WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Garmin inReach Plans

Looking at the Garmin Website, I see that just like cell phone plans, there seems to be plenty of fine print about additional fees.

For anyone who has used the Garmin Freedom Plan (month-to-month rather than annual contract), could you share what your real-world cost of the plan has been?
    (Activation fees, monthly cost after taxes, cost & details on deactivating/reactivating for the off season, etc.)

It worked decently for me this summer on a Sheltowee Trace thru hike (323 miles). I think we bought the recreation plan. It does not have unlimited texting. We did go over the allotted messsges, but we had decided the cost was worth it. I think the expedition plan offers unlimited texting. You can send three different canned messages free. I setup "starting my hike", "stopping here for the night", and "pick me up here". That covers most of what you need to say.

Our only issue with the InReach is that it would frequently not be able to communicate. One night I sent messsges at 9 pm. It would not send. Left the device oriented properly and attached to a trekking pole all night above the ground. At 3 a.m. it finally woke me with the beeping sounds of sending/receiving messages from 6 hours earlier. Another night it sent/received just fine laying sideways, on bottom of tent and covered with gear, during a pouring rain. Sometimes the delay of 5 or 15 min. would be annoying when trying to call for a pickup. Most times messages sent almost immediately.

Maybe my device is defective? Or is this normal? I have no idea. But it's better then nothing by a long shot. In many areas you just don't have cell service.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Garmin has the details of the difference in their 'Safety', 'Recreation', 'Expedition', and 'Extreme' plans here.

While I do greatly appreciate the real world experience shared (something that really is more important than the cost of the plans), and welcome additional users to share their experience with the use of the Garmin devices, the source of my question comes from things like the fine print...
    prices do not include the following: federal Universal Service Fund Fee and applicable state/local taxes
    So as an example, I have Verizon Wireless and live in Birmingham. It's easy to find online that for each phone on my plan, there is a $20 device access fee, plus $70 for the particular data plan I'm on.
    What you won't find on the Verizon web (you'll only learn once you start getting billed) is that I pay about an additional $5 per phone per month in taxes and fees.

So for the Garmin plans, how much more are people paying beyond the $14.95/$34.95/$$64.95/$99.95 plan prices?

Just looked at several bills from last year, universal service fee was about $1.30 and state sales tax tacked on another 4.5%. On the bills I looked at, taxes and fees were not more than 2 bucks per month for the freedom recreation plan.

My last months bill was $22.54 C$ for the Freedom Safety Plan. I’m on a month to month.
    Not that this was asked, but also added the $20 Search and Rescue feature which covers evacuation costs up to $100,000.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

the source of my question comes from things like the fine print...prices do not include the following: federal Universal Service Fund Fee and applicable state/local taxes

I have the Annual Rec Plan.

Summary of Current Charges

Charges for Services. $24.95
    Subtotal. $24.95
    Excise Tax (Wireless) $0.20
    Fed USF Cellular. $1.00
    NY Franchise 184. $0.03
    NY Sales Tax. $2.10
    Total New Charges. $28.28
    Total Due. $28.28

My bill fluctuates each month between $28.16 - $28.36.

Hope that helps.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Like to hear from some more people (especially those that occasionally discontinue service and reestablish it later)...
    But it sounds like someone wishing to sign up for the lower tier plans can expect additional fees in the neighborhood of $2.50 - $3.

++ New Posts ++