WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Duncan Ridge Trail (GA) any news on recent conditions, especially water?

Hey All,

Next week I hope to hike the GA Loop. My version will start at Three Forks (AT/BMT), take the BMT NOBO at Long Creek Falls, and split off on the DRT on Rhodes Mt. From there, join up with the Coosa BCT at Vogel, and then the DRT connection to the AT just south of Blood Mt. I may or may not take a side trip to Blood Mt, but either way from there I will hike SOBO back to Three Forks.

I hope to make it in 4 days and 3 nights, but will have an extra day's worth of food JIC.

Does anyone have any recent info on the DRT, especially the water sources at Sarvis Gap, Mulky Gap and Whiteoak Stomp? I'm hoping that the relatively wet year we've had so far will mean that the creeks/springs are flowing there, but first-hand knowledge would be a great help if anyone knows. Thanks errbody!

John, you live in my neck of the woods and know how much rain we have had. I have never seen the water sources flowing like they are now in the mountains. Forecasts remain wet next week. I hiked the Georgia Loop when much drier and can almost guarantee you won't have a water problem. Have fun. It is an awesome but extremely tough hike. I have never cussed mountains like I did on the DR section.
    Please post a trip report. Even better, make a video.

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    John, you live in my neck of the woods and know how much rain we have had. I have never seen the water sources flowing like they are now in the mountains. Forecasts remain wet next week. I hiked the Georgia Loop when much drier and can almost guarantee you won't have a water problem. Have fun. It is an awesome but extremely tough hike. I have never cussed mountains like I did on the DR section.
    Please post a trip report. Even better, make a video.
    Thanks Carl. I don't anticipate having water problems with all the rain we're getting, like you said, but it's always something I like to try to check on when hiking the lesser-known trails. I'm working on my water management skills so I'm not carrying a lot of extra water weight and for trails like the AT where there's so much info that's pretty easy.

I remember reading your report from a couple years ago, and that was when I knew I had to go see for myself lol! Time and opportunity are finally coming together!

My understanding is that that the DRT from Mulky to Wolfpen is the crux for water. I do know there are a couple of chances to go off-ridge and get water but I don't believe there are any springs or water crossings. As you noted, however, everywhere else seems to have plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    My understanding is that that the DRT from Mulky to Wolfpen is the crux for water. I do know there are a couple of chances to go off-ridge and get water but I don't believe there are any springs or water crossings. As you noted, however, everywhere else seems to have plenty.
    There's supposed to be water at Whiteoak Stomp.

I'll be EBO, so Mulky is at 7.2m after the DRT splits from the BMT on Rhodes Mt, and Whiteoak is at 12.5m. Then Wolfpen is at 15.6 miles, so that wouldn't be a major water carry IMO.

My main concern is being able to find the water at the places where the guidebook says it is, because it doesn't seem like it's right on the trail or even marked well to find it.

John: I am sure you have seen this thread.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...t=duncan+ridge

Don't forget about Sarvis Gap. That will be your first water source at the 2.6 mile mark from the BMT junction with the DRT.

I hiked the DRT in the opposite direction from you and remember the water sources were always to my left. So obviously, they will be to your right.

There should be a small W sign near the trail at the water sources. With all the rain this year, the paths down to the water sources are going to be very overgrown but you should be able to follow them.

Also, not trying to preach to the choir, but be very careful with ticks. I have never seen them so bad as they are this year.

Have fun.

Not sure if you have Sgt. Rocks BMT book but it includes a page on the DRT which I have attached. I can email it to you if needed.

DRT.JPG

Not sure if you have Sgt. Rocks BMT book but it includes a page on the DRT which I have attached. I can email it to you if needed.

DRT.JPG
    Yup I have it, thanks! I've printed a copy of that page and some maps from Caltopo showing the route and water source waypoints. I also did notice that all of the water sources will be to my right or south of the trail, that makes it simpler for me lol.

I'm going to dose my shoes, socks, pants and shirt with permethrin and also carry some picardin based repellent with me, hopefully that will keep the ticks off.

My biggest question is the water source that's supposed to be at the campsite on Rhodes just before the DRT splits from the BMT (going NOBO on the BMT). Supposed to be a scramble down about 300'... have you ever seen it? I plan on camping there the first night if i can make it that far lol. (labeled water 004 in the cropped pic insert below)

1st GA Loop campsite.PNG

I haven't, but I have talked about it with someone who has. He says it is indeed a tough walk down and up, pretty steep.

I know the water source you referenced. It is a long way down the mountain on a twisting path. I do remember that it was not an easy fill up but very doable and this was in early-April when it was fairly dry. I would guess now with all the rain that you will have zero problems. (I just jinxed the hell out of you).

Don't miss the Toccoa River Swinging Bridge camping area, if possible. It is one of my favorite camping spots in N. Georgia, right on the banks of the largest stocked trout stream in the state.

