WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best way to get from Portland to Bangor...

A friend let me use his SW miles but they only go to Portland. Since I saved so much in airfare, not to worried about cost. Thought I would rent a car one way to Bangor International and then the hostel would pick us up there....Is there a rental car place in Monson to drop off? Any other ideas are appreciated...

btw; bus is no good due to times arriving

Nope. The closest you can get is Bangor. The hostels will shuttle to Millinocket, not sure if they will go all the way to Bangor, that's still a long way off.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The cost for shuttles for the last 100 miles will probably exceed the cost of the free plane ticket. The Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket offers shuttles to and from Bangor as well as Monson. There are also shuttle firms in Monson that will shuttle to Bangor and Millinocket. The key thing to remember in Maine is "you cant get there from here" the roads definitely dont go as the crow flies so the shuttles are more expensive as the actual driven miles is more and they are secondary roads so it takes longer. Keep in mind that there may be other folks looking for the same shuttle and therefore you may get a break on price by being a bit flexible.

We'll just rent a car from Portland to Bangor, Shaw's will pick up there, spend the night, hit the trail. Once we're finished, supposedly there is a bus from Appalachian Trail Lodge to Bangor, rent car, drive to Portland. Looks like the easiest...Under $200 for the rentals. Much less expensive than the 1100.00 r/t tickets from Ft Lauderdale to Bangor

We'll just rent a car from Portland to Bangor, Shaw's will pick up there, spend the night, hit the trail. Once we're finished, supposedly there is a bus from Appalachian Trail Lodge to Bangor, rent car, drive to Portland. Looks like the easiest...Under $200 for the rentals. Much less expensive than the 1100.00 r/t tickets from Ft Lauderdale to Bangor

Just got a ride for $150 from Portland airport to Monson. Got it from the list at Acorntrailguide.com, Very happy, just have to figure if I want to head straight to the trail head, approximately 3AMish, or figure a way to hang for Shaws breakfast and ride to trail...

Quote Originally Posted by Meenkya View Post
    Just got a ride for $150 from Portland airport to Monson. Got it from the list at Acorntrailguide.com, Very happy, just have to figure if I want to head straight to the trail head, approximately 3AMish, or figure a way to hang for Shaws breakfast and ride to trail...
    Hit Shaw's first!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Hit Shaw's first!
    At 3 am? Just be real quiet about it!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Have to contact Shaw's to see what my options are to hang there and wait for the breakfast. Cant miss starting that iconic way!
    Don't mind paying them whatever to support them..too stoked to care

Of course we'll respect others, noise discipline and all...hoorah

Spoke with a very nice woman at Shaws and she was amazingly accommodating. Told her we were coming in at 3am and she said, no problem the lounge is open just come in and relax till breakfast (hoorah!), get last minute stuff (fuel etc), ride to trail head! Super stoked, less than two weeks! This site has been an invaluable resource.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

All don't forget that ME, like, AK, is full of small charter planes. Not cheap, but you can fly from almost anywhere to anywhere. Chartered a float plane once. It was awesome!
    Be Prepared

++ New Posts ++