they'll change that also (fingers crossed). I would be interested in a Levity if they got more things right and got the weight down to make the difference between the Exos and Levity price more reasonable. That or a dialed Exos much like the previous version. By then I'll probably have switched to an Ohm 2.0 though...

Leonidas

Based on weight alone I would not have purchased the Levity as I like pockets and multiple areas- the Stratos for example has IRC 11 seperate places for gear. BUT once I wore it, the Levity was just amazing fit wise. My analysis is the Levitys lower frame is several inches wider than the Exos and that gives it more wrap around which translates into a complete lack of pressure points(the Exos does seem to have minor pressure points on my body) and a LOT more grip on the hips.
    The Levitys bag/design leaves something to be desired especially the outside pockets but the suspension to crassly misquote someone here, is like being hugged by Jesus.
    FWIW, I did a very long detailed comparison of my 3 Airspeed bags in the gear section, its about 10 posts below this thread.
    Hrm, that is actually good to know on the Levity frame. My Exos 48M pokes me in the glutes... I was looking at getting a 58 and a 38 and selling the 48 as it is more than I need for summer and a little room would be nice for winter loads without compressing my quilts as much.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

2022 Exos will have new colors(of course) and hipbelt pockets. I was calling about something else and didn't press for details, that's just what the CS rep said when I asked if he knew anything about the 2022 version.
    Now I wish I'd asked about whether there were any updates to the Levity, too.

My 2014 Exos 38 was replaced by a 2018 version 14 months ago. I'm so used to it, and using a chest pack, that I don't even think about the missing pockets any more.
    Between that and being so happy with the suspension on the 2018 it's hard for me to care too much, but I am curious about the new pockets and how big they are.

50k7yf84h1h81.png

I'm neither thrilled nor appalled by the new colors.
    My current 2018 38L was just enough for 7 days/6 nights in the Rockies last fall, but I had to use the lid, and may well have the new 48L before my next trip of that length there or the Uintas.
    More pics and specs for all 3 sizes at Enwild, though not in stock. Looks like they got a fuzz heavier again, but since the 2018 suspension upgrade, they could beef it up and gain another half pound for all I care.
    Now in S/M and L/XL with adjustable torso length.
    Here's the 58:
    https://www.enwild.com/osprey-exos-58-2022.html

I went into REI last summer, sure I was going to buy an Exos 58, but also wanted to try on the REI Flash 55. I suspect that the employee showing me the packs was pretty sure the Flash 55 would win out.

Decided the REI pack was more comfortable and bought it. Been happy so far.

Years back — about 12 or so — I had a Flash 62 and it was a really decent and comfortable pack.

YES. It has a frame. I own one.

++ New Posts ++