Also, there is a box spring to your left hiking north on the BMT before Highway 60. It is not marked.

The spring is probably 1/4-1/3 mile south of the highway before you hit the houses to your right. You may have to look hard but when you hear water, keeping looking left and you can see it down a slight incline about 40 feet from the trail. The box is made of cement and is roughly 4 feet high. An excellent water source that I don't even filter. You might tank up there just in case there is no water at your campsite.

I know the water source you referenced. It is a long way down the mountain on a twisting path. I do remember that it was not an easy fill up but very doable and this was in early-April when it was fairly dry. I would guess now with all the rain that you will have zero problems. (I just jinxed the hell out of you).

Don't miss the Toccoa River Swinging Bridge camping area, if possible. It is one of my favorite camping spots in N. Georgia, right on the banks of the largest stocked trout stream in the state.

Also, there is a box spring to your left hiking north on the BMT before Highway 60. It is not marked.

The spring is probably 1/4-1/3 mile south of the highway before you hit the houses to your right. You may have to look hard but when you hear water, keeping looking left and you can see it down a slight incline about 40 feet from the trail. The box is made of cement and is roughly 4 feet high. An excellent water source that I don't even filter. You might tank up there just in case there is no water at your campsite.
    Yeah I'm thinking the box spring might be the better option to camel up, I just hate the thought of carrying all that water up Wallalah and Licklog, but sounds like that might be easier than trying to get to that particular water source. I also might stop short anyway, for a more sheltered camp spot- weather ain't looking too great next week haha! I'm going to be pretty soggy out there if the forecast holds.

I've been thru there before on the BMT but never camped there. It is a beautiful area. Hopefully I can camp there another time, but this trip is going to be more about testing/pushing myself, and that will only be about 9 miles into my hike. I'm shooting to average 15m a day.

Forecast looks like a great week to go hiking! GA Loop here I come!

drt weather.PNG

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

The water source at 003 is indeed way, way down. It basically adds another climb to your hike. But it's reliable, well marked, the trail is easy to find and there are lots of good campsites beside the trail there.

I'd be very interested in a trip report too. The GATC will be re-working the trail between White Oak and Coosa Bald in August. But it won't be made less steep.

I'd really like to know the blackberry encroachment areas between Fish and Mulky.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Forecast looks like a great week to go hiking! GA Loop here I come!

drt weather.PNG
    You are truly lucky. This is the first dry week I can remember in Georgia in at least 3 months. Have fun on the DRT part. It is the hardest trail I have ever hiked. Paine and Aiken. The most ironic names ever for mountains. But well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    The water source at 003 is indeed way, way down. It basically adds another climb to your hike. But it's reliable, well marked, the trail is easy to find and there are lots of good campsites beside the trail there.

I'd be very interested in a trip report too. The GATC will be re-working the trail between White Oak and Coosa Bald in August. But it won't be made less steep.

I'd really like to know the blackberry encroachment areas between Fish and Mulky.
    Can you tell me what you mean by "blackberry encroachment areas"? Blackberry bushes encroaching on the trail maybe? If so I hope they are loaded haha, free food =)

Thanks for the info on the 003 water. I think I'm going to carry from the spring box just S of hwy 60 but glad to know it's there.

I'll definitely try to get a report posted in a timely manner and hopefully a trip video as well. BTW I've studied your past reports in preparation for this hike, they're the best trail guide on the DRT I've been able to find! Thanks for sharing the info!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Can you tell me what you mean by "blackberry encroachment areas"? Blackberry bushes encroaching on the trail maybe? If so I hope they are loaded haha, free food =)
    Hike in shorts. Report the areas where your legs get bloody. That's a blackberry encroachment area. No fruit, sorry, it's past time for that but it's time for the canes to thicken and bend over.

It's way past time for me to take my yellow jacket nest dowsing rod out there to clear the trail. Some people call it a weed whacker. Point is, I'd like to know where the weeds need to be whacked back.

Have a great trip! The weather should be amazing for late July/early August.

Images

(This year I've been practicing "Leave No Trace" trail maintenance.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Hike in shorts. Report the areas where your legs get bloody. That's a blackberry encroachment area. No fruit, sorry, it's past time for that but it's time for the canes to thicken and bend over.

It's way past time for me to take my yellow jacket nest dowsing rod out there to clear the trail. Some people call it a weed whacker. Point is, I'd like to know where the weeds need to be whacked back.

Have a great trip! The weather should be amazing for late July/early August.
    Haha I got ya. I had already planned on wearing convertible pants/shorts, more to avoid poison ivy than blackberry bushes but hopefully they will protect from those as well! I'll try to let you know what I see out there!

Going NOBO, it would be going up Clements Mountain. And no berries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++