WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HighlandsHiker View Post
    Just an update: I talked with the personnel in the Mammoth Lake PO, there is no mail delivery in Mammoth Lakes, everything is POB only. When I called my hotel last week (and told them I was mailing a package) I was given their street address; I used USPS Priority Mail and when my package was received at Mammoth Lakes PO they saw only the street address and without hesitation (same day) immediately sent it back to me. It would've been nice for them to look up the hotel's POB - the hotel's
    name was clearly labeled - but that didn't happen.

Lesson here: either send to yourself at the Mammoth Lake PO as "General Delivery" or if staying in town use UPS to send your box.
    For those along the JMT, An easier option is paying Red's Meadow to pick up your package and bring it to their resort practically right on the JMT.
    However, I thought they only charged $20 (since they can drive the supplies right up to their store). But their current instruction sheet indicates $40.
    Suddenly makes the MTR charge of $80 to handle your resupply bucket seem cheap given all the handling it requires to get your bucket to MTR.

There is nothing particularly scenic going over Bear Ridge. There is a waterfall on the ascent going SOBO after the bridge crossing but that's it.... ! It's the route to get over a steep knob around the eastern side? of Lake Edison. There is no view of the lake. It's up up up and then a meandering back down. It's dry. It's wooded single track. It's basically a big hump of a route. Going JMT NOBO I'd rather explore and fish along the Bear Creek Tr heading out to Bear Creek Dam and to the road going to Mono Hot Springs where a PO exists and Hot Springs.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'm sorry to hear about all the issues. I did the JMT in 2013 and there was fire that was spewing smoke up half of the JMT. I somehow managed to thru hike it, but I spent 6 days in smoke. Some of those days were super thick smoke, and I was having trouble breathing. If I were to do it again I would bail immediately.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Meanwhile, my practice hikes in the Smokies have been in the 3,000' to 4,000' range. Baxter Creek Trail up Mt. Sterling (two weekends ago) was right at 4,100'.

I set foot on the JMT at Happy Isles (fingers crossed right now) on August 28th.
    You've done the whole AT...there's nothing on the JMT that's nearly as hard as NH or ME, the whole JMT is nicely graded (think the AT in VA for example). Altitude is the only thing that might get ya...or smoke if you decide to try to hike through an area near a fire.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've come to conclude. Just did another Smokies weekend, about 34 miles up Eagle Creek to the AT at Spence Field then down Jenkins Ridge to Hazel Creek and Lakeshore to Fontana Dam. LOTS of ascending and descending over some tough trail. Think miles of unmaintained blackberry brambles on Jenkins. YUCK.

Plus I'm allowing 4 days of acclimating to the elevation, then only averaging about 10 miles a day, and 3 zero days. We're planning on enjoying this stroll through the Sierras. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    You've done the whole AT...there's nothing on the JMT that's nearly as hard as NH or ME, the whole JMT is nicely graded (think the AT in VA for example). Altitude is the only thing that might get ya...or smoke if you decide to try to hike through an area near a fire.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'm allowing 4 days of acclimating to the elevation, then only averaging about 10 miles a day, and 3 zero days.
    So what exactly is your acclimatizing plan?

For me, I took along some Diamox and used the low dosage option to minimize side effects.
    Spent one night in Yosemite Valley. First night on the trail was at 7,600', 2nd night was at 9,600', 3rd night was at 9,200' and 4th night was 10,000'. That next morning, I felt the effects of altitude in the form of not feeling hungry for my breakfast. Fortunately at this point, I knew I'd make it to Red's one day ahead of schedule and so I ate a package of pre-cooked bacon I had planned for a dinner.
    That evening, by the time I got to Devil's Post Pile with elevations below 8,000', I could feel the positive effects of being at a lower altitude. After spending the night at Red's, I quit the Diamox and luckily never had another issue with altitude.

Speaking of medications... I'd suggest you carry some Imodium in your 1st Aid Kit.
    My 8th night out on the trail, I came down with something and literally filled two cat holes before bed. Was afraid I was going to have to abandon my hike early. But took my Imodium and was better the next day... never getting sick again.
    I don't know if I caught something from fellow hikers, from drinking the water at Red's (the only place I drank any water I didn't personally filter), or simply my body retaliating from a full week of hiking at altitude (both were a 1st for me).
    Interestingly enough, I've been following Whimsical Woman's PCT hike, and she too got briefly ill while hiking thru the JMT portion of the PCT... about the same area I got sick.
    In any case, it's not fun getting sick like that in the back country, and Imodium now comes in some tiny little caplets.
    For medications like this (things I want to take along just in case but don't EXPECT to use), I like to vacuum pack them with my Food Saver. That way, the pills don't rub against each other bouncing around in your pack.

Images

I’m interested to hear how Blue Indian’s hike turned out. Hopefully you can let us know if you were able to do the hike and how it went.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++