WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone have any experience with dogs on TRT?

Looks like plans to redo CT are shot...not enough time so thinking TRT will have to do mid late September...after having issues with my pup in Co I’m probably not going to bring but am curious others input as I can go lil slower pace this time..ie under 20 mpd. Ground conditions vs Co??? Segment 2 on CT cut up his pads last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Salty, I have said this many times on here, Training for the dog, Training for the owner and constant control of your dog (ie kept on a lease at all times especially when people are eating or you meet someone on the trail). The training should be basic verbal commands along with hand signals. You should be checking his foot pads every time you stop for a break and look for ticks once a day. After training, see your vet for items that should be in his first aide kit. Good luck.
    Blackheart

Also, doggie boots to protect the dog's feet

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Salty, I have said this many times on here, Training for the dog, Training for the owner and constant control of your dog (ie kept on a lease at all times especially when people are eating or you meet someone on the trail). The training should be basic verbal commands along with hand signals. You should be checking his foot pads every time you stop for a break and look for ticks once a day. After training, see your vet for items that should be in his first aide kit. Good luck.
    I agree...my pup has done great on AT...but had issues out west... I avoid shelters normally and avoid busy times of year...leashed around others. Plan to use booties from dogbooties.com if he will tolerate them if not he will stay home....

Ticks are pretty much done at this point. After July 1st I quit worrying about them...never found any after that point, except in wet climates which we don't have except the PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Longfan View Post
    Also, doggie boots to protect the dog's feet
    Used to laugh at the thought but after issues in Co plan to try them out

++ New Posts ++