WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Welp, guess that means I can't finish section hiking the AT for at least another 5 years if want my kids to climb big K with me. Good thing I still have a little over half the trail go to...
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Not in particular. There's recently been 3 babes in backpack carriers that I know of in the 100, and this applies to car campers too. It's been an increasing trend.
    That family isn't in the Whites yet, as far as I know.
    This blogger saw them in NH "a few days ago" according to a July 23 post. https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...anconia-ridge/

They might relish being prevented from climbing Katahdin. It would be good for their story line.

So, the thru-hiking family of 8 won't be able to set their record? That is a crying shame There should be an exception made for them as it was for the "Backpacking Bobby" a few years back....they deserve it to be able to have the record!
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

-

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    So, the thru-hiking family of 8 won't be able to set their record? That is a crying shame There should be an exception made for them as it was for the "Backpacking Bobby" a few years back....they deserve it to be able to have the record!
    no one "deserves" a record - but as I stated i a previous post, they have demonstrated more ability then many that baxter deems "worthy"

I don't really think "records" are deserved, they are just attained.

When my daughter was born i couldn’t wait for her to turn 6 to climb Mt. K with me. She’s now 13 and I am planning her first climb up this summer. Having climbed it many times in various weather conditions and knowing her ability- she wasn’t ready until now. Plus now she wants it . There is a trend among modern parents to want super achieving kids. Yes,kids can be quite resilient and capable. Overall it’s a reasonable rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes the mountain comes to Mohamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    When my daughter was born i couldn’t wait for her to turn 6 to climb Mt. K with me. She’s now 13 and I am planning her first climb up this summer. Having climbed it many times in various weather conditions and knowing her ability- she wasn’t ready until now. Plus now she wants it . There is a trend among modern parents to want super achieving kids. Yes,kids can be quite resilient and capable. Overall it’s a reasonable rule.

Smart post. Each child is unique and a wise parent knows her / his limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Smart post. Each child is unique and a wise parent knows her / his limitations.
    Sadly, not all parents are wise, or even moderately smart.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    no one "deserves" a record - but as I stated i a previous post, they have demonstrated more ability then many that baxter deems "worthy"
    That was Backpacking Buddy. IIRC they got a permit for him to go above treeline (though he was above treeline many times already).

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    why spam every AT forum you can find with Baxter info that is readily accessible by anybody - its not like the park rules are hidden away and only you are the keeper of the info
    If only every visitor to Baxter was as well informed as you!
    If that were the case the dozens of families who show up every season wanting to take junior above timberline wouldn't show up wanting to take junior above timberline.
    Tell me, tell us, how would you get the info out to people who show up claiming they had no idea about Rule 2.2?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    If only every visitor to Baxter was as well informed as you!
    If that were the case the dozens of families who show up every season wanting to take junior above timberline wouldn't show up wanting to take junior above timberline.
    Tell me, tell us, how would you get the info out to people who show up claiming they had no idea about Rule 2.2?
    if the park thought it was such a big problem and wants to do more they can. the park already has a facebook page and a website - at some point its on the guests to put some very very minimal effort in.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I've already given them time to watch their videos at the beginning of their hike and then I was done with them. Now I don't care. Cheers for wasting time until next trip. Mine starts tomorrow. :-)
    Yeah, because having almost 900 posts on an Internet forum is not a waste of time? To each his own.

You missed the point. I was sympathetic to him referring to himself as wasting his time on a forum until he gets to go outdoors this weekend. To that I was saying I do the same, except my trip starts tomorrow.

Let me go

Wait, I got 900 posts? Wow. Since 2010. That's like 100 posts per year. 10 posts per month. Sounds about right

Let me go

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    why are you here - if you want to be closed minded

I had my doubts, but they are close to pulling it off - there are a hell of a lot worse things those kids could be exposed to
    George - keep in mind you are posting in a forum of like minded people. The rule was put in place due to adults making poor choices on the AT trail. We all keep an open mind until someone over steps their bounds or provides a good reason to be put on ignore prior to be being expelled from WB, I have about 18 past posters on ignore for good reasons. Replying to a few individuals can be a clear mistake, that will not benefit others.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Wait, I got 900 posts? Wow. Since 2010. That's like 100 posts per year. 10 posts per month. Sounds about right

Heck, some of us have had more posts than that in a single thread!

E869666F-A14E-4BBD-889C-E44E78AECECE.png
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

That’s what happens when you have a conversation about nothing.

I’m still curious why this odd rule exists. Nobody seems to know. I’ve hiked many miles on the AT and don’t ever recall seeing anyone below age 10. Is this really a big problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    I’m still curious why this odd rule exists. Nobody seems to know. I’ve hiked many miles on the AT and don’t ever recall seeing anyone below age 10. Is this really a big problem?
    its not an AT rule its a Baxter rule...i would guess there was an issue in the past that prompted it, the rule has been in place for around 40 years so this is nothing new...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++