WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

I also do not camp at water, nor do I eat where I camp, after a few seasons in grizz country. My morning routine takes about ten minutes from eyes open to walking. I stop for breakfast after an hour or two of walking. And I stop every hour or two during the day mainly to eat something. I do that until I don't feel like walking any more. Then I find a good place to secure my food, lie down and sleep.

Thanks to you all.

Very interesting. My biggest fear is not to do enough. I'm very newbie at hiking, out of shape and not fast on the trails.
    I have that calling for LD hiking but not sure how to get started....

I live in Montreal, Canada.

Any suggestions of intermediate LD trails?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YUL-AMB View Post
    Thanks to you all.

Very interesting. My biggest fear is not to do enough. I'm very newbie at hiking, out of shape and not fast on the trails.

Theres no right way, or wrong way.
    Do what works for you.

If you want to complete a 2000+ mile trail in 6 mo, obviously it imposes constraints on what you HAVE to do.

But if you want to complete it in 2 yrs, it becomes less so.

I met a 73 yr old woman in Shenandoah one Oct. She started in Ga.that spring. She only averaged 5 mpd. Carried heavy pack too. But it worked for her. She had another slow hiker, really overweight guy, that she knew hiking about same pace.

No, she wasnt going to finish in 1 season. Thats OK, the point was to be HIKING. Not finishing something.

Get gear and just start going on short hikes. You might love it, many find the idea better than the reality.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-29-2018 at 10:27.

Thanks to you all.

As MuddyWaters alluded to: if you do not have time restraints, then just go out and enjoy it. I know this is a broad over-generalization but when I began hiking in the 60's, the folks I met on the AT and other trails all seemed to be "in the woods" to enjoy nature and the experience. Today, it is as if most hikers are on a mission: "I have to get in 15-20 miles a day....my base weight must be under 12lbs".....etc. If that works for them and it brings meaning to their lives, GREAT!!! I am happy for them. But that is NOT the only way to do it. It is perfectly acceptable to take your time and actually enjoy your surroundings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking 2 or 3 years to complete a thru. Tons of people section hike it 2-3 nights at a time.

It is your decision, so forget what others are doing and find what brings you the most joy!!!
    Last edited by DownYonder; 07-29-2018 at 11:49.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks to you all.
    I live in Montreal, CanadaAny suggestions of intermediate LD trails?

Come down into Pennsylvania. We have our share of the AT and the North Country Trail plus many others.

Laurel Highlands Trail, Tuscarora Trail, Mid State Trail, Black Forest Trail, etc.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I know this is a broad over-generalization but when I began hiking in the 60's, the folks I met on the AT and other trails all seemed to be "in the woods" to enjoy nature and the experience. Today, it is as if most hikers are on a mission: "I have to get in 15-20 miles a day....my base weight must be under 12lbs".....etc. If that works for them and it brings meaning to their lives, GREAT!!! I am happy for them. But that is NOT the only way to do it.
    This ....mentality....is reflective of our fast paced society overall. Everything has to be done fast, because , because we have little free time. Vacations arent relaxing vacations, they are stressful activities, executed quickly because time=money, and vacation time is a limited resource that shouldnt be wasted.

Posts are very common here where a person wants to hike X, but only has Y days to do it in. Many set themselves up for failure, but even if dont, its a hurried, stressful , hike to complete in allotted time.

The ironic part, is we have the technology and automation to work less than any people that ever lived, to provde for our basic needs, and have maximum leisure time. But we do the opposite, work harder than ever, to buy mostly chinese made crap that we dont really need. Both spouses work, quality of family life is at all time low, etc.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-30-2018 at 03:43.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I know this is a broad over-generalization but when I began hiking in the 60's, the folks I met on the AT and other trails all seemed to be "in the woods" to enjoy nature and the experience. Today, it is as if most hikers are on a mission: "I have to get in 15-20 miles a day....my base weight must be under 12lbs".....etc.
    Seems to me that despite the lower pack weights and better support systems of today, AT thru hikes have (on average) become longer over the years. Significantly longer.

I would also suggest that the push to make miles has always been central to the hikes. Perhaps more so back in the day when late winter starts, extended zeros, slackpacking and yellow blazing were not really considered options.

As far as enjoying nature, who is to say whether that is best done while sitting on your ass for hours on end, or becoming part of it while walking.

That said, I whole heartedly agree with your larger point about there being many ways to approach a hike — all good. And all so about enjoying nature.

Images

I live in Montreal, Canada. Any suggestions of intermediate LD trails?
    Long Trail in Vermont. Northern Terminus is 2 hours drive from Montreal.
    It's all good in the woods.

Average day ( Not all days)
    walking by 8am, first eating at 9-10am.
    second eating about 3-4pm
    16-20 miles average
    done by dark.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

After browsing everyone's answers, all I can think of is "that is a good life"!! So I don't repeat most people, I'll say this. My trip buddy was very concerned about getting to our destination WELL before dark and so we often had a LOT of dead time at the end of our hike each day with the sun still in the sky. This killed me, but comforted her. It's all preference, but I just like using the daylight as my guide. That's when you work, and dark is when you rest.

I have not yet had the opportunity to do a long distance hike where the time taken to get to the destination is irrelevant. But when I do, I like to think that I would be a "through" hiker, in that for the whole hike, and also for each day, I would hike until I am through. But as I seem to enjoy hiking more than sitting around, I probably would continue with the same type of "hike all day" schedule. But on the other hand, after a few weeks, that could change. The advantage of being a "through" hiker, is you can do whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have not yet had the opportunity to do a long distance hike where the time taken to get to the destination is irrelevant. But when I do, I like to think that I would be a "through" hiker, in that for the whole hike, and also for each day, I would hike until I am through. But as I seem to enjoy hiking more than sitting around, I probably would continue with the same type of "hike all day" schedule. But on the other hand, after a few weeks, that could change. The advantage of being a "through" hiker, is you can do whatever you want.
    I am a section hiker, I do what I want?

If a thru hiker does what he wants, and what he wants is to not walk then he will not be a thru hiker. Thru hikers walk, just like everyone else. Seems to be a lot of comparisons between thru hikers vs everyone else these days.

Journal Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    well I'll start by saying I'm much slower then most other thru hikers, it's become an extreme rarity for me to pass anybody (except maybe an old lady or family with there kids). At this point most people pass me and I don't see them again but there's still a few familiar faces at a similar pace. I'm in no rush though, just want to get to Baxter before it closes. Did the math and if I get back on trail Wednesday after a few days home I still need less then a 10mpd average to end by oct. 10th (think Baxter is 22nd weather depending?)

I'm averaging 10-15 mpd, I start super early trying to start hiking when I just don't need my headlamp anymore. I take small breaks all day with a few big ones, at least every couple miles taking a small one. Anytime I'm hungry I stop and eat, I don't play games with food. I like to stop by 4-6 but like I said I have a no rush, enjoy myself pace. Taking time to see every view/waterfall ect. I can, airing out my feet/socks/shoes a few times a day and just taking it easy and trying to take it all in.

From what I've seen this is unlike and much slower then what most thru hikers do but hey, HYOH and know that you don't need to push for those 20 mile days if you don't want to, I haven't had one. Had a couple 18's but I don't think I'll do one much over 15 again before finishing. Finish too early and you miss the beautiful fall colors of New England
    You sound like me hiking! I am a a snail by design. You are the first one I've heard that has my exact same philosophy. How refreshing. Not hijacking the thread. Just wanted to share my relief that there's someone else out there like me.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

I've found I am so walk - hike crazy.
    I just keep moving about all day.

Very short break for lunch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++