WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Crumbs suck!
    Its hard to eat crumbs with your fingers without making a huge mess. (spoon anyone?) (Or just stick your head in the ziplock and eat like a horse?)
    There is quite a texture difference between eating chips and eating crumbs.
    There's no taste difference between tiny bits of chips and whole chips. I use my long handled spoon to get the "crumbs".

But realistically speaking, smashed up chips in a ziploc usually stay about Quarter-coin size---no problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    There's no taste difference between tiny bits of chips and whole chips.
    I'm not disagreeing with you...but texture is and always will be a component of a person's decision whether or not they like to eat something.
    If you can stand the texture difference between chip crumbs and whole chips, good for you...I cannot!

...In all seriousness, Pringles are the ideal "chip" for backpacking.
    The small plastic cups are the way to go. It can be reused as a trickling water source scoop.
    Stacking in the pot is a good idea too.
    I can never eat just one at a time, usually 2-3 per handful!

NOT on all counts. A flour slurry dough like substance of rice, GMO wheat, GMO corn, and potato flakes put through an extruder/stamper with exceptionally high(well above legal limits by 30 or more times) levels of carcinogenic acrylamide is far from ideal for backpacking or at any other time. Pringleoids contain so little actually potato they can't even legally be called potato chips. Might as well eat some mixed cheap highly refined highly processed flours with much of any real nutritional goodness that may have been present in the original unrefined grain removed. But dont forget to add the acrylamide to which Pringleoids, Fritosoieds, other "chips" - baked or fried, french fries, bakery products(donuts), coffee, and TOBACCO smoke are major culprits. One of the carcinogens the tobacco industry was found to be hiding the health risks of to the public was acrylamide. Mickey Dees received a bad rep for the acrylamide in their fries which were 300X the legal limit of this carcinogen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    NOT on all counts. A flour slurry dough like substance of rice, GMO wheat, GMO corn, and potato flakes put through an extruder/stamper with exceptionally high(well above legal limits by 30 or more times) levels of carcinogenic acrylamide is far from ideal for backpacking or at any other time. Pringleoids contain so little actually potato they can't even legally be called potato chips. Might as well eat some mixed cheap highly refined highly processed flours with much of any real nutritional goodness that may have been present in the original unrefined grain removed. But dont forget to add the acrylamide to which Pringleoids, Fritosoieds, other "chips" - baked or fried, french fries, bakery products(donuts), coffee, and TOBACCO smoke are major culprits. One of the carcinogens the tobacco industry was found to be hiding the health risks of to the public was acrylamide. Mickey Dees received a bad rep for the acrylamide in their fries which were 300X the legal limit of this carcinogen.
    I choose to not care.

My favorite chips right now are Terra brand Mediterranean Garlic and Herbs. Had some on my last backpacking trip. Love the texture of the parsnips!

How much worse would world hunger be without GMO?

FWIW, the posted article is from the UK. What we call chips are what they call crisps. So if they call a Pringles a chip, then it isn't a chip.

sooo if they call Pringles chips, that makes it a French fry? What?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Tipi beat me to it....crush em all up so your not disappointed when you pull them out to eat em, they will taste the same lol
    I would combine them with my crushed Pop Tarts, which also fail to remain intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I would combine them with my crushed Pop Tarts, which also fail to remain intact.
    It's always fun trying to keep a tomato or a couple bananas intact the first couple days of a backpacking trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    There's no taste difference between tiny bits of chips and whole chips. I use my long handled spoon to get the "crumbs".

But realistically speaking, smashed up chips in a ziploc usually stay about Quarter-coin size---no problemo.
    I agree, but sometimes I want to feel civilized

Journal Entries

Crumbs suck!
    Its hard to eat crumbs with your fingers without making a huge mess. (spoon anyone?) (Or just stick your head in the ziplock and eat like a horse?)
    There is quite a texture difference between eating chips and eating crumbs.
    My fritos crumbs work great in my chili...actually break them up on purpose

the only correct answer

I choose to not care.

My favorite chips right now are Terra brand Mediterranean Garlic and Herbs. Had some on my last backpacking trip. Love the texture of the parsnips!

How much worse would world hunger be without GMO?
    Common for Americans not caring about or unwilling to proactively address disease until it's visited individually upon their doorstep. It's the exact reason why I'll be responsible for my own healthcare costs and why I will NOT pay your healthcare costs through Gov't mandated socialized medicine. If you want to die "tastefully" don't expect me to pay for your suicide by food.

How much less would world hunger be if gluttonous mass consumptive cultures like the U.S. didn't waste 40% of it's food supply? Are you willing to consume less to a reasonable degree so others will not starve?
    How much less would world hunger be if those who needed it the most, those truly starving, had it distributed to them from the more than necessary enough global food production that already exists?

Good grief.....

This thread took a turn...

Here are the numbers, full size vs small cups.

Regular size weighs
    7.3 oz full
    1.6 oz empty
    5.6 oz contents

Small plastic cups
    1 oz full
    .3 oz empty
    .7 oz contents

8 small cups are needed for same amount of Pringles as one full size. One big container is 1.6 oz vs 2.4 oz of 8 plastic empty cups.

One regular container is as tall as 4.5 small cups. So 8 cups would be almost twice as big as one big cardboard container.

So one big cardboard Pringles is lighter and smaller than equivalent of small individual plastic cups. Other than being able to stack when empty in a trash bag big cardboard is more efficient and also cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you! That is excellent information. I always pack Fritos but might try switching to Pringles. The can would make a good trash container...dirty underwear holder...make-shift musical instrument(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Thank you! That is excellent information. I always pack Fritos but might try switching to Pringles. The can would make a good trash container...dirty underwear holder...make-shift musical instrument(?)
    Just doing what I can for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post

I appreciate your contribution. It’s the most pertinent, hiking-related info that I’ve read in quite some time.
    I have difficulty eating on multi-day hikes and find that potato chips are the most palatable item in my food bag.

After closely scrutinizing your data, I realize that for hikes less than 8 days, the plastic container is lighter in the long run, (assuming that the hiker consumes one, container-full per day.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post

I appreciate your contribution. It’s the most pertinent, hiking-related info that I’ve read in quite some time.
    I have difficulty eating on multi-day hikes and find that potato chips are the most palatable item in my food bag.

After closely scrutinizing your data, I realize that for hikes less than 8 days, the plastic container is lighter in the long run, (assuming that the hiker consumes one, container-full per day.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++