WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ULA Catalyst/Circuit vs. Zpacks Arc Haul

Anyone have recent experience in owning both and can provide some pros/cons? I have an HMG 2400 and am thinking of adding a second pack.....not sure why, but hey what the hell.

I bought an Arc Haul as my first pack. I love the roll top design (with velcro which the Circuit doesn't have) and the two kinds of pockets you can get for it (hipbelt and top mesh). I had an issue with the lumbar bar area but for most people the optional lumbar pad fixes it (I had to make my own as I needed it thicker than the the ZPacks one as I am pretty boney in that area). It can be finicky to get set up right for you as there are a number of adjustments but once you get it figured out it's done. It has a flat bottom and stands up slightly better on it's own than the Circuit.

I tried the Circuit after my first couple of trips with the Arc Haul...thought I might like it better. I found I couldn't get it to sit right or fit me right. It has a very sloped bottom of the pack so absolutely will NOT stand up alone. The sloped bottom also made it tougher for me to pack the way I usually put my stuff in.

Hip belt pocket size on both was good but the add-ons for the Arc Haul were bigger...I didn't find that they got in the way but they might for some people.

I still own the Arc Haul but recently had to send it in for repair, which ZPacks are already getting on with as I have a tight time-frame). The Circuit is slightly more durable and robust but the dyneema on the Arc Haul is pretty tough. I have had zero problems with the mesh getting holes in it even after a few bushwacks through some pine scrub. I sold the Circuit pretty quickly.

They are both great packs but the fit and form of the Circuit just didn't work for me, not to mention I much prefer keeping the pack off my back with the mesh of the Arc Haul (and my Osprey packs).

Images

I own both a Catalyst and an Arc Haul. Both good packs but very different. The Catalyst is a workhorse! It is comfortable, durable and tough. It is a pack that you can stuff a lot of gear into and can hold up to 40 lbs. The Arc Haul is also a very comfortable pack but definitely requires a little more thought in packing it and getting the arc and suspension set properly. I have not carried the Arc Haul as many miles as the Catalyst but my impression is that it may not be as durable as the Catalyst. I do love that the Arc Haul does not need a pack cover for rain protection and it weighs 1+ pound less than the Catalyst. The Arc Haul also will not carry the same load as the Catalyst. It more of 30 lb. load pack IMO. Hope this helps.

I can't speak for ZPacks products, but I own a CDT, an Ohm and a Circuit by ULA. Love them all!

As a caveat, after getting my Arc Haul back and all fixed up I am finding I much prefer my Osprey Aura. It might be just a little heavier (I have made some mods) but I just find it to be the more comfortable pack. So just bear that in mind since I can't change my former review.

I converted from Circuit to Arc Blast this season, zero qualms
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    As a caveat, after getting my Arc Haul back and all fixed up I am finding I much prefer my Osprey Aura. It might be just a little heavier (I have made some mods) but I just find it to be the more comfortable pack. So just bear that in mind since I can't change my former review.
    Like shoes, sleep systems, etc. personal fit and comfort trumps the latest Whiz Bang Gizmo.
    Factor in the Osprey Forever Guarantee. Osprey is in the process of replacing the 6 year old Red Rose color Kyte 46 backpack due to a manufacturing defect. Customer service above and beyond!
    Wayne

If you run a bit warm when hiking, the fact that the circuit is pretty hot on your back is a real consideration. It feels like a big ol' sweater back there on summer hikes!
    Other than that, I have always enjoyed the pack and the fit has been good for me

Images

I had two Circuits. My old hiking partner "borrowed" the first one (it fit him so well.... ) and the second one I plumb wore out. Great packs, very durable, comfortable. I replaced the second one with an Arc Haul in 2015, and it's even better, saves almost a pound and is much cooler on my back. It's also much more water resistant, and I like the suspension. Yes, I need to be more careful with it, I think, but so far it has held up well. I don't carry more than 28-30 pounds.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If you wind up choosing the Catalyst, I have a barely used one for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    If you wind up choosing the Catalyst, I have a barely used one for sale.
    Thanks for the heads up. When did you buy it? Did you buy it new? Any problems with it? Torso size? Hip belt size? Type of shoulder straps? Color?

Thanks

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. When did you buy it? Did you buy it new? Any problems with it? Torso size? Hip belt size? Type of shoulder straps? Color?

Thanks
    Here's a link to the original posting, with pics. I bought it used, but I don't think the original owner ever had a chance to use it. I used it twice. No problems at all, I just didn't find it to be as comfortable as my Granit Gear packs. Really just offering it because I have only one back, but 7 backpacks. If it doesn't sell, I have kids!

