WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default car camping in the whites

Long timer lurker, first time poster.

I’m looking for a secluded car camping spot in the White Mountains. I’ve done a bit of googling, and read that Haystack Road and Cherry Mountain Road had an number of back country sites. But then I spoke to a ranger and they said there was a big problem with squatters on those sites and “substance abuse.” He offered information on the AMC campgrounds and shelters, but that’s not really what I’m looking for. I thought I might check in here and see if yall could help.

I’ll be traveling with my girlfriend and dog on a New England road trip. We were planning on camping in the Whites for one night. I was hoping to get something that was off of a lightly traveled road, so I’m not nervous about letting the dog loose (he comes on command and tends to stay within sight of us, but being close to a highway would make me nervous none the less.) I was also looking for something that had little to no hike in. It doesn’t have to be the most beautiful site – really any patch of flat ground off of a quiet road would suffice. I know there are all sorts of these sites scattered across the park, but I can’t find details on locations online for the life of me. Usually I’d just wing it, but as I have the lady with me, I’d rather have a few confirmed options in case we end up coming in late or it’s raining. I’d prefer a spot in the central or western area of the park, but I’d take suggestion for anywhere really. Thanks!

Images

ArvinSmee,

What the Ranger said may be true, but the sites are often well apart from each other, so if you can find an empty one I would take it. In addition to Cherry Mountain road check out the Jefferson Notch road, there are some nice stream side campsites. Your best chance at grabbing a site is midweek, slim pickings on the weekend.

If you would like something a bit more regulated there is pay per car camping along the Tripoli Road out of Woodstock. Some sites are closer together here, but it is still very nice. Again, you would have a better shot at getting a spot midweek than on a nice weekend.

One night in the Whites is not enough. I would stay and enjoy myself here.
    Last edited by imscotty; 07-30-2018 at 18:14.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Haystack road and Cherry Mountain road are the only two legal side of the road camping (actually, you'll have to sleep in the car, these places are little more then small pull offs). These are also very narrow, rough gravel roads, hell on sedans and not the easiest roads to find if your not familiar with the area. Cherry Mountain road is a skimobile trail in the winter. It is not legal to overnight at trail head parking lots, which are mostly on well traveled roads anyway.

The state runs a number of campgrounds which are pretty quiet (and some which are booked solid all summer) Some of the Forest Service campgrounds are tucked away where few find them. These exist for your convivence and enjoyment. You should use them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the info! Jefferson Notch looks real nice. We plan to arrive on Thursday, so I expect it'll be on the (relatively) quieter side.

I'd really like to stick around longer, but we're trying to pack in a lot in one week between Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. We'll have most of Friday for a day hike, so there's that.

Sadly, the only other time I've spent in the Whites was doing the Presi Traverse (in one day). I've always wanted to come back for a longer stay but it's not easy getting there from DC.

Looks like I'm not a first time poster - guess I just forgot I posted before. How do you edit posts on here?

Slo-go'en - I have a Jeep 4x4 with all terrain tires, so I should be at least somewhat prepared for rough roads. I'm a backpacker at heart and really hate camping in earshot of other people. I can't remember the last time I car camped. I was hoping I could get the best of both worlds. I know plenty of decent car camping spots in the parks in my area, I figured there might be some in the Whites too.

Images

One week to see NH, VT, and Maine sounds like all driving and not enough relaxing to me, but enjoy yourself.

PS: The Gale River Loop Road also has several sites. You might want to check that out first since it is on your way up.
    Last edited by imscotty; 07-30-2018 at 18:28.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Yes there are some issues with the free car camping spots. Cherry Mountain road tends to be the biggest party spot. Gale River Loop Road and North Twin road seems to be less of an issue. There are also some stream side sites along Town Hall road in Bartlett (FR 17). There are only a five or six semi sort of legal camping spots on the north end of Jefferson Notch road . The reason they are "sort of legal" is that they are not signed as campsites but seem to be accepted. Some spots to the south of Caps Ridge are signed no camping. The official rules are that if you are on WMNF land you legally can not camp within 1/4 of mile of the road (if not farther) unless it is signed. Generally avoid parking in trail head lots as most are patrolled. Some folks head up on Success Pond road in Berlin and just pull off a side road, its private land and legally no camping but some folks do it anyhow.

Be aware there are no sanitary facilities at these sites and many folks are clueless about proper waste disposal. If your dog is the type that likes to roll around in "cr*p" there is plenty of it just a few steps in the woods.

Journal Entries
    Images

On the southern edge of the WMNF there is roadside camping along Tripoli road:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whit...a/?recid=74753

These are pay sites along a woods road (Edit: paved or dirt not sure but iin good shape, closed in winter), so they may not be exactly what you are looking for, but are more dispersed than what you find at a nice car campground.

If interested, the area is well known enough that you should be able to find photos and other info on line.
    Last edited by rickb; 07-30-2018 at 19:47.

Images

Rick B's suggestion is a good one. If I remember right it starts paved, turns to dirt, paved again on the other side of the notch. There are some stream side sites along here, I bet those go first. Area has a ranger post by the gate as you head in, every time I've seen it though it seems to be unmanned. I believe there are payment envelopes and a slot to put the payment in at the gate.

John Greenleaf Whittier

FYI, there are few if any old roads you can drive up in the whites. Due to the prevalence of 4WD vehicles and owners who want to try them out, the FS is pretty good at either gating in these roads or blocking them with boulders.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Since we’re coming from the NW, I’m thinking I’ll shoot for Gale River Loop or Haystack Road with Tripoli as a back up. If the weather is looking particularly bad, we'll just head to one of the more developed sites.

Peakbagger – we actually just bought the Jeep Cherokee (one of the older ones – 2001) a few weeks ago. My previous vehicle was a 92 Volvo station wagon, which was not the best on dirt roads. As we’ll have a fully loaded car with a canoe on top, I’m not looking to do any off roading. It’s going to be nice to drive on a steep gravel road with some semblance of confidence though. I get the impression the off roading opportunities are more numerous in the south and west. Maybe next summer

Well, just keep in mind these sites access 4000 footer trail heads and the number of people doing 4000 footers is out of control. Therefore, these sites are prime real estate for peak baggers. Season or day of week doesn't matter. There are only a hand full of sites between the two roads. Have a back up plan if you arrive and all the sites are taken.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

meant to come back to this thread before, but never got around to it. we ended up getting into the area on the late side and camping on tripoli road at one of the sites on the creek (which is gorgeous!). we didn't see much traffic on the road, but someone did camp two sites over from us. that was fine though, we could just barely make their tent out through the trees and the creek drowned out any noise they made. the site was nice if super impacted. it's obvious that huge groups of people come down here and use it as a place to party. i can't imagine what the area is like when all these sites are occupied with drunk college kids. thanks all for the recommendations though - it was super helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by ArvinSmee View Post
    meant to come back to this thread before, but never got around to it. we ended up getting into the area on the late side and camping on tripoli road at one of the sites on the creek (which is gorgeous!). we didn't see much traffic on the road, but someone did camp two sites over from us. that was fine though, we could just barely make their tent out through the trees and the creek drowned out any noise they made. the site was nice if super impacted. it's obvious that huge groups of people come down here and use it as a place to party. i can't imagine what the area is like when all these sites are occupied with drunk college kids. thanks all for the recommendations though - it was super helpful!
    Thanks for reporting back about your car camping experience on Tripoli road - glad you had a good time!

++ New Posts ++