WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

:banana 2019 AT SPEED HIKE – Crew Person Needed

July & August 2019
    -Goal is <60 days
    -Must have a sense of direction
    -Must like the outdoors
    -Must like a challenge
    Please PM, if interested. Thank you

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Strict View Post
    July & August 2019
    -Goal is <60 days
    -Must have a sense of direction
    -Must like the outdoors
    -Must like a challenge
    Please PM, if interested. Thank you
    if you have a question, please ask. thankx

Images

Who is doing the speed hike?
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post

Feels like it’s Mr. Strict’s hike.

I was going to let it go; but yar... if'n your looking for crew might want to share a little bit with folks on whom they are actually crewing for and why.
    While it's possible you might find some woods loving drifter of sorts to join an adventure for 3 squares and a bunk- if you are actually serious and want some quality help 'Mr. Strict' the unknown 53 year old isn't really going to interest anyone.

You paying money or looking for a sucker to volunteer their time in exchange for the experience?
    If the former- money talks.
    If the latter- who you are and what experience you may have to pass on would be helpful to know. Otherwise anyone free to volunteer is free to simply go on their own hike.

-

if you are paying - this could fall under a "commercial venture" definition for the payer and payee and require a special use permit by the NPS (and apparently Baxter) - which usually are not given for something like this

this language has long been in place but has recently been used (enforced by rangers) in association coming down on hiker feeds/ trail magic that solicit/ accept donations or reimbursement

Maybe someone could call Miller Beer and have them pay for the "speed hike record challenge". Pay the "supporting crew' person for driving the van, taking the "speed hiker" to hotels after long-grueling days running on the AT and then the "support person" make a movie about it all because hey everyone is deeply interested in another AT "speed hike". But HYWH I guess, just don't do around me.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

What’s HYWH again?!? Hike Your Worst Hike?!? Hike Your Wimpy Hike?!? Hike Your Whittle Hike?!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Mr. Strict will be the hiker. I am not a professional ultra-runner and will not have sponsors or advertising.

98% of the planning is complete. GPS coordinates imported for crew access points and a spreadsheet to track the progress, in real time. Expenses will be paid but not compensation. Keep the AT safe from commercialization and unnecessary impact. I have friends that will crew parts but they work etc. It seems that 2 weeks per crew person is workable. The crew is very important. The only thing that is offered here is the challenge of seeing what can be done.

I prefer endurance hiking with slack pack. Have done about 50% of the AT and many 30+ mile days. “There is no way to know until it is attempted”.

Thanks for the questions. Strict

I'm struggling to see the appeal for a crew member in this scenario. It's one thing for a true record attempt, but this seems like a personal adventure. Just IMHO.

The current A.T. record for fastest hike is held by Joe McConaughy who did the trail unsupported!

What's the point of a supported speed hike now?
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post
    The current A.T. record for fastest hike is held by Joe McConaughy who did the trail unsupported!
    That changed about two hours ago.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post

What's the point of a supported speed hike now?
    You might want to hit the What's New button.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Dudes joe still has the unsupported record. Karel now has the supported overall. Still must be a personal record slash bragging rights thing for The Strictness

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Dudes joe still has the unsupported record. Karel now has the supported overall.
    I don't think anybody was confused about that?

The OP doesn't say he wants to set a record, just that he wants to do it in less then 60 days. ~40 miles a day, still fairly ambisous by any standards. I definitely would want to have someone to run all the errands, set up camp, cook food and what not.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Big risk to recruit in an online chat room, but sounds kind of like he doesn’t mind the anonymity of the internet

How’d this one turn out, Mr Strict?

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    How’d this one turn out, Mr Strict?
    It was going well until his free laborers didn't show up to make him a hearty trail breakfast, causing him to quit. Joking... but I also wouldn't mind knowing if he found anyone that actually wanted to show up on forest service roads to help a random person go for a walk.

++ New Posts ++