Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks for the MTD schedule link Slapshot. That will come in very handy. took me 5 minutes to find a route and schedule.

Wayne, I read that thread. News about Scout and Frodo is a shame, but understandable. If I can get there via public transport rather than impose on them I will. Its kind of part of the adventure for me to figure out how to get on and off the trail via public means. I started in NorCal via Amtrak. I had done the research to get home from Canada via public transport as well, but didn't make it that far.

RocDoc, about 6 to 8 weeks on the trail is my limit. I found the same sentiment once I reached Washington last year. All lot of thru-hkers were in a hurry to finish. Doing 30+ miles a day and no longer enjoying it. Shame too as Washington has some of the most spectacular backpacking imaginable.

Images

A few thoughts since I'm giving the PCT a go next year...

First, Scout and Frodo's place, at full capacity, is still a very pleasant experience, and if I were starting after they open next spring, I'd stay there in a heartbeat. alas, I'm starting on March 11th, and they open on the 19th.

Looks like getting a bus to Campo, however, should be easy and cheap. My flight gets to SD at 7am, and I should be on the trail by 1:30pm, something like that, I don't have the exact schedule with me, but it's printed, ready to go.

What's nice about this is that I have time in El Cajon (where you transfer buses) to buy fuel and any last minute items, as there is a Dick's and Big 5 sporting good store within a mile of the bus station. I don't trust the little "green store" in Campo to have fuel, I've heard people getting burned counting on this (see FB PCT 2020 group).

When I started the trail in 2018, I got the standard 7:30am start, making it to Lake Morena my first day, 21 miles, no problem. But the next few days the timing was such that I walked past excellent camping spots around mid-day, so what I'm saying is that I think a mid-day start at Campo is just fine; this will get me in phase with the good camping spots. There is a seasonal water source at mile 7-8 or so, that will be a fine place for first night on the trail, vs. the "zoo" at Lake Morena. I'll walk through the LM CG the next day, take a nice break and fill water.

Bottom line: no great advantage to the standard early start at Campo, based on my 2018 experience.

Not quite sure what you're saying about Scout and Frodo news being a shame... other that this (2020) will be their last year, must be what you're talking about.

Last year, I booked S&F at the very last minute (and they had 1 slot open), and my flight arrived at an off time, so feeling slightly guilty, I wound up taking a bus from the SD airport to within a half a mile of their house and walked the rest of the way.

Good luck you folks! I'm starting pretty early, so probably won't run nto any of you, but if you do meet an old grey haired dude named "rocket" later on, that would be me.

Your correct that S&F closing down is what I was referring to.

I've been trying to figure out how get to the trail in one day, but I can't seem to find a way to get there until after dark. Sunset is around 7 pm in March after setting clocks ahead on March 8th. Right now my plan is to get as far as El Cajon on Monday the 16th and then take the bus to Campo on Tuesday the 17th around 10:00 am. It looks like there are a couple of cheap hotels near the El Cajon transit station.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    Your correct that S&F closing down is what I was referring to.

I've been trying to figure out how get to the trail in one day, but I can't seem to find a way to get there until after dark. Sunset is around 7 pm in March after setting clocks ahead on March 8th. Right now my plan is to get as far as El Cajon on Monday the 16th and then take the bus to Campo on Tuesday the 17th around 10:00 am. It looks like there are a couple of cheap hotels near the El Cajon transit station.
    Sounds like a plan. My original flight got into SD later, and I was going to do the same thing, then I found an earlier flight on SW (no change fee).

There is allegedly a place to camp in, er, Campo, behind the store, or some place like that, if you want to save the El Cajon hotel expense.

Never mind.
    Must be the meds.
    Wayne
    Last edited by Venchka; 11-26-2019 at 18:28.

Woo Hoo! My Permit for the second section has been issued. I'll be starting at Campo March 17th and hiking as far as Kennedy Meadows by the end of April. 702 miles.

Images

Nanatuk,
    PCT section hiker here. I flew from Boston to San Diego, took the bus and got to Campo all in one day. It can be done. It was late afternoon when I got there, and I wanted a sunrise start at the monument, so I camped behind the museum in Campo. It was actually a very nice spot. Some trees, a picnic table. Border patrol did come through there once or twice, but they were not interested in me.
    If I remember right the museum had a water hose, but celebratory drinks are also available at the little store nearby. I got up early and hiked in the dark the few miles to the southern terminus to enjoy the sunrise.

As others have said there is no need to push to Lake Morena on Day one. I did, but I did not feel there was any advantage to it.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    As others have said there is no need to push to Lake Morena on Day one. I did, but I did not feel there was any advantage to it.
    Thanks, Yeah seems a bit much for the first day. If my transportation works out and I don't miss any connections, I'll do the same as you did and camp behind the Museum. If not I'll get to Campo on my step-off day. Either way I think the farthest I plan to hike on day one is Hauser Creek. No point in pushing it. 4 weeks to go!!

Got as far as Warner springs before I decided to wait out the hysteria. I guess its good I got thru the SC agencies that require permits. I can go back and tackle any or all of the miles to KM without having to get a new permit.

Well I never got back to SoCal this year, but I did finish the PCT in Washington State from the border to Snoqualmie Pass. I've updated trailjournal.com for those interested.

Strange year, I touched the southern monument, touched the northern monument and hiked about 400 miles but Still less than half of the trail complete. I am starting to plan a return to SoCal next year to finish 650 miles from Warner Springs to Cottonwood Pass.

