WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hostels in Connecticut

Anyone have any experience with the hiker hostels in Connecticut? Recommendations one way or another?

I didn't stay at any hostels in CT but I did get shuttled by Jessica Treat of "Jess's Place" (Sheffield, MA) and she came to pick me up 46 miles later when I had gotten very sick, she put me up in her hostel and took me back to the airport. I will be using Jess again at the end of the month for a late night pickup from the airport and a stay at her hostel. I would give her an A+
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

There are only three that I know of. The Bearded woods and Maria or Vanessa's place in Salisbury.

The Bearded Woods is way off the trail, you have to call for a pick up. But it's a really nice place to stay.

Maria and Vanessa offer a few beds in their house. Very limited capacity and not your usual hostel set up.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I didn't stay at any hostels in CT but I did get shuttled by Jessica Treat of "Jess's Place" (Sheffield, MA) and she came to pick me up 46 miles later when I had gotten very sick, she put me up in her hostel and took me back to the airport. I will be using Jess again at the end of the month for a late night pickup from the airport and a stay at her hostel. I would give her an A+
    Thanks, I have stayed at Jess'. Agree with the A+.

According to their web site, Bearded Woods is closed for the 2018 season. Tbanks for the note about the other two.

Jim,
    Not having to do with Hostels, but my notes are fresh for CT if you would like the following info...
    1-10 mile river/ Anderson bridge - outstanding spot with tenting

2-Kent CT is extremely overpriced, the fife n drum is extremely not hiker friendly however the kent pizza garden was very hiker friendly. Allowed us to hang our clothes to dry, charge our phones, and wrapped up leftovers to be suitable for a backpack.

3-st johns ledge just prior to kent is not a long climb, but is rough as a corn cob, and although it only took us 10-15 minutes to get up, it was at the end of a 20 mile day, and if you were to fall backwards (we went sobo) the outcome would be painful so be careful there

4- Not within CT, but just over the state line is Wingdale/ Pawling NY. We stayed at the Duchess for a night and it was a fair price and clean for what it is.

The Dutchess got some pretty bad reviews.... just sayin'..

The Dutchess is what it is, a fair step above the Doyle, Fair step below a Hilton. I think it was about 85 bucks for both of us for the night. A taxi minimum is $20 in that town so to go to dinner was $40 on top of food and drink.

If I hadn't crap my pants 2 days prior and needed a laundry and a whiskey refill we probably would have moved on passed it, especially if we had already been on the trail for a couple weeks, but we had just started that trip and a motel on night 3 was a welcome sight.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 07-25-2018 at 13:24.

Sorry to hear that Bearded Woods was closed for this season. Hudson and his wife are two of the best at providing hikers what they are looking for. The downstairs is cozy, but is a solid place to sleep, clean and have hiker fellowship.

Hudson provided the most informative, detailed and spot on assessment of the trail north of CT. He flat out told us what to expect and when we got there, we said, "Hudson nailed it". He has lots of hiking experience and was a great host. They provide a nice slack pack option to give hikers a little extra TLC for two night stays. Good food on top of all this good stuff. I hope they open back up next year.

I see that the Hitching Post Motel is running about $110/night. Well at least it's convenient - across the road from an outfitter and a liquor store, and next door to what we old timers will probably always refer to as "Baird's Store," purveyor of groceries and deli sandwiches.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There are only three that I know of. The Bearded woods and Maria or Vanessa's place in Salisbury.

The Bearded Woods is way off the trail, you have to call for a pick up. But it's a really nice place to stay.

Maria and Vanessa offer a few beds in their house. Very limited capacity and not your usual hostel set up.
    I recommend Maria McCabe’s house. She has a sign on her porch “I love Hikers”. Her terrific attitude make it worth the stay.

Only caveat, I hope she’s still in business, two years ago she was 87 years young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I recommend Maria McCabe’s house. She has a sign on her porch “I love Hikers”. Her terrific attitude make it worth the stay.

Only caveat, I hope she’s still in business, two years ago she was 87 years young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Still going strong this summer 2018...hikers are pitching in to help !!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Maria McCabe is great - what a dear kind lady. I still remember how sweet and thoughtful she was when I showed up drenched from a cold November rain. Probably my favorite person I met on the AT.

++ New Posts ++