WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default should I be wearing blaze orange anytime before a mid Oct finish?

I plan on finishing my nobo thru early to mid October and I'm wondering if I should have my safety orange shirts anytime before then. It's actually not extra gear so that's not an issue, the polyester shirts I wear are made in safety orange to so I just swap them out. I only like to wear them when needed cause they are really bright and could be an eye sore for people I imagine, even me. It will be gloomy and cloudy and I'll keep thinking I see the sun coming out haha.

thanks, looks like I should start wearing it by Sept

Once you hit Maine, wear safety orange.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am in no way suggesting that wearing blaze orange in Maine during Hunting season is not a good idea, but...

Just how common is for an AT Hiker to encounter hunters ON or NEAR THE AT in the state of Maine?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I am in no way suggesting that wearing blaze orange in Maine during Hunting season is not a good idea, but...

Just how common is for an AT Hiker to encounter hunters ON or NEAR THE AT in the state of Maine?
    And how many thru hikers are going to be wearing orange? Better to be safe then sorry but also the AT is pretty well known and also are thru hikers.

For me I have a bright orange hiking shirt I sport when hunting season comes around.

Just use a little common sense and we'll never heard about you or get to criticize you for being stupid.

When I was a high school student someone at my school was shot dead on their own property by a poacher hunting deer.The deceased was about 14 and I do not know anything about the "hunter" other than to say he should not have been shooting at anything that moved.Yes,it happens that way sometimes.So I wear orange in deer season whenever I am in the woods anywhere.

I wear Marmot Windridge in bright red all year for both hiking and trail running. Poachers don't pay much attention to official "seasons".

Journal Entries
    Images

Thirty five years after the fact I still needle my mother on occasion as to why she sent me the hand knit white hat (proudly shown in my profile photo) complete with white pom-pom on top.

But since it was all I had and I was not very smart back then ...

Journal Entries

I wear an orange cap in fall

I hang blaze orange bandana across pack with safety pins. 1.00 at hobby lobby

I'm also thru hiking and have been hearing gun fire close to the trail since GA.

Granted, most of these people are just target shooting safely and responsibly but accidents due happen.

Furthermore, its not just deer/bear season you need to be concerned about.

Small game starts in September. Shotguns and rimfires being the primary hunting weapon.

Not a bad idea to hang a blaze orange bandana on ones pack.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I wear Marmot Windridge in bright red all year for both hiking and trail running. Poachers don't pay much attention to official "seasons".
    Plus it’s very fashionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the years I have run into hunters, both legally engaged in the sport and those who were not, who were surprised to learn how close they were to the trail. Some of these folks knew there was a trail nearby but weren't sure exactly where it was, others didn't know there was a trail near them. Surprisingly some of them became a bit belligerent when informed there was. My guess is we do not see many hunters as a general rule during a hike, but we are probably seen by hunters far more often than we think.

It only takes one person who may be impaired or just careless to mistake the sound of two legs and trekking poles combined with a large, dark shape moving quickly in the woods as a four legged creature and fire the shot that hits you. Wearing orange starting in September is a good idea for protection against this circumstance.

Journal Entries

Aint just a question of mistaken identity

You dont want a loaded rifle pointed at you even because owner thinks you might be animal, and looks in scope.

And always chance theres an animal between you and hunter, and your in background.

Be visible

It dont matter if you were in the right, when your dead. Its a courtesy to everyone
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-03-2018 at 09:15.

Images

You should always wear blaze orange. It shows up better in pictures.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I do the same thing, both with my rain jacket and my hiking t-shirts---

DSC00071-L.jpg
    Here's my Arcteryx jacket in action at the start of a winter trip. Highly visible and also highly useful.

TRIP 128 164-L.jpg
    When the jacket's not needed you can place it over your pack for visibility.

TRIP 128 171-L.jpg
    Another pic.

TRIP 136 216-L.jpg
    And a good backpacking t-shirt can also come in orange. Point is, there's no need to wear orange specific hunting gear when you can find suitable top quality backpacking gear . . . in orange.

Yes. You should.

The chances of getting shot are very slim. Most hunters are too drunk to hit anything at which they shoot.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    The chances of getting shot are very slim. Most hunters are too drunk to hit anything at which they shoot.
    That's the problem. They may not be shooting at you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++