WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Okay I'll post my mug lol.Attachment 43465

It's 4 years old but I'm dressed up lol.
    You should wear that hat on the trail. Doubles as an umbrella.

Hears a pic Mr.Sack shooting some delicious snapper last weekend....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Hears a pic Mr.Sack shooting some delicious snapper last weekend....

I betcha that was yummy...Blackened?

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    I betcha that was yummy...Blackened?
    Yep....blacked fish tacos w avocado cilantro lime sour cream....

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Here's me and my husband at one o' them road crossings up in Maine. September 2015.
    Attachment 43462
    Nice photo! Did you guys finish yet or is there still hope of meeting up on the trail?
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 08-19-2018 at 12:22.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Nice photo! Did you guys finish yet or is there still hope of meeting up on the trail?
    Not finished yet. Headed up to finish Vermont next month, then next year we finish New York and the last little bit of Virginia. 2020 will be about NH and the Mahoosucs. Last piece will be on our anniversary here in Tennessee. Still about 350 miles to go!

IMG_20180428_155424.jpg
    Me, resting at Camden Hills State Park

IMG_20180629_104034.jpg

My GF and I looking at the approaching thunderstorms over the Presidentials from WildCat E observation platform

IMG_20180127_101123.jpg

Me, from Mt Willard overlooking Crawford Notch

IMG_20171021_113125.jpg
    Me Franconia Ridge last October

IMG_20170706_111844.jpg
    GF and I somewhere in the Presi's last year

Last week on a bike touring vacation

Let me go

Hiking somewhere 3weeks ago

Let me go

Lets see if I can do this. I tried last night with my phone, no luck. From the pc, maybe...
    This was last November (hence the blaze orange hat), filling in a section I had previously skipped - heading into Damascus.

Images

How does one pic an all-time favorite pic of ones self? My pic was easy, from last September, a father's finest moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On Whitecap.

After the Bigelows

Finishing up a six day, 74.8 mile section hike in the Whites. This is where the trail continues South, where I will start or finish at some point in the future.

20180727_160633.jpg

A woman, you're safe; a different race, be on guard; ragged clothes, you're homeless, etc. We quickly come to a tentative conclusion whether that person is a friend or foe. Subsequent interactions and observations may change the first impression.
    This one's juicy...anyone wanna bite?
    It is what it is.

Let's put a Face to Amy Willow who Thruhiked the AT back in 2006 and the BMT in 2015---

Amy on Cheoah Bald in 2006---

Amy on the BMT near Unicoi Gap, 2015.

I was thinking about this thread the other day, about how backwards it is. In "normal" life we judge/assess people by their appearance. From the physical appearance we can (usually) get race/gender/age/class. A woman, you're safe; a different race, be on guard; ragged clothes, you're homeless, etc. We quickly come to a tentative conclusion whether that person is a friend or foe. Subsequent interactions and observations may change the first impression.

On WB it's different. Much of that visual information is hidden. Some users don't have ages shown, some have gender-neutral names, few of us show our faces. We get to know one another FIRST and MOST by the quality of information, the tone of a response, the occasional touch of humor, the willingness to speak out in support or sometimes condemnation. It's kinda like what MLK said about his children and the color of their skin and the content of the character. Interesting to think about.

Of course if I should happen to meet one of you on the trail, I'll probably judge you by how you look, and smell!

Here's me and my husband at one o' them road crossings up in Maine. September 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    This one's juicy...anyone wanna bite?
    Sure- misreading intent or misinterpreting an honest attempt at communicating happens often these days.
    As does snipping a word, phrase, or sentence into a standalone statement in order to create a reaction.

There are great advantages to communicating in this way, and great disadvantages too when folks can't speak face to face and use all the tools of tone, body language, inflection, or subtlety lacking in simple text.

We have millennias worth of training as a species to instinctively react to any encounter.
    Be it a bear that crosses our path, a snake, or a two legged.
    Those are bone deep instincts that have served us well enough when those judgments were life or death neccessities.
    It's only fairly recently we have the luxury of considering those instinctive reactions.

And barely a blink in evolutionary time that we have the luxury to suspend them and consider overruling them in favor of something deeper.

Once you've had that juicy bite of the apple and head out to the wilderness... you tend to learn the bear means you no harm, the snake just wants a little sun, and if you cross them on the trail... odds are good that the two legged you run into has much in common with you.

I often think; That perhaps it's not so much that the trail that alters the world as we know it. That the world isn't truly a better place. That things don't magically work out just right. Or that suddenly all of humanity becomes somehow nicer, better, kinder or wiser.

More'n likely; It's not the magic of the trail that restores our faith in humanity and makes the world a better place.
    It's simply that we get the opportunity to see the world that way when given the chance to slow down and walk a bit.
    When we take the time to examine the content of our character, and choose harmony with the world around us.

If'n that's truly the case; The real magic is to walk that trail regardless of where your feet happen to be planted.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++