Journal Entries
    Images

It sounds like a typical PCT thru-attempt, I did the same on 2016, touched the N terminus on 7/1, ran into a fire in Ashland, OR. hitched around it, hiked down to Tehachapi to knock out the Sierra's, hitched back up to Echo Lake, got caught in heavy snow near Donner Pass (2 friends had to be rescued by SAR), rented a car back down the Tehachapi & hiked to the southern terminus. Things have to lined up to hike the PCT e to e
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Anyone planning to thru hike or do a long section on the PCT in '21? I know the indecision on the PCTA issuing long distance permits is hanging out there, but there is always the option of handling the required permits on an individual basis.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    Anyone planning to thru hike or do a long section on the PCT in '21? I know the indecision on the PCTA issuing long distance permits is hanging out there, but there is always the option of handling the required permits on an individual basis.
    section hiking you would do your permits through recreation.gov anyway. if I'm doing any thing next year it's only 60 miles.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

If your not hiking through any NP, you may be able to get permits as you travel. Just research your route and find out who the administrative agency is. I hiked half of Washington last year and I only had to get a backcountry permit once and it was available at a trail head. I did go into one NP. Northern Cascades NP, but no permit required You just cant camp inside the park. I camped at the northern edge and walked 20+ miles through the park to the other side.

I'm planning another long section next spring in SoCal. I'll apply for a PCT permit if they are issuing them. If they are not, I'll hike the sections where I can legally hike with a trailhead permit or were no permit is required. From my research so far I believe most of my planned route does not require a permit. (Some parks are only open for day use right now but hopefully that will change by spring.)
    Last edited by Nanatuk; 11-15-2020 at 16:17.

Thinking about finishing 375 miles of the desert and touching the Sierra into Cottonwood Pass. I would need a permit likely for the Golden Trout Wilderness from Kennedy Mdws to Cottonwood Pass. I then have from Sierra City north to the border. It looks like the central Oregon permit might get implemented this year, I hope they put it off again, as the quotas are not very plentiful. Then the Northern Cascades looks pretty easy to get. If the PCTA issues long distance permits, I would probably try to snag one for the Sierra City to Manning Park stretch.

Not certain if I am going, but the itch keeps getting stronger. I did about 700 miles this year, but started too fast and messed up my feet. I also didn't take the mental aspect as seriously as I should have. I know better on each of these.

Thinking about finishing 375 miles of the desert and touching the Sierra into Cottonwood Pass. I would need a permit likely for the Golden Trout Wilderness from Kennedy Mdws to Cottonwood Pass.
    I haven't confirmed it yet, but I've been told you can get a wilderness permit at the trailhead leaving northbound from Kennedy Meadows. My 2021 plan is to exit at Cottonwood as well.

Images

I was and still might if the generic "golden ticket" PCTA permit thing sorts out I'd like to repeat KM northbound to as far as time permits, perhaps up to CA/OR border. But who knows.

But to keep it simpler, I'm kinda leaning towards just hitting the CDT instead doing the MX/NM border to the CO trail/CDT junction in southern CO. I forget the total miles involved, something like 800, a worthy hike and probably every bit as cool as most of the PCT. One still needs a generic New Mexico "recreational access permit" for the CDT in NM, but I worry they might not issue those this next spring.

It goes w/o saying this all depends on Covid restrictions.

I tried to hike the PCT in 2020 and even had a permit, but then they closed sections and the PCTA gave hiking a bad rap. I was hoping to do it in 2021, but it looks like the same is going to happen and this time no permits. One thing being kicked around in the Facebook groups is the amount of trail closures due to fires, so there is that, too.

It all seems like more trouble than it's worth. I did the much shorter Colorado Trail this year, and in 2021 I'm heading to the Arizona Trail instead.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Yes, definitely do it in sections. I hiked SOBO in WA Section K in Aug-Sept and passed 300-400 thru hikers. The majority were jaded and negative at that point (many just had their head down and didn't want to talk to anyone). A few, often the older hikers, were friendly; I asked one if he would do it again and he just said "probably not". Others said that they had got what they wanted out of it but 'there was just no way that they were stopping', one said it was sort of like being in jail, trapped, unable to leave even though you don't want to be there.

The happiest 'thru hikers' that I met said that they took a lot of long breaks (weeks if not months).... which makes them in reality ... wait for it..... section hikers.

There are those who do it right, but IMO most thru hikes are social, emotional, and ethical disasters. The thrill is gone about half way thru. Then after you finish you find out that nobody really cares about your "bragging rights". Be honest with yourself, dudes, don't live a lie. Get off the trail until you ethically deserve to be there again...
    Lots of truth here. I've done long sections of the AT & PCT and since I never had a commitment to do "the entire thing" I never felt the oppression that many feel by being trapped by their goal.

I'm inching up on retirement and I'll still have commitments with kids and stuff that even if I wanted to spend 6-months out on the trail, would be a challenge to manage. Two or three months on the trail are a blast though and when I'm done I feel pretty good about getting off the trail and back into life.

If I have my health (better shape now than I have been in 30+ years) I expect to spend a couple months out every year hiking somewhere on this planet. I doubt I'll ever do an entire long-trail in one whack because that just isn't on my bucket list.

OK third year, third leg, third trailname. I'm starting March 13th at the Mexican border and now hiking to Cottonwood pass at mile 750 and hiking out to Lone Pine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++