WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Ford Conditions 100 Mile Wilderness

Hello,

Does anyone know the current fording conditions from Monson to Wilson Valley Lean To?

Thanks

Contact Wendy at the Monson Appalachian Trail Visitor Center;
    They get reports from the trail runners and AT hikers.
    (207) 573-0163
    Facebook:
    Monson Appalachian Trail Visitor Center
    I'll see what I can find out from the SoBo group.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Things have been very dry here so usual knee-thigh fords May be ankle deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Things have been very dry here so usual knee-thigh fords May be ankle deep.
    Recent rain might have changed that. Today I did trail work on a trail which crossed a stream 5 times and got my feet wet rock hopping at each crossing. The stream was nearly dry two weeks ago.

The actual levels will vary greatly day to day based on how much it rained in the last few days. After a dry beginning to the summer, it seems to be getting much wetter for the end of it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

They've been having severe t-storms and flash flood warnings all day per NWS Gray. A great Twitter follow @NWSGray.

From Monson tonight: "At the Monson Appalachian Trail Visitor Center, we use the USGS gauge at the Piscataquis River in Blanchard (a few miles south of Monson) as an indicator of what the fording conditions are likely to be in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. On July 26, the gauge hit a low of just over 20 cfs. Currently the gauge is at 169 cfs and rising after the recent downpour. The river is considered fordable up to 200 cfs. So it is approaching the limit of what is considered fordable, and still rising."
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Thanks folks! I've got a message into the Monson Visitor Center, much appreciated!

7/29 abt. 9AM from Monson:
    The Piscataquis River in Blanchard is at 223 cfs this morning.(we expect fording to be difficult above 200 cfs), but the water does not appear to be rising further. Fords in the Hundred Mile Wilderness are likely to be challenging this morning. However, the current prediction is for three days without further rain, so water levels should come down soon.
    Teej

++ New Posts ++