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...light=catalyst

I have a Catalyst and my sister has a ZPack. We have tried each other's packs. I was super uncomfortable in her pack and she was super uncomfortable in mine. The lumbar thing killed me, as DuneElliot said. I can't remember the discomfort she felt in the ULA... but I had one for free for her and she hated it so much that she didn't even want one for free.

I also think that if I had purchased a ZPack and she had purchased a ULA... we would have made it work. I think that maybe laying out the money often makes you adjust and tweak a piece of gear until it is really yours. You make the investment of time and $$$ to make it work. Assuming that the gear is the right size, etc.

I also talked to one thru hiker who switched from ULA to Zpacks because he said that his ULA got soaked and retained the water and was super heavy.

Curious about ULA’s Robic Fabric - is it waterproof?

Obvious caveat - neither pack is marketed as a waterproof pack. However, google searches of Robic list it as a waterproof fabric, and Zpacks calls the Arc Haul “highly water resistant.”

I have an Arc Haul and agree that it’s highly water resistant - the fabric itself is waterproof and all seams are taped/sealed. However, there is an opening for a hydration tube, and I also notice that as the pack gets older and loaded down, some of the high stress stitching areas seem like they’re a little more opened up and the seams are more visible than when brand new. I’ve never had a water leak and have had it in the rain plenty of times and it’s always been “functionally waterproof” from my perspective. Curious about ULA’s packs in this regard. Any experiences or observations from the ULA folks? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used Safeway house brand unscented trash compactor bags to waterproof my Catalyst. The Catalyst also has a water hose port. The trash bag solved that problem.
    The Catalyst hip belt pockets are fantastic!
    Wayne

Wayne - What about the pack fabric itself? Does the fabric absorb water like nylon or cordura? Or does the fabric repel water like Cuben/DCF fabrics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s coated nylon. I rarely get rained on. If I do, my poncho deflects rain water. I don’t worry about it. Sorry I’m not more helpful.
    Wayne

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Anyone have recent experience in owning both and can provide some pros/cons? I have an HMG 2400 and am thinking of adding a second pack.....not sure why, but hey what the hell.
    Where will you be hiking? On trail? Off-trail? Scrambling?

The ULA packs are all-around good packs but heavier than some lighter weight packs. They shine when you are going into areas off the beaten path and your gear is going to get banged up. I tend to hike off-trail, scramble, and thrash my gear. The fabric is a little heavier vs other packs so it will retain water somewhat vs. a thinner material pack, but I have not found that be an issue personally. YMMV. My ULA CDT is my constant companion solo and I use a Catalyst for guiding/winter backpacking on skis. I just purchased a Circuit for hiking with a partner (two-person tent) and think I'll start using that pack for winter and overnight guiding trips. That's how much I like ULA packs! They are also more affordable than other packs too.

However, if you are sticking to maintained trails, the Z Packs may be a better choice. I'd probably use a different pack vs my CDT on maintained trails FWIW.

This is assuming both packs fit you equally well, of course. Otherwise, go with the pack fit as the deciding factor. Packs, like shoes, fit people differently.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-28-2018 at 22:55.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Where will you be hiking? On trail? Off-trail? Scrambling?

The ULA packs are all-around good packs but heavier than some lighter weight packs. They shine when you are going into areas off the beaten path and your gear is going to get banged up. I tend to hike off-trail, scramble, and thrash my gear. The fabric is a little heavier vs other packs so it will retain water somewhat vs. a thinner material pack, but I have not found that be an issue personally. YMMV. My ULA CDT is my constant companion solo and I use a Catalyst for guiding/winter backpacking on skis. I just purchased a Circuit for hiking with a partner (two-person tent) and think I'll start using that pack for winter and overnight guiding trips. That's how much I like ULA packs! They are also more affordable than other packs too.

However, if you are sticking to maintained trails, the Z Packs may be a better choice. I'd probably use a different pack vs my CDT on maintained trails FWIW.

This is assuming both packs fit you equally well, of course. Otherwise, go with the pack fit as the deciding factor. Packs, like shoes, fit people differently.
    Would you consider the AT in ME a "maintained trail"?
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

So, you're looking for something like a winter pack to hold some bulk? I would not be scared off by the Catalyst and how big it is. Holds an awful lot of gear, but it also is pretty good with a smaller load. For reference, my other pack is a CDT for when my summer loads are truly small and light. I've got some bulky winter stuff, but often I find myself "camping" with friends where I take more stuff instead of just stuff for hiking.

But the Catalyst is a big difference compared to what you already have. Might be a better fit for a Circuit?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++