Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

To me, mail drop = boat anchor. No thanks! That being said, hike your own hike....
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

** I relied on wild edibles like violet greens and chickweed and wild mustard etc to supplement my diet for free.
    ** I was never hesitant to dumpster dive for food when the opportunity presented itself.
    Well fortunately my friend and I excelled at dumpster diving all through college!

And thanks for the tips everyone - leaning toward local resupply so I don't end up on waiting on anything. Where are the few places you think you do need a mail drop?

Images

Remember when you buy in bulk for a 6 month hike.....75% of all thruhikers have to quit for one reason or another. So you will be eating this bulk food at home if you have to get off.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Remember when you buy in bulk for a 6 month hike.....75% of all thruhikers have to quit for one reason or another. So you will be eating this bulk food at home if you have to get off.
    And don't forget the high level of BOREDOM you will achieve with these foods---possibly. Meaning---You buy 6 months worth of food YOU THINK you'll eat and enjoy but after a month you can't stand most of it. It happens.

This is the beauty of buying food as you hike---you can make daily choices based on your palate and not some spreadsheet.

The weird thing about backpacking food is this---almost everything gets boring. Over the years I've reached high levels of disgust with Larabars, Clif bars (of course), pro bars, loaves of bread, rice cakes, certainly ramen etc---although my craving love of Oatmeal still remains.

It's always nice to hit a store along the trail because you just never know what jewels they'll have---and it's great returning to the trail with a pack full of neato items like a couple bananas or a couple fresh red apples or oranges---or a couple cans of salted mixed nuts etc.

Journal Entries

I am with Tipi on this. Those ("protein Bars) taste like cardboard after a month or two. Tasted a rice cake one time and spit it out. Had to brush my teeth to get the crap taste out of my mouth. I used trail mix with plenty of nuts, raisins and M&Ms'. I do dehydrate my jerky. The butcher at my local Kroger's slices it nice this for my for no extra charges.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's always nice to hit a store along the trail because you just never know what jewels they'll have---
    Like Moon Pies! I mean, who knew??
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Like Moon Pies! I mean, who knew??
    I LOVE Moon Pies.

We have a Moon Pie store here in Mobile. Moon Pies are the favorite thing thrown at our Mardi Gras parades and the city even has a "Moon Pie Drop" on New Year's Eve!

Having said that, I have never taken any on a hike, but I will be sure to on our next one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

great info. folks.

I am starting my 5 year plan to hike thru. Retirement then a short jaunt North when permissible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++